Author Topic: ALR at the Frazier w/Pix  (Read 3063 times)

Offline ptk1126

ALR at the Frazier w/Pix
« on: March 28, 2010, 05:39:28 PM »
Yesterday the staff at the Frazier really outdid themselves in hosting a gathering of about 15 ALR members.
In addition to meeting space and free admission, they also invited all the members into the collections area
where about a dozen Schutzen rifles were laid out on tables. Each ALR member was given a pair of white gloves and told to handle (fondle) and photograph whatever they liked.

In addition, they also opened the storage cabinet and invited us to take out and examine anything we
liked. KyFlinter dove headfirst into the cabinet and emerged with two full stock rifles by Louisville builders,
including one by Moses Dixon.

In the meeting room, the staff provided free coffee and softdrinks and bought in sandwiches from a
local cafe. After having lunch and looking at the items brought by members, everyone dispersed to go
through the museum.

I noted two British muskets that I had not seen on previous trips.

It turned out to be such a great day that even the parking lot machine cooperated by breaking
down so parking was free.

I know others took a lot of pix, including a group photo.

All the best
Paul

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: ALR at the Frazier w/Pix
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 06:48:52 AM »
What a great day we had at the Frazier on Saturday!  We owe a huge thanks to Paul K. for arranging our visit with the Frazier staff.  

I wasn't the only one to dive in headfirst!

What a treat to handle some great old pieces and discuss their features.

Three of the many rifles from the Schuetzen collection.

A recently acquired Brown Bess.

After nearly 2 hours in the conservatory, we moved upstairs to continue our meeting and have lunch.

The members discuss Stewart's copy of an original Virginia rifle.

Mike and Joey had a nice display of their work.  Several other members brought originals from their collections and works in progress for critique.

The ALR-Frazier crew.

-Ron

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:07:18 PM by KyFlinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Joey R

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 09:27:10 PM »
Paul K and Ron, THANK YOU! Had a great time at Frazier and seeing the guys again. Frazier's hospitality was second to none and I have already expressed my appreciation to them via e-mail. Ron, thanks also for your help for as you can see my ALR forum access problem has healed itself.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 10:14:59 PM »
Sparkylock,

You are welcome.  Glad you and Mike could make it.  Also glad to see that error cleared up.  I sent Mike an email about his sign-on issue.  Please ask him if he got the email and if not, let me know.  Thanks.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

J Shingler

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 03:34:40 AM »
Absolutely wonderful day for the wife and I. We arrived Fri night, spend a night at a hotel and spent the following day at the Frazier Museum. We left when they finally kicked us out at 5:00 LOL Thanks to all that helped set this up. A great day.

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 06:58:59 PM »
Hey - I recognize some of those mugs.

Must have been a real treat, guys, You are most fortunate.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 07:09:44 PM »
A motley krue for sure!!  but then, what can you expect in KY!!  Well the guns are good looking anyway...........  
Sounds/looks like you had a great time, learned some things and put together some nice memories!!  
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 07:10:03 PM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming