Author Topic: New guy to the forum gettin ready for my next build  (Read 9991 times)

FoxRiver

New guy to the forum gettin ready for my next build
« on: March 28, 2010, 02:35:12 PM »
Getting my parts list together for a "James River Basin" rifle.
Plan on it having a 50.cal  Colerain or Gets barrel.
Round faced "English" lock.
+4 maple stock.

Wish I would have found this site last year!!!
this was my first build

16ga. Colerain barrel.
R.E. Davis  lock
El cheepo, never heeled a "long rifle" till I built one...wish I would have done more reaserch build. ::)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: New guy to the forum gettin ready for my next build
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 03:56:05 PM »
Keep us posted.  We'd love to see more Southern "Golden Age" guns here.
Andover, Vermont

northmn

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 02:43:22 AM »
I got one pretty much like the top one also.  Bet you get yours done before mine as usually the first few builds have more motivation.  Great hobby have fun.

DP

FoxRiver

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 02:24:50 PM »
Im still trying to make up my mind what barrel I want.
TOTW doesnt have the Colerain barrel I want in stock, dont no if I want to back order.
I have never had to deal with TOTW on back orders, and have always had good luck with them, but I have heared others have had to weight quite a while for back order stuff.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 03:25:08 PM »
Try Tip Curtis or MBS or one of the other suppliers.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 04:13:19 PM »
Im still trying to make up my mind what barrel I want.
TOTW doesnt have the Colerain barrel I want in stock, dont no if I want to back order.
I have never had to deal with TOTW on back orders, and have always had good luck with them, but I have heared others have had to weight quite a while for back order stuff.

You could also try Troy Roope at Stonewallcreekoutfitters.com
He always keeps a very large supply of Colerain barrels.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 04:18:09 PM by James Rogers »

keweenaw

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 07:55:56 PM »
Rice Barrel Co. usually has quite a few styles of barrels in stock.  Absolutely first class stuff.828-628-3627.

Tom

FoxRiver

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 02:22:56 PM »
will do

what size lock would be proper for this style rifle?in 50cal.   round faced lock

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 03:34:53 PM »
Foxy........you are really going about this whole gun making thing the hard way.    I know, everyone wants to build one from "scratch", but you should be a legitimate gunbuilder before you try that.   Before you do any cutting on that blank,
I would try to look at some guns and determine what you would like to build, then, send that blank, along with your barrel, to one of the barrel inletters/stock shapers and get some work done before you start whittling on it.    This will
give you some basic architecture to work with.   Believe me, you will have a lot of work left to do after having this shaping
done...............Don

Offline TPH

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 12:00:45 AM »
Have you considered contacting Colerain directly? They are great to work with. Talk to Scott Keller, there contact information is on their website at:

http://www.colerainbarrel.com/

Not trying to put any of the vendors out of business but there is more than one way to skin a cat.
T.P. Hern

FoxRiver

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 12:07:46 AM »
"Foxy........you are really going about this whole gun making thing the hard way.    I know, everyone wants to build one from "scratch", but you should be a legitimate gunbuilder before you try that.   Before you do any cutting on that blank,
I would try to look at some guns and determine what you would like to build, then, send that blank, along with your barrel, to one of the barrel inletters/stock shapers and get some work done before you start whittling on it.    This will
give you some basic architecture to work with.   Believe me, you will have a lot of work left to do after having this shaping
done...............Don "

So the one pictured was that bad? 

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 08:24:03 PM »

Looked fine to me. We can't see much of it, admittedly, but I don't see anything particularly wrong. I think Don has just forgotten that this isn't your first build. If you have never held a longrifle, going to a show or somewhere where you can do so would probably be a good idea, armed with camera and/or sketchpad.

Anyhow, I pretty much started by building from scratch, and don't see why other folks couldn't. I had a mentor, however.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 11:47:55 PM »
"Foxy........you are really going about this whole gun making thing the hard way.    I know, everyone wants to build one from "scratch", but you should be a legitimate gunbuilder before you try that.   Before you do any cutting on that blank,
done...............Don "

Looks to me that Don's trying to save you work by suggesting you get the barrel channel done, ramrod groove done, and ramrod hole drilled, leaving you plenty more work to do.  Those are sort of the foundation and everything else works from that basis.  The guys who do this inletting and drilling work can also roughly trim the blank to a particular profile if you give them some info (Bucks County, Verner style, 13.5" pull, etc).  Just saying there's a LOT of wood to remove from a blank and the pros can rough something out for you quickly and leave you a lot of room to make a true custom.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 12:13:33 AM »
Hate to disagree with Don, but there's nothing wrong with going about it the hard way. It depends on your level of dedication and if are not into instant gratification. And in my humble opinion, the personal satisfaction in " stocking " the whole rifle is worth the effort.

