General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

First Shots with New Gun

(1/4) > >>

Buffler Razz:
Well I got the itch to take a few shots with the new Chambers Mark Silver today. I was almost afraid to load her up after all that work putting her together. But, I could not wait any longer. I set up a bench at the back of the yard and a 25 yd target. Since I had 3f in my horn and my measure throws 70 gr (my hunting load for my 50) I figured I give it a go.

Here is my target off the bench for the first 3 out of the gun. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper. I hope to wring her out over the next few weeks in prep for the November gun season. I'd appreciate any info on loads that you tend to favor in a 58. The barrel is a Rice 42" 1 in 66 twist.
Thanks
Razz

chapmans:
  Razz,
    I have a percussion .58 GM barrel 1-70" twist 34" long 1" across the flats It has killed between 30 and 40 deer my load is 90 gr of ffg Goex with a .570 swagged ball, pocket drill patch and Hodgdens spit patch for lube. I carry a loading block with .565 balls because they load a little easier in the field but I have never had to use them on a deer because I have always killed them with the first shot, the closest was 15 yds and the farthest was 120, most were 75 or less. In my gun this load will shoot in 1" at 50 yds off the bench. Just for fun I shot a 3 shot group at 150 yds and the group measured 1.5" I shot it in 1989 and I still have the target, It was sighted dead on at 100yds and it dropped 8" at 150yds. I never shot a deer that far away although my neighbor shot one at 157 steps  with it and it entered the point of sholder and was found just under the hide on the opposite hip!!
              Regards, Steve C

Scott Bumpus:
Nice shootin, hope she makes meat for ya!

Daryl:
Razz - glad to hear you're happy with your .58 so far.  In my 3 different .58's, the preference was for a .575" ball and .020" denim patch. Properly crowned, it is an easy load to start with one whack of the hand on the starter's knob and load on the powder with the hickory or steel rifle's rod.  All of my rifles required more powder than you are using and actually preferred the velocity to be around 1,800fps to 1,850fps.  I didn't use 3F, only 2F and 140gr. was their normal accuracy load.  The rates of twist was 72" for the H and A Underhammer and Zouave and 66" or .60" for the GRRW barrel.  Less powder in any of them produced saucer sized groups at 100 yards of the bench. The heavier charge would hold 2" or better. Deer don't take that 'much' killing, but to have an accurate, flat shooting load one can forget trajectory out to about 120 yards did.  If you need a 'fast' second shot, you might consider working up some paper ctg. loads. In the larger bore rifles 9or smoothbores, a re-load can be done in 8 or 9 seconds.

Since you asked, my opinion is that your .010" patch is over .010" too  thin such a small ball.  I'm not into having to wipe the bore often (or  ever) due to fouling buildup.  Properly loaded, the rifle will not foul.  If if does, your bore is changing shot to shot - never the same = lack of consistancy.  Use of a good lube and tight patch/ball combinations will wipe the bore clean each time you load and thus leave it the same from shot to shot. Consistancy in shooting a black powder rifle is 50% of the rifle's accuracy capability. Too, shooting at 25 yards teaches little as to the rifle and load's ability. Shooting at 50 yards is about as close as your target should be to show a load's true capability. Even a properly loaded .62 cal. smoothbore will cut a single 1 1/8" diameter hole for 5 or more shots at 25 yards.  

jim m:
that looks good Razz. I just keep bumpin up the charge till the group spreads out. and how about some pics of that gun

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version