Author Topic: OK, How's this? And next step?  (Read 3368 times)

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
OK, How's this? And next step?
« on: April 08, 2010, 04:39:07 PM »
Here is the progress so far on a sliding wooden patchbox on my 1750 English long sporting rifle......... The wood came from waste sliced off the side of the butt stock so I think I will have a nice grain match.

I chiseled the mortise & dovetails & then fit the bottom piece of maple into the mortise, brought it down to level with the stock.

I then cut out and carved the lid....... I was working from some pictures and getting the size right is a challenge, but I think I am close???

A little problem getting it down flat on the stock at the bottom rear corner...the toe slopes away pretty fast.  I think it is close enough?? Your thoughts?.  Its not glued together yet.

Here's the top down view.

Now next steps? would you glue it together and file/sand for fit etc and the cut off the back?  OR cut out the butt plate slot?.. I am trying to sequence this to keep my options open so that I can make whatever last adjustments needed.  Last I think will be carving the thumbhole and perhaps a small appropriate carving for the center of the lid..suggestions??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

keweenaw

Re: OK, How's this? And next step?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 05:30:03 PM »
Tim,

I would try to get it to fit a bit closer on the bottom but what you have is acceptable.  Easiest way to do that would be to adjust the angle of your flat so that the lid can mate everywhere.   The problem started when you didn't make a large enough flat on the side of your stock to start with. There needs to be some clearance and the finish will add a  couple of thou.  Why are you using maple for the inside of the lid?  The maple and the walnut will swell at different rates with changes in humidity.  Personally I think it's faster and easier to simply make the lid as a single piece - you just keep working the dovetail until it will just slide in at the clearance you want.

The next step will be to put the appropriate slot in the butt plate  as the back of the lid needs to be shaped to the contour determine by the the butt.  Oh, isn't there supposed to be a cavity under that lid!!!  Place to keep the Snickers Bar.

Tom

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 05:45:11 PM »
Looks really good so far.

I would take the maple dovetail portion out and carefully take a few thou off the top before gluing.  I just did a 2-piece (first time doing that) on a walnut stock for similar reasons. There was not enough figured-match wood for a one piece ptachbox lid, but I had plenty of plain walnut for the dovetail portion.  No matter what when I glue, it ends up swelling a little or there's a immeasurable but noticeable glue thickness added and this lifts the lid off the buttstock annoyingly with a glued-up, two pice job.  If you take a little off the dovetail, glue it up, and start to slide it in and it binds, you can work down the lid top or buttstock to get a perfect fit.

Next I would put the buttplate on, trace and saw out the dovetail notch in it, but also leave a little extra so you can hand fit things.  Then when it's working all smooth and well fitted, you can trim the end off the lid and start fitting the buttpiece of brass.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
The lid cover looks relatively large.  If it were me, I would reduce it in size just a bit, and cock it some, nose down, tail up, just ever so slightly so it lays a bit better on the stock (to my eye).  If it isn't perfectly aligned parallel with the dovetail, it won't matter.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Rootsy

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 07:19:02 PM »
Doesn't look as though your dovetail has and fore / aft draft to it.  Be aware that as humidity changes it will swell / shrink...  If you set it too tight at the start and humidity is low you may not be able to get it out this summer...  Once you get it to fit leave it sit a day or two and give her a try... Especially after sinking the cavity.  The stock will "adjust" itself a bit as you've redistributed the stress within it by removing wood, especially if you cut the cavity clear out the butt plate end.  Best to leave a rib there I think...

I like to adjust the female dovetail to achieve fit. 

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 04:30:27 AM »
Dr. Tim, that trap lid is looking very nice.  I certainly want to see some close-ups when you get'er done.  Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 05:26:07 AM »
"Oh, isn't there supposed to be a cavity under that lid!!!  Place to keep the Snickers Bar."
Tom

Yeah, but I am on Nutrisystem!!!! No snickers...  :'(  HEhehehe  I will sneak a cavity in there anyway!

Thanks guys, great detailed help. I took some more off the bottom piece to account for the glue..I hope.

I also flattened out the stock a little more.... Man its hard to do that on a round toed fowling piece type stock... especially because I wasn't planning on a butt trap when I started the gun.... the idea grew on me a little late...  I looked all over the net for 1750ish English rifles and it wasn't until way down the road when I asked on here that I was able to get some really good pictures...... Butt traps!!  Plan Aheaddddddd...

I cut and filed the steel butt plate tonight... things are looking good. Now I think I will glue the lid together before I go to bed...  

I need to stop futzing around and get the barrel keys done so that I can send all the steel off for the engraving.. While that is being done I will do standard early English the tang carving and some small figure on the lid..any ideas for that??
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 05:27:08 AM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming