Author Topic: Who? When? Where?  (Read 3466 times)

Offline nord

Who? When? Where?
« on: March 29, 2010, 03:36:19 PM »
Comments and info will be greatly appreciated...

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 06:24:45 PM by nord »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline nord

Re: Who? When? Where?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 04:27:02 PM »
Hurricane -

Even though I transferred these photos and posted them this morning, I've only now had time to review them in detail. Obviously there's a lot missing and thus room for a wide range of speculation.

I can't say that I'd assign a maker right now as there are details seemingly in conflict with each other. I notice a back action lock mortise, walnut stock, and the lack of a cheekpiece. These details lead me toward a very late gun.

On the other hand I see a somewhat poorly inletted patchbox that seems to come from an earlier era, along with a matching buttplate. Photos would further seem to indicate that the patchbox sits somewhat off the axis I might expect. Maybe the photos.

And so my initial impression remains... Older hardware on a newer gun. I'd be inclined to expect that patchbox and buttplate on a late flinter or very early percussion rifle. Unless my eyes or the photos lead me astray I'd guess from a rifle with more of a Roman nose buttstock as this would have better aligned the box and lock.

Well... You asked for opinions! ;)
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 10:07:46 PM »
I agree - looks like the patchbox, guard and buttplate from a fairly nice late flint era gun, reused on a later percussion/back action piece.  To me the patchbox looks very "Sheets" like but then again so do many others from Rockingham County VA all the way north through the Shenandoah Valley, into Maryland and west into present day West Virginia. 

Guy

Offline ptk1126

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 11:58:46 PM »
To me, the patch box is very similar to one by John Roop that is in the
Ky Rifle Patch box book.

All the best
Paul

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 01:52:35 AM »
A couple more pictures might assist the discussion. It would be helpful to see the tang or its mortise, and also the toe plate. The traces of a dotted border on the patchbox raises the possibility of it possibly being fully engraved at one time, and then "cleaned" or "sanded off" when reused, if in fact it is reused. I wouldn't totally discount it being the original box on this gun until we see a couple of closer pictures of the dotted borders and any other traces of engraving. However, the box and guard with nicely rounded bow and full hook in rear spur seem to have VA roots, one way or another. Note the release button up on top the butt plate return.

The stock wood looks like it might be ash to me, based on the grain on the back side, and lack of grain pattern on the front. I would think the four petal flower in the finial might be identifiable, since it has rather distinctive small square shoulders on the leading edge of each petal, which I don't think is a common feature. I'd be hesitant on assigning a late date to the gun with what little we currently can see.  Stock architecture looks good, and back action locks were becoming popular in the late 1830s. Regardless, it's an interesting old piece of a gun, and hopefully Nord can sweet talk the owner into supplying a few more pictures of details on the gun, particularly the tang or its mortise, any patches of "old" engraving on the box, and the toe plate.  Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 01:56:09 AM by Tanselman »

msmith

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 02:49:36 AM »
Kinda looks like  Sites of Rockingham County Virginia. Also several other Virginia makers, somewhere in Virginia, for sure..........Well almost for sure!

scooter

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 03:03:36 AM »
Since Q is also when -- my 2 cents worth--post 1840--once had a back-action lock apparently. I'd also guess VA, but no idea of an attribution.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 01:55:20 AM »
Would anyone agree that this patchbox is related to , perhaps identical to, the guns illustrated in Whisker, Gunsmiths of Virginia, on pages 193 and 194. Gunsmith is William Sites.