Author Topic: Hawken flinter  (Read 15275 times)

holzwurm

Hawken flinter
« on: September 02, 2008, 07:15:43 PM »
Some time ago I paid a visit to the Cody museum to examine their Hawken collection. I don't recall seeing a full stock rifle in the bunch at that time. I believe early rifles were full stock flint. I'm curious if there was ever a half stock flinter?

Kentucky Jeff

Re: Hawken flinter
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 07:32:59 PM »
I talked with Don Stith at Dixons about Hawken rifles this year.  There were a tremendous number of variations "Hawken Rifles" as they produced guns from 1822 to the late 1850s and beyond as many of guns coming out of the shop after its sale continued to be marked "Hawken" for some time.  Most were made to order and you will find all manner of calibers and tremendous variation in furniture over time.

There are very few flint Hawkens in existence at all and I think he told me he's never seen a halfstock flinter.  Remember they started production well after the introduction of the percussion system.   

Offline sz

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 07:49:58 PM »
Original J. Hawken (St. Lewis) are so rare that some books have even made claim  that such guns did not exist (now a disproven statement)
J Hawken opened the St Lewis Shop in 1814.  There is a known advertisement from him made in 1821 stating he would make and repair "Rifles Shotguns Fowlers and pistols.
(interesting words.  My understanding is that "Shotgun" in the vernacular of the era was taken to mean a double barreled smoothbore and "Fowler" was meant to mean a single barreled gun)
Anyway, the point being that Jake Hawken was in business full time by 1815 and the though that he "didn't make flintlocks' is a bit unreasonable knowing that flintlocks were still the most common form of ignition of that time.
I make muzzleloaders full time.  I make what I am asked to make.  Any good business man would do the same as long as he was capable, and as long as what was asked for was not unsafe.
I have pictures of an original J Hawken FLINT rifle with a 1/2 stock, but it appears to be one that was made from a full stock rifle.  it is signed and dated from 1816 and look in every way like it's a Maryland style rifle.  No big suprized here.  Jake learned his craft in Maryland.  it's brass mounted and has a horse head patch box.
Now. if you are asking is there was "ever a Flint Hawken in the style of what we all think of as a "Hawken style" I would have to venture a guess the answer is yes, but I know of no existing surviving examples.
The fact that we "don't have one" does not mean he never made one.  Proof is not always available, but we must also use some common sense.  Remember, he was in full time business for years before caplocks were the common lock, and that he was trying to stay in business.  The English made flint halfstock rifles, and I am pretty sure Jake Hawken took some of his ideas from that type of rifle.
So, after that diatribe, I would have to answer with the statement that "He probably did"  but we can't prove it yet.  At least if we can, I don't know of the proof myself.

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 09:00:19 PM »
You have to remember that all of the Hawken brothers were classically trained Maryland smiths & both Jake & Sam made rifles well before they wound up in St. Louis together.  Some of those rifles were flint, & thus are "flint Hawkens".  Carved & engraved as well.  The real question that is being asked is if there were any flint Hawken "mountain rifles" & the answer is "likely yes, but apparently darned few".  As I understand it, there is a full stock Hawken mountain rifle in the Smithsonian which appears to be converted from flint.  Given how over valued Hawken mountain rifles are these days, & how desireable an original flint mountain rifle would be, I would be really surprised if some outright fakes have not been produced.  God knows people fake the percussion guns.

I really like Hawken mountain rifles, both full & halfstock, but I think that if I wanted a flint fur trade era rifle, I would go with a Henry English, New English, or Lancaster pattern.  When you think about it, just about any late period flint "Kentucky" could have easily made its way to the fur trade. There is a full stock percussion mountain rifle in Cody: a .58 cal.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Dave Waters

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 09:34:04 PM »
Several years back (15-20) I held in my hands what was claimed to be an origional fullstock flint Hawken that had been converted to percusion. The lock plate plainly showed signs of having been flint. The pan cut off and a drum & nipple installed. That gun was around 13 pounds, as I recall.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 11:08:25 PM »
Some time ago I paid a visit to the Cody museum to examine their Hawken collection. I don't recall seeing a full stock rifle in the bunch at that time. I believe early rifles were full stock flint. I'm curious if there was ever a half stock flinter?

We have no way of knowing.
There is a 1850s period flint FS Hawken in the Smithsonian that was converted to percussion by putting a drum in the flint patent breech.
There is a FS Kentucky J&S that was converted to percussion by cutting the breech off and putting in a patent breech to restore the length and converting the lock.
When doing this sort if conversion it would be difficult to detect a conversion from flint if the lock were replaced rather than converted as it might well have been if used a lot.
There was a short write up in an issue of the Buckskin Report on what as apparently a FS Hawken converted to percussion by plugging the vent and brazing on a lug for the nipple. I understand the gun was burnt later in a house fire. But the stocking looked a lot like a J&S so if it was a fake, as some have hinted, it was well done.
Considering the popularity of the flintlock in the west until the mid-late 1830s they HAD to make flintlock rifles for the western trade and were apparently still doing so well after Jake died. Its simply inescapable.

I would not be in the slightest surprised if a half or fullstocked Hawken "plains rifle" in original flint surfaced. But I would not hold my breath. The chances of a rifle like this not being converted to percussion in the 40-50s is pretty slight.
I know speaking of flintlock J&S Hawken scroll guard rifles tends to raise some people's blood pressure. But considering the fact that most rifles going west until the end of the western fur trade rendezvous were flint its just not possible for them not to have made some. A study of goods taken to the Rendezvous for sale shows no percussion caps that I know of. Flints yes, caps no. This speaks volumes to the number of percussion guns in the west prior to 1840 or so anyway.

See http://www.xmission.com/~drudy/mtman/html/rmo1837.html
Makes one wonder if the 10 Hawken rifles listed were flint since there are no percussion caps listed. Lots of "gun" and "rifle" flints though.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

northmn

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 01:27:59 AM »
Hansen in his Trade Rifle Sketchbook claims that until 1840 all or nearly all rifles were flintlock by popular demand.  While he is not talking about Hawkens, he is talking about rifles carried by both white and native.  He also mentioned that halfstocks did not come along until much later as they were more expensive to build.  Were I in love with a steel mounted Hawken mountain rifle I would build a flintlock in full stock using an English style lock.  Whether or not to build in flint is not as large an issue I feel as other issues concerning the hardware, etc.  Would they have had the hooked breech as now sold?  What type of triggers would be appropriate?  The buttplate and trigger guard?  Are there "transitional" Hawkens to copy from?  In other words you are building a pre 1840 rifle.

DP

Sean

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 01:33:14 AM »
Don't you guys miss having Don Stith around here?

Sean

Kentucky Jeff

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 02:22:01 AM »
One of the brothers--I believe it was Sam--worked as a gunsmith at the government arsenal at Harpers Ferry until 1818. 

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 07:46:50 AM »
The James Clyman rifle is a fullstock Hawken flintlock rifle. It was written up with photos for "Muzzle Blasts", I believe, by John Bivins maybe 25 years or more ago. The rifle has been passed down through Clyman's family and now resides somewhere in Ohio. I know this because I know the sister of the lady who currently has the rifle. I have asked for permission to photograph and perhaps do another article for "Muzzle Blasts", but the lady who has it doesn't want any publicity about the rifle. Search those old "Muzzle Blasts" and you should be able to find the article by Bivins. BTW, the book "Journal of a Mountain Man" was written by Clyman about his time in the Rocky Mountains from 1824 to 1829.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 07:47:36 AM by Randy Hedden »
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 06:50:04 PM »
One of the brothers--I believe it was Sam--worked as a gunsmith at the government arsenal at Harpers Ferry until 1818. 

Jake and Sam both worked at HF.
The classic Hawken plains rifle in a melding of the English rifle of the period and the American rifle.

