Author Topic: Let's see your squirrel rifle!!!  (Read 352886 times)

Tmas

Re: Let's see your squirrel rifle!!!
« Reply #225 on: June 03, 2015, 12:33:50 AM »
Gentleman:

First, I would like to introduce myself.  I use Tmas for Thomas.  I was born a U'per in Northern Michigan.  My first job was in East Tennessee.  I never fully recovered from that adventure.  I am long retired and am living in So. California.

With retirement I rekindled an interest in building a flintlock muzzle loader.  I love the looks of The Southern Mountain Rifle, and am intrigued with the possibility of a couple 100 yard X's with a flintlock.

I have been enjoying this thread, nice pictures of beautiful guns, and some great incites.  The question I had when I started here was,”Which caliber gives the best accuracy?”.   The answer to that question seems to be in one of my favorite E Tenn expressions.  “You pays your money and takes you choices”.  I might also add, it depends on how dead you want your squirrels or  how far you want to walk to change your paper targets.  I like accuracy in a rifle and think one of the Rice, 40 cal. 44 inch barrels, maybe swamped if it will give better balance/a steady hold.

Last, when I could get a couple of E. Tenn squirrels I made Brunswick Stew.  Squirrel browned in bacon grease.  Add some rabbet or chicken if you need more meat.  A couple of onions also browned after the meat. Water, about a quart for every pair of bushy tails.  This gets simmered for about 1 ½ hours, so you simmer it for about 45 min then add the following at the proper time so that they are cooked but not mush when you are finished; carrots, potatoes, fresh butter beans, and fresh corn.  Corn bread goes well with this one.

Thanks for an enjoyable read.

Tmas

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #226 on: June 03, 2015, 03:28:04 AM »
Gentleman:

First, I would like to introduce myself.  I use Tmas for Thomas.  I was born a U'per in Northern Michigan.  My first job was in East Tennessee.  I never fully recovered from that adventure.  I am long retired and am living in So. California.

With retirement I rekindled an interest in building a flintlock muzzle loader.  I love the looks of The Southern Mountain Rifle, and am intrigued with the possibility of a couple 100 yard X's with a flintlock.

I have been enjoying this thread, nice pictures of beautiful guns, and some great incites.  The question I had when I started here was,”Which caliber gives the best accuracy?”.   The answer to that question seems to be in one of my favorite E Tenn expressions.  “You pays your money and takes you choices”.  I might also add, it depends on how dead you want your squirrels or  how far you want to walk to change your paper targets.  I like accuracy in a rifle and think one of the Rice, 40 cal. 44 inch barrels, maybe swamped if it will give better balance/a steady hold.

Last, when I could get a couple of E. Tenn squirrels I made Brunswick Stew.  Squirrel browned in bacon grease.  Add some rabbet or chicken if you need more meat.  A couple of onions also browned after the meat. Water, about a quart for every pair of bushy tails.  This gets simmered for about 1 ½ hours, so you simmer it for about 45 min then add the following at the proper time so that they are cooked but not mush when you are finished; carrots, potatoes, fresh butter beans, and fresh corn.  Corn bread goes well with this one.

Thanks for an enjoyable read.

Tmas

Welcome, that sounds like a nice meal on a fall or winter evening!

~Tony
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 07:00:41 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #227 on: June 03, 2015, 05:25:58 AM »
Welcome Tmas!  You will enjoy your stay here.

I recommend Rice's B 40 cla in 44" length.  It will give you a rifle around 8 1/2 pounds and make your favourite offhand rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #228 on: June 03, 2015, 06:27:05 PM »
Tmas,
Where are you in So Cal?

I'm just a bit east of San Diego. You anyplace close?

John
John Robbins

Offline Kermit

« Reply #229 on: June 03, 2015, 06:59:13 PM »
I'm in Temecula, Tmas. Have we got you surrounded?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #230 on: June 03, 2015, 07:58:16 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Tmas.  I also like the SMR a lot and have one in .36.  Whatever rifle you have built get it with a swamped barrel!  There is nothing like the balance of a nice flintlock longrifle with a swamped barrel. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Tmas

« Reply #231 on: June 03, 2015, 11:56:52 PM »
Gentlemen:

Thanks for all the welcomes and replies.

I am in Menifee Ca. just on the edge of Sun City.  My son is a member of the North County Shootist Assoc.  in the Pala Indian Reservation, North San Diego Co.  We drop by there some Fridays.

I had worked and lived in San Diego for about 10 years in the early 1990's.

I would be up to visiting anywhere between Riverside and San Diego.  Possible further depending on where and what is going on. 

TAYLOR;

I took the opportunity to visit your website.  What a collection of gun pictures all with very nice carving and metal work.  Congratulations.

I believe it will be a 40 cal. with a 44 in. swamped B weight barrel from Rice.  Is there anything else that comes highly recommended.  Maybe a Davis double set trigger and a Chamber lock?

Tmas

Offline Kermit

« Reply #232 on: June 13, 2015, 06:49:34 PM »
Just to bump this up again, this .28 is worth an oogle or two:

https://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2015/06/jack-duprey-rifle-from-gary-ganas.html?m=1
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 05:10:52 AM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #233 on: June 14, 2015, 01:39:16 PM »
Gentlemen:

Thanks for all the welcomes and replies.

I am in Menifee Ca. just on the edge of Sun City.  My son is a member of the North County Shootist Assoc.  in the Pala Indian Reservation, North San Diego Co.  We drop by there some Fridays.

I had worked and lived in San Diego for about 10 years in the early 1990's.

I would be up to visiting anywhere between Riverside and San Diego.  Possible further depending on where and what is going on. 

TAYLOR;

I took the opportunity to visit your website.  What a collection of gun pictures all with very nice carving and metal work.  Congratulations.

I believe it will be a 40 cal. with a 44 in. swamped B weight barrel from Rice.  Is there anything else that comes highly recommended.  Maybe a Davis double set trigger and a Chamber lock?

Tmas

Tmas....It is my opinion that you could put that set of parts on a broom handle and have a pretty decent shootin' iron.
All you need to add is a good set of sights that will suit your purpose, and eyesight. 
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

nosrettap1958

« Reply #234 on: June 14, 2015, 02:47:25 PM »
Here is also a beautiful Southern by Nate McKenzie.

http://www.natemckenzie.com/gun-galleries/southern-rifles/

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #235 on: June 14, 2015, 07:17:56 PM »
This baby will be in my hands soon!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 05:11:20 AM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #236 on: June 15, 2015, 04:11:06 AM »
I'll be happy to check that baby out for you; don't thank me, just being neighborly. ;D

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #237 on: June 15, 2015, 04:42:34 AM »
Call me selfish, but I get first shot! ;D

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #238 on: June 16, 2015, 04:46:08 AM »
Skychief---thanks for getting this thread started.It has become my favorite also.Some fine guns,and recipies too.I really like the 3/4 40 Rayle barrl on my entry,it is nice of my wife to let me shoot Pretty Girl.Keep it up fellers!Good stuffs here. Dave F ;D :D

SteveMKentucky

« Reply #239 on: July 15, 2015, 05:10:07 AM »
My new squirrel gun is still in progress.  Rice 42" .32 and Chambers Late Ketland.  I forged the butt plate and trigger guard.  Nosecap  and toe plate will be poured pewter from an old British stein.  She's actually a little further on than this, but I don't have newer pictures:

This is a gun I made last year.  It was a test mule to practice on.  The stock was a pre-inletted stock from Tip Curtis, the lock is an L&R, barrel 38", .36 Colerain.  I forged the butt plate and trigger guard.  Nose cap is poured pewter.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 05:14:07 AM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Kermit

« Reply #240 on: July 15, 2015, 06:54:22 PM »
Show us more of the .32 when you have a chance. (Nice 90/6, BTW. Miss mine.)

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #241 on: July 15, 2015, 08:15:16 PM »
Yes, that will be a great rifle!

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #242 on: July 16, 2015, 12:05:18 AM »
That /6 caught my eye also.
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Kermit

« Reply #243 on: August 22, 2015, 12:57:57 AM »
Time for a bump here. Surely we haven't exhausted squirrel rifles! Don't be shy!

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #244 on: August 22, 2015, 11:32:37 AM »
I posted my new 40 cal. SMR in Gun Building..My New Davis Rifle.
I'd lost track of this great thread. Glad it popped up again. I love these small caliber longrifles folks are showing off.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Kermit

« Reply #245 on: August 22, 2015, 07:23:38 PM »
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 05:15:35 AM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #246 on: August 22, 2015, 09:12:35 PM »
Okay, now; let me see what I can add to keep this great thread going.

This .45 late Lancaster has been my main deer rifle for quite a few years but did serve briefly with squirrels.  I learned that it had to be waay downloaded and head hots only.  The barrel is 36" making it about the handiest rifle I own.  This is the rifle pictured along with my signature. 

A little Mongrel-built .45.  The short (25") but heavy barrel makes it a fine off hand shooter and an easy to carry woods rifle.  Now THIS is a reasonable large bore squirrel getter.

Willbarq

« Reply #247 on: August 23, 2015, 08:58:37 AM »
1/2 stocked squirrel rifle, for big squirrels

We meant to shoot squirrels with, not shoot squirrels out of. Circus act?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #248 on: September 07, 2015, 02:25:22 AM »
Nice, easy loading crown, though-eh?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Kermit

« Reply #249 on: September 07, 2015, 07:40:50 PM »
A .311 ball ought to slide down that bore right easy. What do you use for patching?