Author Topic: Powder Horn strap attachment  (Read 8220 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Powder Horn strap attachment
« on: March 28, 2010, 09:40:22 PM »
OK guys, I need your help.

I've got two horns that I need to put a strap on.  I have a French and Indian style with the lobed ends and two hole, and the new Sibley horn with the two holes in the baseplug.

My questions is this...... what is the right way to attach a strap to the back of these things.  I have a nice Wilde woven strap, with leather ends, and just a plain leather thong for the other.  So far, I've tried round lace, and square lace, and it just looks tacky.

Any ideas??? Any photos??
In His grip,

Dane

El Lobo

Re: Powder Horn strap attachment
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 06:24:04 AM »
I use a plain leather strap, 1/2 inch wide, wrapped around a staple at the butt end and around a groove near the pour spout and then sewn back on itself on my horn so I have to plead ignorant on woven straps.   However, I did a quick Google search for "powder horn strap" images and found a whole bunch of interesting pictures.  You might try that.

Good luck
Lobo

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 06:43:52 AM »
The question is based on a  horn, with two holes on the buttplug end.  Not a staple.  The single attachment point, is what I've always had, but this is different, and is driving me crazy.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 06:46:01 AM by smallpatch »
In His grip,

Dane

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 07:38:55 AM »
I made a lip horn from a raw horn I picked up from Lee Larkin at Dixon's in '07.  I used an old rein, split the last few inches and having passed them through the holes, tied knots to keep them there.  Works well.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Mike R

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 06:25:03 PM »
I made a lip horn from a raw horn I picked up from Lee Larkin at Dixon's in '07.  I used an old rein, split the last few inches and having passed them through the holes, tied knots to keep them there.  Works well.

that's the way I do it also...never had a problem with it.  If you have a woven strap you simply attach a split leather piece to the ends to attach like this...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 06:27:00 PM by Mike R »

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 07:42:12 PM »
That's perfect guys, thanks.
In His grip,

Dane

omark

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 08:36:52 PM »
i did the same as taylor but put a little tin cone on each strap end.  mark