Author Topic: Barrel Makers List  (Read 63041 times)

Rasch Chronicles

Barrel Makers List
« on: July 29, 2011, 10:09:26 AM »
Barrel Makers and Suppliers

I spent a little time yesterday entertaining myself by chasing down all sorts of Muzzleloader related links. I went from one person's links page to another, checking out the different craftsmen, and the suppliers people use.  You would be surprised how many folks are out there doing something ML related. Having been in the Blogosphere for several years, I'm not surprised by how many dead links there are too. There are some businesses and people that have multiple references/links on top shelf sites that have disappeared.

Anyway, since I can't blog from where I am at, I thought I would do one of my usual things, and track down a certain aspect of the trade;  in this case I decided to work on the heart of a muzzleloader, looking for Barrel Manufacturers and Suppliers. I've also included some that I can't find a link to, but maybe some of you might have some information on them to add.

Please feel free to mention any other barrel manufacturers or suppliers that I may have missed.
And speaking of missed, don’t miss the Black Powder Suppliers Post and Lock Makers and Suppliers.

Thanks!
Albert “El Matamoro” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles

Suppliers:
Track of the Wolf / TOtW Barrel page
Muzzleloaders Builders’ Supplies / Current inventory
Tennessee Valley Manufacturing /Barrels
Clay Smith Master Gunsmith / Supplies: Long Hammock Barrels
Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply / Barrels
Stonewall Creek Outfitters / Rayl, Colrain, GM, Rice Barrels
The Rifle Shoppe, Inc.
Knob Mountain Muzzleloading Supplies: Colerain Barrels
Log Cabin Shop / Barrels
The Gun Works / Colerain and Oregon Barrel Co Barrels*
*The Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium is the parent company of Oregon Barrel Co
Buckeye Barrels
Jedediah Starr Trading Compnay / Barrels
Dixie Gun Works: Barrels
North Star West, Inc Trade Guns
GunstocksPlus Rice Barrels

Tip Curtis Frontier Shop Custom Guns Parts and Supplies for Kentucky Rifles P.O. Box 203 4445 Jernigan Road Cross Plains, TN 37049 615-654-4445
Erwin Fagle, Deer Creek Products 6989 E. Michigan Rd., Waldron, IN 46182, or PO Box 246, same ZIP; phone 765-525-6181

Barrel Manufacturers:
Getz Barrel Company Mr Getz will soon have a product line description and catalog!
Buckeye Barrels / Current inventory
Rice Barrels Prices
Colerain Barrel Company
Green Mountain Muzzleloader Barrels
Long Hammock Barrels, Inc 1066 NE 130th Ave Oxford, FL 34484 (352) 748-7373

Custom Barrel Makers
Ed Rayl, P.O. Box 91, Gassaway WV 26624 304-364-8269 Can make just about anything barrel related.
Robert Hoyt, 700 Fairfield Station Rd.  Fairfield, PA 17320 717-642-6696 at Freischutz Gun Shop
Charles Burton Burton Barrels , 250 S. Liddie Way, Morehead, KY 40351, (606)-780-7709 flintlockcalb50@hotmail.com Note: Bought John Goodein’s equipment and is now producing barrels to any specifications.
W. Jenkins, Sadly. Mr. Jenkins passed in 2014.
James Mclemore, 16005 South Grove Rd. Hebron, In. 46341 (219) 996-4297 jimarg@hughes.net
Howard Kelly and Rich Crabtree, Webertown Rifleworks 1098 Webertown Rd. Lynchburg, Ohio 45142 (937) 364-2086 ctree1763@aol.com

NEW Barrel Makers and Smiths!

I did not have an oportunity to check them. Some of these I am certain are modern barrel makers, or do both. As I have time, I will ascertain what they do and add them to the respective sections.

Taylor Machine  253-445-4073;

Redmans Rifling and Reboring:  Randall Redman   189 Nichols Rd.  Omak, Wa 98841  509-826-5512

Siegrist Gun Shop: Al Siegrist  8752 Turtle Rd.  Whittemore, Mi. 48770  989-873-3929

Starlight Enterprises:  Randy Selby PO Box 221 Wapiti Wy. 82450  307-587-3581

Sonny France  4932 Grandview  Okemos, Mi 48864  517-349-4532

Jim Carpenter Barrels 208-245-3693

Barrel makers with little or no information that I can find:
Mark de Haas Guns (660) 872-6308

Again, if I missed any barrel makers or suppliers, please let me know so we can put together a comprehensive list.