Dan

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 06:53:12 PM »
The James Clyman rifle is a fullstock Hawken flintlock rifle. It was written up with photos for "Muzzle Blasts", I believe, by John Bivins maybe 25 years or more ago. The rifle has been passed down through Clyman's family and now resides somewhere in Ohio. I know this because I know the sister of the lady who currently has the rifle. I have asked for permission to photograph and perhaps do another article for "Muzzle Blasts", but the lady who has it doesn't want any publicity about the rifle. Search those old "Muzzle Blasts" and you should be able to find the article by Bivins. BTW, the book "Journal of a Mountain Man" was written by Clyman about his time in the Rocky Mountains from 1824 to 1829.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com

Sigh....
It would be nice if a way could be found to assure privacy of the owner and still get the rifle documented.
Things of this sort, while private property, really belong to us all as part of our history.
I would hope that something could be worked out.
Dan

Offline Herb

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 07:06:17 AM »
Holzwurm- Jim Gordon's book "Great Gunmakers for the Early West", Vol III, the Western U.S., has on page 363 a fullstock conversion rifle, barrel maked J&S Hawken St. Louis, with brass trim.  It has a long sideplate and two lock bolts.  The forward lock bolt goes into the caplock conversion.  This rifle is in the Buffalo Bill Historical Center.  Page 370 has a typical looking Hawken fullstock caplock marked S. Hawken, also in the BBHC.  I can't find my notes at the moment, but I believe both these rifles are on the BBHC's web site, where you can call each one up and enlarge them larger than life size on your screen.
Herb

Sean

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »
"Jim Gordon's book "Great Gunmakers for the Early West", Vol III, the Western U.S., has on page 363 a fullstock conversion rifle, barrel maked J&S Hawken St. Louis, with brass trim.  It has a long sideplate and two lock bolts.  The forward lock bolt goes into the caplock conversion. "

Herb,

I haven't seen this set of books yet or this gun.  I'm ordering the set shortly and will look forward to seeing it.  If so it will be the first definite conversion I have seen, and I looked at Gordon's collection in 2006.  I looked at the Cody website and did not see a J&S Hawken meeting your description.  There is one on there that appears to have a converted lock that I doubt is original to the gun.  It has a heavy bolster and a single lock bolt.  That website also has high res pictures of the Peterson gun from Baird's book which I think is one of the earliest (but still percussion) Hawkens existing in public collections.

Sean

northmn

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 03:14:46 PM »
The probability is high enough that original Hawken flintlocks existed to build one.  The research is in seeing what might be appropriate.  The "early" hawken furniture you buy has a wider buttplate and a straight grip rail.  There is enough variation in hand built rifles made to order, and especially in J&S Hawkens early days to permit a certain amount of reasonable latitude. I think one could get by without a hooked breech for instance.

DP

Mike R

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 03:59:03 PM »
It would be silly to think that no flintlock rifles were being made by the Hawkens prior to 1830+/-.  The question usually revolves around whether or not they made their classic half stock plains/mountain rilfes in flint.  Since many [most?] of these rifles were made post 1830 most appear to have been caplocks.  St Louis merchants advertised by 1831 that they had over 2 million [2,000,000] percussion caps on hand for sale.  This suggests to me that the caplock was already popular by the time the classic Hawken came along...

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 05:37:06 PM »
I dug out my articles on trade rifles last night and flintlock models were being commonly offered through the 1850's; not that that means anything about the ever elusive, always sought flintlock Hawken (I built one, onc't, back around 1982 and it was a hard build compared to a Pennsylvania longrifle).
Andover, Vermont

Offline rsells

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 08:52:12 PM »
I tripped on a book named "The Peacemakers" written by R.L. Wilson while I was traveling some 10 years ago that has several examples of Hawken rifles in it.  On page 45 there is an example of a full-stock signed by Samuel Hawken that has been converted from a flintlock to a caplock.  It has a pointed final on the butt plate and a pinapple final patchbox.  All the hardware is iron.  The trigger guard is one of those unusual guards with a spur coming off the bow that forms the guard around the triggers, and it has a late grip rail.  The guard is like the guards Art Russel had in photographs of what he called G. Bergner, Washington, MO marked squirrel rifle.  I assume that these squirrel rifles are contemporary rifles made by Art's group for Mr. Bergner.  This book has good photo's of one of Kit Carson's rifle as well as several more Hawken rifles.  It was a good find, and I have enjoyed it a bunch.  Hawken rifles are tied for my first love of muzzleloading rifles.  Oh ya, on page 45 there is also a good shot of an Iron mounted J. Henry & Sons plains rifle that  I seen at the Smithsonian. 
                                                                            Roger Sells

Offline Herb

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 04:39:16 PM »
I just looked at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center Collection again.  www.bbhc.org.  On the first page you click "manufacturer" and pull down a menu where you can find J&S Hawken, S. Hawken, Samuel Hawken and W.S. Hawken.  Then you click on one of these and the thumbnail photo comes up.  Click on that and you see several photos of the same rifle.  You can enlarge these so much you can see the grain in the wood, bigger than your screen.  The J&S Hawken rifle comes up, and it is a conversion.  The S. Hawken is Liver Eating Johnson's halfstock, and a nice one, too.  W.S. Hawken's rifle is also a nice one.  Samuel Hawken's rifles are 5 halfstocks and one fullstock percussion, which looks like you expect except with a square cheek piece and a curved trigger guard.

I was at the Fort Bridger rendezvous last week and I carried one of the Hawkens I made, just to show off.  One trader commented on it.  He worked at the Hawken Rifle Shop in St Louis in 1977 and said he handled a lot of original Hawkens.  He said there were more fullstock rifles than you'd expect.  I also asked him if many were tapered barrels.  He thought a moment and then said "a few".  I also saw Neill Fields and Pat Lakin, and Pat had along the original Green River Rifle Work's shop rifle, a Jim Bridger copy.  The original has a 33" by 1 1/8 straight barrel with a half inch ramrod, not tapered, but I think the shop rifle was made with a tapered rod.  When Pat got the rifle at the close of GRRW, he cut the barrel to 30", and I think he said he put on new thimbles so he could have the ramrod 1/2" full length.  A very nice rifle, and not too hard to hold with that shorter barrel.  We held my rifle (the engraved one) next to it, and they looked generally similar in shape and details.  Of course, Neill Fields coached me on the correct lines, and Doc. Gary White, owner of the GRRW, gave me some comments on Hawken lines, also.  He stamped the barrel for me.
Herb

Sean

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 08:06:54 PM »
"I just looked at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center Collection again.  www.bbhc.org.  On the first page you click "manufacturer" and pull down a menu where you can find J&S Hawken, S. Hawken, Samuel Hawken and W.S. Hawken.  Then you click on one of these and the thumbnail photo comes up.  Click on that and you see several photos of the same rifle.  You can enlarge these so much you can see the grain in the wood, bigger than your screen.  The J&S Hawken rifle comes up, and it is a conversion. "

Herb,

Do you mean this one?

http://www.bbhc.org/collections/BBHC/CFM_ObjectPage.cfm?museum=CFM&VarObjectKey=32976

If so take a close look at those guns.  I say 'those' because if you zoom in on the full length shots, you'll notice that its a different gun than the one with the converted lock and the toe plate picture is of a third gun with a patchbox.  I referred you to the BBHC page from another web site and I honestly never noticed all this until now. 

Despite that, the converted lock gun has a lot of things that make me think the lock is a replacement on a gun that was always a caplock.  First there's no cut on the upper lock panel for the cock.  Second, if you look at the lock inlet you'll notice that its loose in the front half of the inlet, tight in the rear, and tight under the patent breech.  That's not the wear pattern you'd expect.  You'd expect it to be loose in the tail, which is where the mainspring causes more torque on the lock inlet. Third, the patent breech does not look like an addition to me.  I'd look at the other pics for a top view, but I think that's a different gun as well.  Finally, that is not a trigger guard style I've ever seen on any of the other (and there are reasonably few) known early Hawkens that are thought to date earlier than 1840.  Of course, I'm not an expert anywhere close to the caliber of Don Stith on this, and I do not yet have access to Jim's book for any other photos of this gun.  If his book has other evidence that would make us think otherwise, I will gladly eat crow on the issue. 

Oh, and for MikeR, I don't think they never made them in flint.  I just think they are rare as hens teeth today and probably pretty rare back then.  Don Stith told me once he'd examined a small handful of Hawkens that may have been converted at some point.  It makes a lot of sense that they are rare when you think of it this way.  In the 1830's there were some really big outfits in Lancaster and Philly turning out inexpensive flint rifles ($6-12 per gun) for the west by the wagon load.  If a small operator like the Hawken Brother's at that time tried to go head to head with them, there is no way they wouldn't have gone under.  The Hawken Brothers seem to have chosen to focus on the higher dollar market by incorporating some English characteristics, iron mounts and some of their own pizazz.  They provided a gun that was a step up from your average western trade rifle, but still suited for the West unlike a lot of the fancier guns being turned out back east.  But if you're going a step up in quality, why not include the new fangled ignition system that was being so highly touted at the time?  Hence, I don't believe that they made many flint guns by the 1830's when they really got rolling in the gun making trade.  Is that all speculation?  Yes, but its based in a pretty good understanding of the market of the time, the known records of the Hawken shop, and having researched some of the known early Hawken pieces.

Sean

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 09:14:50 PM »
"I just looked at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center Collection again.  www.bbhc.org.  On the first page you click "manufacturer" and pull down a menu where you can find J&S Hawken, S. Hawken, Samuel Hawken and W.S. Hawken.  Then you click on one of these and the thumbnail photo comes up.  Click on that and you see several photos of the same rifle.  You can enlarge these so much you can see the grain in the wood, bigger than your screen.  The J&S Hawken rifle comes up, and it is a conversion. "

Herb,

Do you mean this one?

http://www.bbhc.org/collections/BBHC/CFM_ObjectPage.cfm?museum=CFM&VarObjectKey=32976

If so take a close look at those guns.  I say 'those' because if you zoom in on the full length shots, you'll notice that its a different gun than the one with the converted lock and the toe plate picture is of a third gun with a patchbox.  I referred you to the BBHC page from another web site and I honestly never noticed all this until now. 

Despite that, the converted lock gun has a lot of things that make me think the lock is a replacement on a gun that was always a caplock.  First there's no cut on the upper lock panel for the cock.  Second, if you look at the lock inlet you'll notice that its loose in the front half of the inlet, tight in the rear, and tight under the patent breech.  That's not the wear pattern you'd expect.  You'd expect it to be loose in the tail, which is where the mainspring causes more torque on the lock inlet. Third, the patent breech does not look like an addition to me.  I'd look at the other pics for a top view, but I think that's a different gun as well.  Finally, that is not a trigger guard style I've ever seen on any of the other (and there are reasonably few) known early Hawkens that are thought to date earlier than 1840.  Of course, I'm not an expert anywhere close to the caliber of Don Stith on this, and I do not yet have access to Jim's book for any other photos of this gun.  If his book has other evidence that would make us think otherwise, I will gladly eat crow on the issue. 

Oh, and for MikeR, I don't think they never made them in flint.  I just think they are rare as hens teeth today and probably pretty rare back then.  Don Stith told me once he'd examined a small handful of Hawkens that may have been converted at some point.  It makes a lot of sense that they are rare when you think of it this way.  In the 1830's there were some really big outfits in Lancaster and Philly turning out inexpensive flint rifles ($6-12 per gun) for the west by the wagon load.  If a small operator like the Hawken Brother's at that time tried to go head to head with them, there is no way they wouldn't have gone under.  The Hawken Brothers seem to have chosen to focus on the higher dollar market by incorporating some English characteristics, iron mounts and some of their own pizazz.  They provided a gun that was a step up from your average western trade rifle, but still suited for the West unlike a lot of the fancier guns being turned out back east.  But if you're going a step up in quality, why not include the new fangled ignition system that was being so highly touted at the time?  Hence, I don't believe that they made many flint guns by the 1830's when they really got rolling in the gun making trade.  Is that all speculation?  Yes, but its based in a pretty good understanding of the market of the time, the known records of the Hawken shop, and having researched some of the known early Hawken pieces.

