Author Topic: stock profile  (Read 3428 times)

ken

stock profile
« on: March 31, 2010, 02:14:42 AM »
When setting up a stock profile, how do you get the proper fit at the wrist and proper drop for that individual? I understand setting up pull, but drop seems to be a mystery ???

northmn

Re: stock profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 02:40:02 AM »
Put a straight edge on the top barrel flat if its a straight barrel  measure down to the buttplate from that straight edge.  Drop at comb you do the dame.  On a swamped barrel you may need to shim a straight plane to do so. 

DP

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 03:49:32 AM »
What I have done is record a lot of the rifles that I have made and/or have had in the shop, with notes about their suitability as shooters.  These records include Drop at heel, and comb, length of pull, weight and barrel type.  Now I just refer to dimensions that I like, and aweigh I go.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

ken

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 01:57:11 PM »
would it make sence for me to take a profile and put a pevet at the wrist to get the fit for a given person

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 03:27:33 PM »
"Try" stocks are a good way.  Actually shooting several guns with different profiles is even better...... find what fits and which can be shouldered with eyes closed...and when you open them the sights are aligned......
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

The other DWS

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 04:06:34 PM »
I'd think you'd want to know a bit more about the gun's purpose.  target--offhand or prone specific,  hunting--small bore big bore, and gun weight, what kind of game,   weather conditions---how much clothing (padding)  All of these could have an impact on the stock design requirement for a custom gun.   Also the customers face structure effects how his head and the stock must be positioned to get the right sight line.

Having a selection to try is a big help.  As does actually shooting; however shouldering and or shooting a bunch of different guns might also throw a bunch of additional unwanted variables into the customers mind.   a "best gun"-type stocker would have an adjustable try gun since that would rule out all the variables except the configuration of the stock itself.

In addition we also are faced with the fact that many of the guns that interest us (and probably, our customers) represent historic school/styles that have some rather tightly specific stock configurations.   Messing with them by altering drop at heel, comb height, even length of pull (by very much) could create a rather odd looking rifle.
  I can imagine that creating a big bore heavy recoiling rifle in one of the slender, deeply-dropped, sharply crescented-buttplate styles would be an uncomfortably shooting gun.  the same stock design in in a smaller bore target or small game rifle might work perfectly 

ken

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 02:20:37 PM »
thank you! I will make a templet of profile with a pivet  and adjust from there also lets me see  how it wil look and flow