Author Topic: Does a jug choked smooth rifle affect roundball accuracy?  (Read 2331 times)

Offline Maven

Does a jug choked smooth rifle affect roundball accuracy?
« on: March 31, 2010, 07:03:51 PM »
I've been looking at a .62cal. fowler, but with rifle sights and a jug choke.  Will the latter reduce accuracy with patched round balls?
Paul W. Brasky

wbgv

Re: Does a jug choked smooth rifle affect roundball accuracy?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 08:19:30 PM »
I have a chiefs grade trade gun,bulit by Stephen D.Hughes,with a jug chock that will outshoot must smooth bores ..it has no rear sight and up to about 50yds it is as accurate as my rifles,at least it is in my hands..I think most will agree that a jug chock does not effect its accuracy..

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 12:26:37 AM »
I would think it depends on the amount of choke.  I ground/lapped in about .008" in a .44" smoothbore and it effected round ball shooting not at all.  My current 20 bore has an improved cylinder, normal USA shaped choke and it shoots round balls quite well - 4 out of 5 into an inch at 28 yards. One of the 5 will open it to about 2" - me or the gun - who knows?
I will hazzard an opinion that a slight ,.005" to .010" jug choke, will not hurt round ball accuracy, but it will help very much with patterns.  i don't think this choke should start more than 1" behind the muzzle, though.  the 'end choke', or cylindrical straight bore diameter section at the muzzle should not be much longer than a typical shot load - ie: 3/4" to 1' is plenty long enough.  Any longer than that and it may negate the tightening effects of the jug choke on shot.

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 02:09:32 AM »
I have a Butch Darrel .75 caliber with a jug choke approximately 4 in. long and approximately that far down the barrel. I can consistently hit bowling pin size targets at 100 yards with it.

Centershot