I expect Don knows this also.

FoxRiver

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 12:47:27 AM »
I did think about doing a "kit" this time, more to save time,  but I liked building this first one and cant see  spending that much cash for something I can do myself.
I have seen a few longrifles now,  WOW it is impresive, the lack of wood that makes the stock.  I read Recreating the American Longrifle before and during the build, so I new how thin the stock was to be, I just wish I would have taken it to hart.  ::)

I havnt been able to find much history on "Virginia" longrifles,  but I have found some pics of a few.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 01:58:27 AM »
Foxy.....my apology, I didn't realize that had built the one below as your first gun.....good effort.    I've built a few from
blanks, now I find that I don't really need all that extra work.    I've been out of the gunbuilding business for nearly
five months, but, finally got back into it this week.   John handed me a barrel on monday fresh out of the riflling machine.
I already had a pre-shaped lancaster stock waiting.   I then proceeded to belt sand the flats and then breeched it, and
fit the tang into the stock.....actually did this on tuesday.   Since it is going to be another barn gun, I also sawed out
the profile for the butt.  On wednesday I sawed off the extra wood out along the barrel and did some re-shaping of the
butt portion of the stock, just to make it look different.    I shortened up the comb, and also put a slight concave shape
to the lower butt portion....really makes a difference......takes it out of the standard lancaster stuff.  Didn't have too much
time on thursday, but did get four underlugs made and fit to the barrel, also inlet them into the stock and put the barrel
pins in place.   Today I got the lock inlet finshed.   If things progress as well next week it should be ready for stain by
friday.  If I had started with a blank, I might have the barrel inlet.....boy I never did like that "scut" work........Don

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 02:11:45 AM »
Foxy.....my apology, I didn't realize that had built the one below as your first gun.....good effort.    I've built a few from
blanks, now I find that I don't really need all that extra work.    I've been out of the gunbuilding business for nearly
five months, but, finally got back into it this week.   John handed me a barrel on monday fresh out of the riflling machine.
I already had a pre-shaped lancaster stock waiting.   I then proceeded to belt sand the flats and then breeched it, and
fit the tang into the stock.....actually did this on tuesday.   Since it is going to be another barn gun, I also sawed out
the profile for the butt.  On wednesday I sawed off the extra wood out along the barrel and did some re-shaping of the
butt portion of the stock, just to make it look different.    I shortened up the comb, and also put a slight concave shape
to the lower butt portion....really makes a difference......takes it out of the standard lancaster stuff.  Didn't have too much
time on thursday, but did get four underlugs made and fit to the barrel, also inlet them into the stock and put the barrel
pins in place.   Today I got the lock inlet finshed.   If things progress as well next week it should be ready for stain by
friday.  If I had started with a blank, I might have the barrel inlet.....boy I never did like that "scut" work........Don
Good to hear your at it again.  Beat the bursitis did you? 

FoxRiver

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 05:57:00 AM »
It took me 2 months to inlet the swamped Colerain oct to round. :-\

that was the only crapy part of the whole thing....on this one :P

FoxRiver

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 05:58:35 AM »
Ah....so what size lock do I go with ;D

g.pennell

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 02:15:12 PM »
I'd imagine for a James River gun one of the English import locks, either the Chambers round-faced or early Ketland would be appropriate.  Both are kinda on the large side.

I'm using an early Ketland on a Valley rifle I'm gathering parts for.  This one will be along the lines of the Haymaker rifle.

Greg

FoxRiver

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 02:30:39 PM »
thanks
I figured It would be a larger lock

FoxRiver

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 05:09:13 AM »
got a box full of parts the other day.
L@R lock
4 grade curly maple blank
butt plate
thimbles and entry pipe
single trigger
luggs
trigger gard
plan on making the sights, end cap, trigger plate, wood patch box

couldnt make up my mind witch barrel ta go with, be a little while yet.
Cant wate....startin ta BUG OUT :o