Author Topic: Loyalist Arms?  (Read 6851 times)

chrisdefrance

Loyalist Arms?
« on: April 03, 2010, 11:19:34 PM »
Have any of you purchased from Loyalist Arms?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Loyalist Arms?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:29:04 PM »
I have seen alot of their stuff, pure junk.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 12:27:39 AM »
Yes they are when compared to our great Kit suppliers like Jim Chambers, Jim Klein etc.....
But that being said. I ordered  a set of parts for a sea service pistol from TRS and it had been all most six months when I came across a pistol from these folks from gent at a local gun show. I got it to use the brass mounts do to my pistol parts being in limbo. Before I did this cannibalizing  I did find most of what I needed from TOW in stock and only needed the TRS Barrel and their pre-carved stock.

But to the point. That pistol though rough in its construction had the basic parts that could be cleaned up and restocked into something nice. The lock was barely functional but did spark and set off the priming charge no problem. They work great for someone just getting into reenacting and having a low budget (Most of them do). I  sold it for $200 to a reenactor. The rifle shoppe parts will run you just under $500 for that pistol if I am not mistaken but that was almost ten years ago.

They are capable of making smoke and noise with some help in the cleaning up department. How long will they last you before they break and you need parts is a question I dont know the answer to. If all you are going to do with it is shoot the trade pistol match at the rondy once a year , it will probably do that and spend the rest of the time hanging on the wall as a conversation piece. It wont do it well but you will make smoke and noise and if thats all you want for $300 bucks go for it. But if you want some thing that will last to be handed down then save your money. There is a great buy on the for-sale section right now if it hasnt been snatched up yet for a .54 cal pistol for $500. I have not held any of their other products but have seen them at their web site. They look great from a bout 10ft away.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 12:40:48 AM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

Offline alex e.

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 12:52:05 AM »
I think the term "best of the worst " applies.I know more reenactors that buy from them ??? ???And for some reason they like their  "stuff" better than the other imports. For whatever that's worth.
Save and spend your money on a quality gun,There will be less headaches in the end.
Alex
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 01:18:13 AM »
   Here is a MVTC India import that I treated as a kit gun, rebuilding and refinishing  from one end to the other. I love it. Works great. Brit Heavy Dragoon.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 01:28:04 AM »
LRB, that looks nice,
Thats the other thing,guys fork out $xxx.oo for one of thier guns,spend the time or pay someone to rework it,and your just about there at the price of a decent gun.Or at least a good used one.To each their own........
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 01:44:38 AM »
  For me, it was just a little time. I have never purchased any gun that I did not spend time on improving, or refining. Not even a Shiloh Sharps.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 02:34:48 AM »
I have reworked a few locks. They usually need a lot of work. The pistol lock I did was almost beyond working. I ended up buying a Chambers gunmakers lock, and making my own as close to the one supplied as I could. The inside looked like it was done with a horse shoe file. Very rough, and parts were soft.
Mystery Metal.   Yes, you can rework these guns, but you still end up with the same barrel and breach.
The breaching was what convinced me to decline further work on these India imports. I don't need the liability.  All those who complain about improper breaching in American black powder barrels, and the need to check for proper seating etc,  really need to examine these [imports] and then decide for yourself if you want to fire one . Just my 1 cent.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 02:36:48 AM »
LRB,
  I still love the colour of that pistol!

chrisdefrance

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 06:09:24 PM »
Thanks guys - for all the advice.  First build and I want to do it right. I will go with a better gun kit.
 Chris de France

Online Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 02:45:43 AM »
The problem with the Indian made junk is not what can be made from the parts but what the parts are made of. No matter what you do to make it LOOK better its still wall hanger quality.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine