Author Topic: Powder and Primers and Balls... ARGHHHHHH!!!  (Read 14296 times)

Gavno

Powder and Primers and Balls... ARGHHHHHH!!!
« on: April 08, 2010, 02:39:51 AM »
Well, the cleanup and restoration of my newly acquired muzzle loader is nearly complete; we're down to the point of touching up scratches and dings with some Birchwood Casey Super Blue.   ;D Everything else is as ready to go as I can make it.

A NEW problem is rearing it's ugly head...  WHAT do I shoot with it???

Checked out the local "chain" sporting goods stores; first, Gander Mountain, and then Dick's Sporting Goods.

After that...  hit the Yellow Pages for every sporting goods store in a 25 mile radius.

The results of all of this were not encouraging.

NO .530 lead balls...   NO real black powder (just Pyrodex and other products of that ilk)...  and most significantly, NO #11 percussion caps!

I found the cap problem to be VERY interesting; Gander Mountain shows them on the web site, but they want the infamous HAZMAT shipping charge. Also, they're showing caps in minimum quantities of 1000 (I assume ten 100 cap containers).

I doubt that I could shoot up 1000 caps in five years, even with popping a few before loading to clear out the oil.

As for balls...   I got hold of a couple of sets of molds, dipper, melting pot, and some old fashioned lead jacketed telephone cable.   :)  That'll take care of itself in time.

Powder...  I'm still working on that one, hopefully with a buddy who is an over the road trucker who makes it down into Goex territory. He's willing to carry back 2 or 3 one pound cans for me. In the meantime, I'll get a jug of Pyrodex.

On Saturday, I even hit a Gun Show on the way to work.

Boy...   if ya ever want a LOTTA people looking at you suspiciously, just wander around a gun show asking for black powder and percussion caps!!!  They're ALL sure that you're a BATF undecover agent!    :D

I never saw so many gun nuts who NEVER HEARD of a percussion cap before!  :o

In any case...   

The national chain places will keep ya happy if you need black powder substitutes, 209 caps, and even #10 caps (the local Gander Mountain stocks those). EVERYTHING the inline or revolver shooter needs...  but if you're feeding a pseudo-Hawken replica, you can just forget about it.   :'(

I'm running out of ideas here.

For a reliable source of supply, I'm thinking about contacting a local Civil War reenactor unit and trying to get into the group buys of caps and powder that I'm sure they're doing.

Does anyone else have some ideas on getting supplies?

Mr. T.

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Powder and Primers and Balls... ARGHHHHHH!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 02:55:11 AM »
Well $#*! does a bear do it in the woods ???

Get yourself on to the internet for Graf's Inc.  Powder - Ball - caps - pool your resources with a buddy or three and go for a case that spreads the haz mat charge.
Last I knew Goex was under $12 a lb delivered....They will sell you as few lbs as you want.... ;D   Let us know how it goes......

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 03:07:58 AM »
Mr. T,
Was it you that was looking for mold handles? I sent a response to someone last night and can't remember who it was. Talk about senior moments!!  ???
Mark

Gavno

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 03:16:31 AM »
Get yourself on to the internet for Graf's Inc.  Powder - Ball - caps - pool your resources with a buddy or three and go for a case that spreads the haz mat charge.
Last I knew Goex was under $12 a lb delivered....They will sell you as few lbs as you want.... ;D   Let us know how it goes......

If only I could....

I only know of one other BP shooter locally (the guy who turned ME on to it), and he shoots an inline!

Been checking around for local BP groups and activity; none within maybe 100 miles.

Re. Goex; if their website is to be believed, the smallest quantity they'll sell ya is 5 pounds. I'm not too sure I want to keep that much black powder around; it would make one helluva bang if something went wrong! 

Mr. T.

Gavno

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 03:20:10 AM »
Mr. T,
Was it you that was looking for mold handles? I sent a response to someone last night and can't remember who it was. Talk about senior moments!!  ???

Yep, that's ME!   :)

Seems I committed a bit of a faux pas by posting that tho; I haven't been here 30 days yet, and that's required before using the board.

To the SYSOP and other Powers That Be...   Mea Culpa.

If you have a set of handles, please write me off the system; quixote2@ix.netcom.com

Thanks,

Mr. T.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 03:37:04 AM »
Mr.T,
PM sent. By the way, 5# of powder isn't very much. In regards to it going "bang" in a fire, it tends to go "poof, as in burns. You can put more than 5# in an old army ammo can and be relativley safe.
Mark
Mark

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 04:40:03 AM »
If your not an NMLRA member,join, and there are alot of sources for your shooting supplies listed in the monthly mag. You can get together with some of your buddies and order together to save, or go to some of their matches and get supplies on traders row.    Flintlocks Forever    Gary

northwoodsdave

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 05:32:00 AM »
Don't give up looking.  Selling black powder takes a special permit and storage,  and a lot of sporting goods stores don't bother.  I know of one place in Superior, WI that sells Goex,  but that's a far drive for you!

I learned about my source from a local gunshop, who said they didn't bother with the paperwork and hassle, but this place did.

I also have a friend in Southern Wi who does rondies:  If she has a source down there, I'll post it for you.

Dave

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 11:55:56 AM »
Please don't use Pyrodex. Your barrel won't like it for long- if ever.  Graf's ships cheaply in the States. Sounds to me powder is bloody cheap there.  Here, it runs $23.00 per pound cheapest. The local store sells it for something in the low $40.00's.  5 pounds is barely a month's shooting. We get 25 pounds at a time.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 04:48:03 PM »
Wot Daryl says! ;D

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 05:21:06 PM »
Well, the cleanup and restoration of my newly acquired muzzle loader is nearly complete; we're down to the point of touching up scratches and dings with some Birchwood Casey Super Blue.   ;D Everything else is as ready to go as I can make it.

A NEW problem is rearing it's ugly head...  WHAT do I shoot with it???

Checked out the local "chain" sporting goods stores; first, Gander Mountain, and then Dick's Sporting Goods.

After that...  hit the Yellow Pages for every sporting goods store in a 25 mile radius.

The results of all of this were not encouraging.

NO .530 lead balls...   NO real black powder (just Pyrodex and other products of that ilk)...  and most significantly, NO #11 percussion caps!

I found the cap problem to be VERY interesting; Gander Mountain shows them on the web site, but they want the infamous HAZMAT shipping charge. Also, they're showing caps in minimum quantities of 1000 (I assume ten 100 cap containers).

I doubt that I could shoot up 1000 caps in five years, even with popping a few before loading to clear out the oil.

As for balls...   I got hold of a couple of sets of molds, dipper, melting pot, and some old fashioned lead jacketed telephone cable.   :)  That'll take care of itself in time.

Powder...  I'm still working on that one, hopefully with a buddy who is an over the road trucker who makes it down into Goex territory. He's willing to carry back 2 or 3 one pound cans for me. In the meantime, I'll get a jug of Pyrodex.

On Saturday, I even hit a Gun Show on the way to work.

Boy...   if ya ever want a LOTTA people looking at you suspiciously, just wander around a gun show asking for black powder and percussion caps!!!  They're ALL sure that you're a BATF undecover agent!    :D

I never saw so many gun nuts who NEVER HEARD of a percussion cap before!  :o

In any case...   

The national chain places will keep ya happy if you need black powder substitutes, 209 caps, and even #10 caps (the local Gander Mountain stocks those). EVERYTHING the inline or revolver shooter needs...  but if you're feeding a pseudo-Hawken replica, you can just forget about it.   :'(

I'm running out of ideas here.

For a reliable source of supply, I'm thinking about contacting a local Civil War reenactor unit and trying to get into the group buys of caps and powder that I'm sure they're doing.

Does anyone else have some ideas on getting supplies?

Mr. T.

