Author Topic: So,, whats your excuse!!!  (Read 12442 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

So,, whats your excuse!!!
« on: April 12, 2010, 09:15:30 PM »
Here in Pennsylvania yesterday was beautiful partly sunny cool  just great for our Shoot.  Our average number of shooters is 27 to 28; but on such a fine day 21 shooters showed up.  Several more had promised to show but failed to do so!

So what is your experience and reason for not going to a shoot yesterday?? Honeydo chores, sick and tired wot ???

Have you noticed that the turnout at shoots so far this year is down?

In any case, we had a good shoot.  Shot Tradegun, chunk, offhand paper, and a primative agg 20 to 75 yds.   Meat, meat and more meat.

Is this game in trouble...?   

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: So,, whats your excuse!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 10:04:48 PM »
No excuses here...spent the afternoon at the range with two old friends - my buddy Mark Rusin who I've known since we were kids (makes some nice rifles, bags, knives and horns too..) and a .54 Beck style rifle that Jim Klein built for my dad about 10 years back. ;)

While we were getting ready to shoot we got some questions from a guy set up next to us who was shooting a .22 and a pistol with his kids, who had a lot of interest and a few of the ususal misconceptions about flintlocks.  We let him look over our rifles - even offered to let them try a shot - and explained some things about how they work, etc.   Finally, he exclaimed "Now kids, when they shoot - you'll see a flash and then a long delay before the shot goes off." So we got to explaining that was actually a misconception, Hollywood, etc. and that if they are built properly they are very fast.  

Then I thought to myself  ..."Man...I sure hope these things go off nice and quick  on this first shot..." :o Luckily, they did. (Thanks Jim and Walt Cain for assembling that nice fast Siler!)  

All in all, it was a great day to be out.  Good shooting weather and I like to think that times like that are a chance to give someone the "bug" to get interested in traditional muzzleloaders.

Guy
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 10:43:38 PM by Guy Montfort »

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 10:08:15 PM »
No excuses here...spent the afternoon at the range with two old friends - my buddy Mark Rusin who I've known since we were kids (makes some nice rifles, bags, knives and horns too..) and a .54 Beck style rifle that Jim Klein built for my dad about 10 years back. ;)

While we were getting ready to shoot we got some questions from a guy set up next to us who was shooting a .22 and a pistol with his kids, who had a lot of interest and a few of the ususal misconceptions about flintlocks.  We let him look over our rifles - even offered to let them try a shot - and explained some things about how they work, etc.   Finally, he exclaimed "Now kids, when they shoot - you'll will see a flash and then a long delay before the shot goes off." So we got to explaining that was actually a misconception, hollwood, etc. and that if they are built properly they are very fast.  

Then I thought to myself  ..."Man...I sure hope these things go off nice and quick  on this first shot..." :o Luckily, they did. (Thanks Jim and Walt Cain for assembling that nice fast Siler!)  

All in all, it was a great day to be out.  Good shooting weather and I like to think that times like that are a chance to give someone the "bug" to get interested in traditional muzzleloaders.

Guy
In my experience seems if we 'talk' to 20 or 25 'prospects for new shooters' they often show interest; but if one out of 25 shows up even to just check us out its out of the ordinary.    If a guy truly wants to get involved we can't get rid of him/her with a stick! ::)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 10:11:27 PM by Roger Fisher »

ottawa

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 10:56:04 PM »
I was at the rang to but sad to say not with a ML but for the army  teaching the young soilders to shoot their rifles

coutios

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 12:06:55 AM »
   Went to the AOLRC show yesterday with friends. $2.00 for the show $12.00 to shoot. Unemployed, had  to make a choice on the things to do this weekend ..

Regards
Dave

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 12:41:15 AM »
Dave,
I hope you feel that you made a good choice. Did you enjoy the show?
Mark
Mark

chuck-ia

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 01:16:41 AM »
Yup, went shooting yesterday. A few young guys there with their girl friends shooting modern stuff. One guy thought my flintlock was really cool and liked the noise, he informed his buddy that it was from ww2 era. I walked over and told my buddy about it and he said, guess he should have finished High School. chuck-ia

D. Bowman

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 01:28:10 AM »
Hey Rodger ,

I shot at Harrisburg Hunters& Anglers  Woods walk on sunday, Then went home and started the honey do list.

Hey if the wife aint happy aint nobody happy....  ;D

Bob F

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 01:47:55 AM »
Yard work and helping teenage son change brakes on his truck occupied my day.  That and the new puppy.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 02:08:28 AM »
Sorry we couldn't make it Roger.  But 8 of us shot our trail yeaterday.  Crystal blue sky just above freezing - had a great time.  No one hit the egg this week...$20 goes toward next week's egg. 

This is Daryl trying (in vain) to cut his card...hopefuls Nick and Hatch Jack in the background.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 02:10:55 AM »
Went to our monthy shoot yesterday. Sunny, 75 .  A couple years ago we would have
50 shooters. Yesterday  20.    Sad :(
The Pistol Shooter

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 02:19:42 AM »
Sorry we couldn't make it Roger.  But 8 of us shot our trail yeaterday.  Crystal blue sky just above freezing - had a great time.  No one hit the egg this week...$20 goes toward next week's egg. 

This is Daryl trying (in vain) to cut his card...hopefuls Nick and Hatch Jack in the background.

Yeah I'm sorry I missed your w walk! :D  Our 75 yd egg survived also.  3 names drawn and 3 misses........So the pot grows.

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 02:21:59 AM »
We had eighteen shooters at our monthly shoot here in mid Michigan.Looking Glass Longrifles ,near Eagle,is the club's name .Shot the woodswalk and punched some paper . Tom Caster won the prize drawing received a tin cup and a handmade powder horn .Fine food  and a bunch of male bonding, can't get much better than that.  Eric D. Lau Riverdale Mi.

billd

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 02:39:11 AM »
I'm guilty......Roger, I plead for your forgiveness  :-[  Worked outside all day Saturday and the sinuses got so bad I couldn't see or breath.  Not seeing wouldn't effect my shooting much but not breathing would.

Bill

coutios

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 03:19:39 AM »
   Mark, as usual the show was great. Those of you that have not made one of these shows should put it on your things to do list. There is much more that just your old granddad'd half stock. There is also plenty of full stock flint guns and bench "slug" guns. Also the accouterments to go along with them..
   Back to shooting. With as many M/L'ing rifles being produced ( Not including the collectables) How do we entice the new owners to come and play at the range with us????
  In the past I would have went to the show on Saturday and shot on Sunday..

Regards
Dave

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 04:38:38 AM »
Six out of twelve White River Brigade members shot at our monthly shoot yesterday.  Out here where I live if you get six folks shooting you've done good.

I don't think today's crop of muzzle loading shooters are as dedicated to the sport as most of us here.  Not all, but many of the new comers IMHO.  

In the WRB we have (including myself) 3 dedicated traditional muzzle loading enthusiast who have been around the game for a long time (30 to 40 years), and one enthusiast who has been around the game for four straight years and has never missed a match.  

The rest of the members have an "I don't care" attitude about them.  It's almost like we're an inconvenience to them because we scheduled monthly shoots.

However, we keep the WRB plugging away in hope that some day we'll have all quality membership who look forward to the matches and want to be part of something that's an enjoyable sport/hobby each month of the year.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 04:39:51 AM by Candle Snuffer »

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 05:24:06 AM »
Yes the weather was fine and also wanted to get out to shoot for first time since WNS in Phoenix, but my first day off with nice weather saw me going to see my first grandson, born on Thurs.  Name is Hunter Ryan and he got signed up in the NMLRA today. Great day for me even if I didnt get to shoot. I will be ordering the stock blank this week.  Best wishes and Flintlocks Forever.     Gary

Leatherbelly

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 07:34:38 AM »
 I was shocked! ...only one smoothbore at our weekly shoot,that being mine. Only dropped four on the first thirty or so targets. Then after that I kinda fell apart. Next 20 I shot 50%. All in all, a great day. Got a peak at the new rifle gonne later in the aft. She's going to be sweet! In "Shop Made Tools", Taylor posted a jig holding the tricker guard.Nice work, that Taylor does!

California Kid

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 07:48:38 AM »
I wondered what happened to the Donner Party!

William Worth

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 02:29:42 PM »
Yes, this past weekend was excellent weather for shooting.  And it was also the spring Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot. 

But then we had a calf get out.... and then her momma got out after her...so I didn't get to go to that either.

Life interferes.  :(

bob243

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 10:56:27 PM »
Couldn't skip out on my nephew's christening  :-\

This weekend I am going to a shoot in WI saturday and another in IL sunday though  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 10:57:53 PM by bob243 »

Lon Baugh

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 11:06:18 PM »
Had a wedding on Saturday to go to. (no it wasn't mine) I made the last day of a nearby Rendezvous. Wind was really blowing but I managed to hit all my 100 yard plus targets and miss the real close ones.

The economy here is in the pits purty bad. Seems like less traders but about the same amount of people shooting as in the last couple years though.   LB

Old Salt

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 12:07:14 AM »
Hey Roger

I took my son to the Columbia Fish and Game woodswalk, where he out scored me.  There were nine targets he hit 7, I hit 5.  I have three or four excuses for my poor shooting but they aren't worth beans.

We hope to see you in May.

Leo 

Offline markwi

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 02:25:08 AM »
Bob243, are you shooting at Milton and Rockford, I will try both if all goes well. Mark

J.D.

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 02:52:51 AM »
Well, the only excuse I had was it was too far to drive to collect a $20 prize. Let me explain, I drove an hour and a half, each way, to attend the Ft. DeChartre Colonial trade fair on Saturday. I had planned to shoot on Saturday, they shoot 5 shots at an X marked on a board placed at an unknown distance, but the prizes were awarded on Sunday.  While I had a blast, no pun intended, at the trade faire, I didn't feel that it was worth the three hour drive, round trip, to collect a $20 prize....not to mention that I'm too cheap to just throw away a decent blanket prize, so to speak.

Since folks come from all over the country, Sunday is little more than pack up and travel day for most of the participants, I assumed that the prizes were awarded Saturday evening at the drawing for the raffle and auction. Paul Bingham won the first prize, for the raffle; a new Chuck Edwards Schimmel. I didn't win jack, but that's ok. I had fun regardless.

God bless