Sean

The cut for the cock is not a marker. Some double throated cocks stopped on the fence.
The parts were almost surely boughten. Thus they could take any form and do not have the be "Hawken".
This rifle was in the possession of Bill Fuller in AK when it appeared in Bairds book.
Had I know this discussion was going to take place I had a personal friend of Fuller here for supper last night and could have asked him if he was familiar with the rifle at all.
The rifle could just as easily have been originally percussion as originally flint. it would tale careful examination to determine this if its possible at all. But since its a heavy match rifle it could easily have been flintlock there is no accuracy loss in using a flintlock and at the time a flintlock my have shot better.

Dan

PS the lack of a front lock bolt is an indication of perc. Since the lock has a front lock bolt hole its even more suspicious. It needs more investigation to make hard comments. But it IS possible its been relocked. Good a theory as any until its really looked at. Which is not likely to happen.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 09:19:59 PM by Dphariss »

Sean

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 09:53:50 PM »
Dan,

I think those are two different guns you're looking at.  The converted lock has a front lock bolt hole that may have a bolt in it or may have been filled.  The full length shots showing the backside with one bolt is a different gun.  Note the trigger guards are different.  While you're right about needing it in hand, its a lot easier to swap a lock, than to fit a new percussion patent breech to a flint gun...

Actually, I just pulled out my copy of Baird's book.  There are two pictures of that gun in it on page 60, and it appears that the underside shot and the tang shot from BBHC are of the rifle with the converted lock, while the full length shots are a different gun.  I think that's the case because of the patchbox and guard as well as the chipout pattern around the tang.  Like you said, can't say a whole lot, but...

Sean

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 06:03:21 AM »
Dan,

I think those are two different guns you're looking at.  The converted lock has a front lock bolt hole that may have a bolt in it or may have been filled.  The full length shots showing the backside with one bolt is a different gun.  Note the trigger guards are different.  While you're right about needing it in hand, its a lot easier to swap a lock, than to fit a new percussion patent breech to a flint gun...

Actually, I just pulled out my copy of Baird's book.  There are two pictures of that gun in it on page 60, and it appears that the underside shot and the tang shot from BBHC are of the rifle with the converted lock, while the full length shots are a different gun.  I think that's the case because of the patchbox and guard as well as the chipout pattern around the tang.  Like you said, can't say a whole lot, but...

Sean

If I had a brain today I would have noticed that.  But between my daughters car repairs, my Dad in AK and my calling and my leaving messages my phone has hardly stopped ringing it seems. Did manage to finish a ramrod and case about 80 RBs anyway.
This rifle really needs to be looked at closer.

Dan

Offline Herb

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 06:27:59 AM »
Sean, you are right, that top rifle is a different one.  Spur on the trigger guard and only one lock bolt.  The other photos are of the rifle with a replaced lock, shown in Jim Gordon's book.  I was careless in what I said, I do not know if it was a flintlock converted to caplock.  Gordon in his book says "lock may not be original, unusual eight groove rifling."  Note that the toe plate is pinned to the toe of the butt plate.  I have no special knowledge about collecting rifles, I was mainly saying that there are two fullstock rifles in the BBHC.
Herb

Sean

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 05:06:22 PM »
DP,

Give Don Stith a call and ask him his thoughts on the 'early' and 'late' furniture.  He'll tell you when they are actually representative of and he'll also tell you that one of the butt plates now commonly sold for Hawkens was actually cast off a Dimick.

Sean