Author Topic: Rings on the sholder strap  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Pete G.

Rings on the sholder strap
« on: April 05, 2010, 12:55:53 AM »
I have noticed quite q few newly made bags with the sholder strap attached to a brass ring or two. Where does this practice originate? I have seen very few original bags with this type of attachment. Is this an historically correct interpretation, and if so, from what period?

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
Re: Rings on the sholder strap
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 03:43:30 AM »
There are a couple in Madison Grant's book...one from the Appalachians that is undated, the other from New England dated to 1835/40.

John.
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 12:43:50 AM »
I have noticed quite q few newly made bags with the sholder strap attached to a brass ring or two. Where does this practice originate? I have seen very few original bags with this type of attachment. Is this an historically correct interpretation, and if so, from what period?

Looks to be popular with 18th century Germanic bags.
Chris Immel just posted a neat image on frontierfolk from mid 18th century Germany showing a pouch connecting the body to the straps with rings.

Offline Artificer

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 10:21:43 AM »
James,

I know one can't infer too much from continental sources; but would that possibly mean rings on shoulder straps being more of a german influence - would have been more likely on Pennsylvania made pouches than perhaps Virginia or Southern pouches? 

Gus