Order a case of powder from a distributor. This way the haz-mat is only $1 a pound. If you order 5 pounds is $5 a pound.
I would order FFF if the rifle is under 58.
Caps are a PITA too but you should be able to find some if not grit your teeth and order them. However, if you can find powder and caps within 150-200 miles you almost afford to go get them for the hazmat fees.

Pyrodex is very corrosive. It is cheaper to order BP than to end up with a pitted bore.

Found at http://www.crazycrow.com/events_rendezvous/display_single.php?id=168
This might help its a Rendezvous at Woodford, WI  this should put you in contact with people that can help with your ammo problem:

Type of Event: Rendezvous

Event Begin-End Date: Apr27-May02 2010

Event Name: 29th Annual Bloody Lake Rendezvous

Location: Black Hawk Memorial Park2995 County Y, Woodford, WI 53599 USA

Web Address: www.YFC-BloodyLake.com

Directions: 6 miles North of Hwy 11 on County MM. The park is 1 hour SW of Madison and 20 minutes NW of Monroe, WI

Fees: Camping fee is $15 per camp plus $10 per adult aged 16 or older. Traders Business is $35.

Camping: Camp open 8-8 M-F. Primitve, Modern and Horse Camps plus secluded campsites are available. Wood, water and toilets provided. Ice available. We are in a 160 acre park with Horseshoe Lake and the Pecatonica River running through it.

Details: School Day on Friday with demonstrations. Public welcome Friday 9-4 and Sunday 9-3.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Mike Norin

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 05:47:53 PM »
Mr. T , on your profile it looks like you live in Sun Prairie Wis.. If you go down to the Bloody Lake Rondezvous , just South of where you live you just might find some powder & caps .The event starts on the 27April and runs till the 2 May . It is located around Wodford Wis. not to far  from Darlington . I will be there and I will have some extra powder . You can call me at 309-521-8342 anytime Mike Norin

Black Jaque Janaviac

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 05:49:36 PM »
Use the #10 caps.  

Then ask to speak with the store owner/manager about piggy-backing an order for #11 caps.

I picked up a tin of #10 caps accidentally and I found the only difference was the #10 was a little longer.  It was not long enough to cause any problem fitting our #11 nipples, in fact on some it seemed to fit better.  

Other options might be to convert to flintlock - so far they have not required a HazMat fee for shipping rocks even sharp ones.  But if you switch to flintlock then you're stuck shooting black powder.

Black Jaque Janaviac

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 06:00:54 PM »
OH.  You're in Sun Prairie.

If you drive north on I-94 to Mauston about 1 1/2 hour from Sun Prairie you'll find a small sportshop north of town on Hwy 12/16.  The owner is part of a small BP group.  He'll sell you caps for sure.  And you may even discuss with the group the possibility of a group order on BP.

Before you go there you might want to head south of town and pick up some 10-yr-old cheddar.  Then after getting cheese and percussion caps keep headding north on Hwy 12/16 to the Burr Oak Winery and get some wine to go with the cheese. 

Then go home and forget about any grief you're having with your gun.  You'll soon find that you'll never be out of percussion caps because just about the time your last tin is dwindling you'll have to make another run north for wine and cheese (and well, as long as you're there pick up some #11 caps)!

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 06:18:24 PM »
Going to a 'vous and picking up what you need on traders row is your best option.   If that's not feasible, Cabelas sells caps & 530 RB.  Powderinc.com will ship powder in 5, 10, or 25 lb lots.  The Hazmat fee will apply, but if you're really not going to shoot more than 1000 shots in 5 years, then you can think of amortizing the $25 percussion cap fee and the $25 powder fee over the 5 years to $10/year.   And,  you can always use excess boxes of caps or cans of powder as blanket prizes if you're at that kind of 'vous.   (Just don't do anything foolhardy like try to sell excess powder unless you have the proper Federal license to do so.)

JW

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 08:57:58 PM »
Howdy gents.  First post here, but longtime reader.

I recently had a very disconcerting (albeit mildly humorous) experience buying blackpowder from a local Gander Mt.  I related this story on another forum, so pardon for me pasting it here.  My reason for posting is to point out the near pandemic ignorance of blackpowder and traditional muzzleloading amongst the greater sporting world.  Long story short- it’s better to buy bulk powder with a group of folks.  BUT, many places that tell you they don’t sell blackpowder, may in fact sell blackpowder. 

My little adventure:

Whenever I get the inevitable Gander Mt. gift card for Christmas, I end up using it to add to my powder supply. Never mind that the price is now over 20 DOLLARS!!! If I don’t use it on powder, I’ll end up using it on shotgun shells or something that I don’t need any more of- and we can ALWAYS use more powder, right?

Well, this local Gander Mt. has supplied me with a number of lbs. since it came to town, and prior to a few years ago, the price was good enough to buy there (without a gift card). Anyhow, every time I’ve gone in there and asked for REAL black powder, it usually takes two or three people to figure out that they do, indeed, carry the stuff in the “back room”. Then they have to go search the place for about a half hour and make me feel like I’m buying blackmarket explosives. When they finally ring me up, I get the inevitable questions (“are you a reenactor? Cause only reenactors buy this stuff”) and the know-it-all comments (“I wouldn’t use this stuff, son. It’s so hard to clean and extremely corrosive.”)

This time around did not disappoint. On the way home from work, I had some time to kill. Passing the Gander Mt., I assessed the amount of time it would take to jump through the hula hoops weighed with the opportunity to finally use this doggone gift card that was burning a hole in my wallet- I decided that I should go ahead and add to my ever dwindling (or ever expanding) powder supply.

I walked straight to the back and asked the first unassuming employee in the firearms section, “Can I please have one pound of FFFG Goex black powder.” As he opened his mouth to tell me to look over at the supply of synthetic substitutes, I specified “I need REAL black powder, not a sub.” He continued to motion to the big wooden case with the subs. “If we got any, it’d be in there, man.” He replied.

Once again restating my need, I asked for black powder, which I assured him would be located in the back, out of view from the general shopper. And once again, he told me that it would be in the big wooden cabinet, and that I could “take a look for myself.” Knowing full well that it would not be there, I strolled over and opened up the case, quickly scanning the rows of Pyrodex, etc..

“not a problem,” I thought. “It usually takes a couple tries anyhow.” I looked for the next employee, a gentleman who was a tad older and more experienced looking than the last and requested the same thing as I had the last time, specifying numerous times what I did and did not need and telling him that I had purchased it there many times and where he could find it (in the back). He told me to look in the cabinet. “Not there,” says I. and I explained the federal law pertaining to selling and displaying black powder. He looked at me like I was speaking Elvish and wearing a Gandalf hat. “We don’t sell that stuff, man.” We talked for a minute and he gave me advice on shooting a flintlock. Apparently, sabots and Pyrodex are necessary and not nearly as dangerous, inaccurate, and corrosive as the real stuff.

So I asked a third employee. This guy was unsure, so he asked the first guy I had talked to. The first guy came back over and repeated what he had told me earlier. A final attempt to get him to at least pretend to look was futile. “I’m sorry. We don’t sell that stuff, and if we did, it would be with the other gun powder” was all I got. Yet another person who was standing nearby added “we have sold it in the past, but we don’t have any right now.”

I was about to give up when I spotted a grey-haired gentleman talking with a customer in the back. This guy had actually retrieved it for me on several occasions in the past.

When he was done speaking with his customer, I asked him if they had stopped carrying black powder. “no, of course not” he replied. “you can’t just pick it up off the shelf” As if that’s what I had tried to do to begin with. While he went to the back to get the Goex, one of the four people I had talked with earlier came over and reiterated what they had stated numerous times. I nearly laughed out loud when the gentleman returned with the can of powder while the guy was still standing there telling me again that they didn’t have any. Finally, I got ringed up and handed he gentleman my gift card. He did not disappoint me with his barrage of advice/questions on shooting black powder firearms. “you should have bought FFG, not FFFG. The 3f is harder to clean and you can only use it in pistols” Was just one gem of wisdom I walked away with.

In the end, my gift card bought me one lb. of Goex and a little bit of frustration. Next time, I’d rather have cash!

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 09:30:49 PM »
Remind me not to spend $ at Gander.    This is the method to come "regulate us out of business" ::)

Offline t.caster

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 10:08:43 PM »
JW, If you had any change left you should try one of their $12 flints! Yah, that's for ONE flint (at least at 2008 prices!), but the guy will tell you...you only need one...they last forever! LOL!
Real X perts ::)
Tom C.

Daryl

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 03:09:20 AM »
Boys - play nicely.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 04:26:11 PM »
The folks at Hornady (www.hornady.com) will sell you all the balls you can eat and ship them to you via UPS.  GOEX has distributers all over that will ship and BP does NOT go bad if stored for a few years.  As for caps - what's a cap?  TOTW (www.trackofthewolf.com) will ship you all the flints you can eat, UPS!

Best Regards,

JMC

Gavno

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 06:35:05 PM »
Mr. T , on your profile it looks like you live in Sun Prairie Wis.. If you go down to the Bloody Lake Rondezvous , just South of where you live you just might find some powder & caps .The event starts on the 27April and runs till the 2 May . It is located around Wodford Wis. not to far  from Darlington . I will be there and I will have some extra powder . You can call me at 309-521-8342 anytime Mike Norin

Ah!!!    :)

This rendezvous sounds like the way to go here!  :)

I should have known that something like this was out there...  I'm familiar with Hamfests (for ham radio nuts), dog show and Roller Derby events, and various Biker gatherings, all of which attract merchants who provide that which is needed for the particular obsession involved.

I sort of figured that there would be something similar among the members of the BP clan, but I was thinking something like Turkey Shoots (none of those around that I can see), and suttlers appearing at Civil War reenactor events (those seem few and far between around here, even tho Wisconsin is the home of the Iron Brigade).

The Rendezvous is well within reasonable reach, falls on my days off from work, and ought to be an interesting trip.

Thanks for tipping me off to it!   ;D

Gavno

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 07:03:22 PM »
Use the #10 caps.  

Then ask to speak with the store owner/manager about piggy-backing an order for #11 caps.

I picked up a tin of #10 caps accidentally and I found the only difference was the #10 was a little longer.  It was not long enough to cause any problem fitting our #11 nipples, in fact on some it seemed to fit better.  

Other options might be to convert to flintlock - so far they have not required a HazMat fee for shipping rocks even sharp ones.  But if you switch to flintlock then you're stuck shooting black powder.

Hmmmm...   a #10 cap will fit? That's good to know!  :)

I wandered around the Net looking for mechanical specs and dimensions on various caps and didn't find anything.

Re. converting to flintlock; for me, it's a bit premature for that; I'm a beginner with his first used (and abused) BP rifle. I wanna get that working well first.

The main goal in mind right now is to head out this coming deer hunting season with something other than a .30-06 or a .44 magnum single action revolver.

BTW...  on the subject of hunting...  I've already submitted an application for the Black Powder Hunt at the Fort McCoy Army installation (over by Sparta, Wisconsin) this fall (talk about taking premature actions!  ;D ).  If I'm not lucky enough to get one of those permits, there's an excellent chance that I'll be foresaking my smokeless engines of destruction for BP in my usual hunting grounds up north (the White River area up near Ashland, next to the Bad River Reservation).

In the meantime...  this summer is gonna be all about becoming proficient with the BP rifle.

Mr. T.

Gavno

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 08:02:02 PM »
Howdy, JW!

I just LOVE it! Your adventures at Gander Mountain are PRICELESS!  :D

Personally...  I've never been real impressed with GM, or it's local Big Box competitor, Dick's. The problem is that since these Big Boys have come to town,  they've had a WalMart effect; the little Mom & Pop places have all folded up and blown away.

These folks seem to base their business model on what the consultants tell them; the money is in the Yuppies who jog a mile before work, and who go "camping" and then cry and whine when the campsite they chose can't hit a cellphone tower so that around the campfire they can get on the Internet!!!   ::)

The formula is simple...  these folks have the most bucks, so let's cater to them. As the CEO of EBAY said, the smaller folks with lesser tastes are just "noise".

I don't begrudge them their preferences...   that's up to the merchant and it's clientelle. What I DO object to is their posing as being the place that fulfills ALL the needs of ALL folks who deal with the outdoors. They don't.

The thing that makes ME laugh at the local Gander Mountain... 

This is an urban area, and one that has city ordinances that prohibit selling handguns besides. Most of the shooting in the general area is small game, turkeys (in season), deer (ditto), and those little red painted clay disks that "gentlemen" shoot at on a Sunday afternoon.

BTW...   how do ya go about cooking and serving those things???   :D

So...  what's the biggest attention grabber in the firearms department?

It's the .50 Browning MG chambered sniper rifles (out in the open for the customer to tinker with  :o ), sporting price tags that would put a $#*! of a dent in my mortgage!

In this part of the country, there's NO big game that warrants the use of a cannon like that...   there aren't even any RANGES that I know of around here that could handle artillery like that!

To give GM it's due...  they DO do good gunsmithing work. Provided you're willing to wait 3 months for it.

They ship to a regional gunsmithing facility, and their work seems to be excellent; they did a magnificent job of refinishing a Ruger .22 target pistol for me.

It's just too bad that they put the local gunsmith out of business; he used to deliver the same repairs in a week.  :'(

Well...   off of my soapbox for now. I'm hijacking my own thread here!  :D

J.D.

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 08:15:19 PM »
Balls are available from Track of the Wolf, or Eddie May.

A search will turn up Tracks site.

Eddie May in Georgia has cast round balls or minie bullets. Buy in bulk & you can save a lot in cost & shipping as they have a USPS box you can ship under 70# for $ 10 or 11.00
Eddie May Round Balls
159 Ridley Rd.
Chatsworth, GA. 30705
706-581-8225

As for the powder, Pyrodex is especially corrosive. The other subs aren't much better. IMHO, good old black is the best, hands down.

IMHO,  I would order 5 # from someone like Graf and Sons, because the smell of BP smoke can become more addictive than drugs and alcohol, and once you get a whiff of BP smoke, you are hooked . A friend stores his extra powder in a 5 gal bucket buried in the back yard without any problems. Don't worry about BP going bad over time. I'm shooting powder, recently acquired from an estate, left over from the 1960s. IMHO, that 50 year old Dupont powder is better than newly made GOEX, so bite the bullet and order 5 pounds, for future reference.

God bless

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 09:29:33 PM »
Balls are available from Track of the Wolf, or Eddie May.

A search will turn up Tracks site.

Eddie May in Georgia has cast round balls or minie bullets. Buy in bulk & you can save a lot in cost & shipping as they have a USPS box you can ship under 70# for $ 10 or 11.00
Eddie May Round Balls
159 Ridley Rd.
Chatsworth, GA. 30705
706-581-8225

As for the powder, Pyrodex is especially corrosive. The other subs aren't much better. IMHO, good old black is the best, hands down.

IMHO,  I would order 5 # from someone like Graf and Sons, because the smell of BP smoke can become more addictive than drugs and alcohol, and once you get a whiff of BP smoke, you are hooked . A friend stores his extra powder in a 5 gal bucket buried in the back yard without any problems. Don't worry about BP going bad over time. I'm shooting powder, recently acquired from an estate, left over from the 1960s. IMHO, that 50 year old Dupont powder is better than newly made GOEX, so bite the bullet and order 5 pounds, for future reference.

God bless
Toldja :)