Best regards,
Albert “Yes, I am still in Afghanistan!” Rasch
The Best Boar Hunting Calibers: Part I
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 06:40:31 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline AndyThomas

Re: Barrel Makers List
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 02:48:46 PM »
These guys have trade gun barrels in various lengths and bore sizes. I think they're profiled based on guns in their collection.

www.northstarwest.com
formerly the "barefoot gunsmith of Martin's Station" (now retired!)

www.historicmartinsstation.com

Offline James

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 02:53:20 PM »
Another not on your list:

Robert Hoyt,           717-642-6696 at Freischutz Gun Shop
700 Fairfield Station Rd.
Fairfield, PA 17320

Good list!
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 02:55:40 PM »
Suppliers of Colerain, Rice, Rayl

http://www.stonewallcreekoutfitters.com

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 03:00:39 PM »
Holy Smokes!

I thought I went everywhere looking for barrels! Thanks fellows, I'll add them to the list.

Best regards,
Albert “Yes, I am still in Afghanistan!” Rasch
The Best Boar Hunting Calibers: Part I

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 03:10:37 PM »
   Burton Barrels

Charles Burton  Morehead, Ky    Can get more information when I get home

Rich
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 07:40:31 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 03:27:51 PM »
Thank you very much guys!

What I will do next is create a post with what they make, for instance... dang now I forgot... well it's either Burton or Jenkins, can make barrels up to 49 inches long with left or right hand twist. One of 'em is pretty well known in the chunk gun circuit. I guess it would make sense to build up a spread sheet. Anyhow it'll give me something to work on for the next few days!

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
Preserving and Tanning Small Hides

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 03:41:35 PM »
McLemore.
Shoots them for accuracy before he ships, uses 4140-4150

Dan

James Mclemore
   16005 South Grove Rd.
   Hebron, In. 46341

Ph. (219) 996-4297

jimarg@hughes.net
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 03:44:51 PM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 03:55:26 PM »
Thanks Dan, got him in.

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
Handmade Custom Traditional Bows

Offline James

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 05:15:52 PM »
Tip Curtis?
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 06:19:11 PM »
James,

Looked up Tip Curtis, and the references I found were older. But folks speak very well of him and he seems to have a lot of stuff. I called, but I believe I got an answering machine, and it was hard to make out as teh connection was not very good. I sure would liek to know more.

Thanks!
Albert

rsh

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 06:39:42 PM »
Thanks much, I've been looking for a pistol barrel that is reminiscent of the Scottish Highland style. Think I have found something I can use.
Take Care

Offline deano

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 06:40:49 PM »
Is Howard Kelly still in the barrel business?

Webertown Rifle Works
1098 Webertown Road
Lynchburg, OH 45142
(937)364-2086

Howard had build a few barrels for me a few years ago, I have a long one on my Vincent. Good quality and quick shipping.

Ken

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 07:08:41 PM »
Deano,

Hmmm, that's a tough one. Few current references to him, Weberton Rifle Works, or Wilderness Rifle Works.  Maybe someone one can confirm.

Albert
Lions in the Yard!

dbraw

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 08:45:52 PM »
Tip curtis is up at the Gunmakers fair this week. He does not make barrels, but has a larger supply of barrels than anyone in the world.
Dan

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 09:40:17 PM »
Weberton Rifle Works, or Wilderness Rifle Works. 

Not the same.  Wilderness Rifle Works was owned by Irwin Fagle.  They sold their own line of rifles, as well as the Hopkins & Allen underhammers.  Also a key dealer for CVA and Traditions, as well as a warranty point.  Wholesale supplier to the trade.  He had his own barrel making shop.  Was hit by a tornado several years ago and suffered much damage.  Don't know the extent of his business these days.  He always had a booth at Friendship.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 12:04:31 AM »
Hey TOF,

Thanks for the lead. It appears that Erwin Fagle owned Mowrey Gun Works in Waldro IN, and sold it to Deer Creek Products 6989 E. Michigan Rd., Waldron, IN 46182, or PO Box 246, same ZIP; phone 765-525-6181. No website for Deer Creek, but word is they are close to friendship and have lots of stuff in their shop.

Albert

blunderbuss

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 12:45:42 AM »

I fell heir to a .50 cal machine gun barrel once many years before I had money to buy a real ML barrel so I sawed off a chunk and made a pistol barrel . The chamber had a hardened piece of steel in it but the rest sawed just fine. Now that's progress.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 02:35:45 AM »
It appears that Erwin Fagle owned Mowrey Gun Works in Waldro IN, and sold it to Deer Creek Products

Dude, Fagle owns Deer Creek too.  They were all companies at the same location.  Deer Creek is the mother company.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 04:58:50 AM »
Ok, to clarify:

Erwin Fagle has owned or owns the following:
Wilderness Rifle Works, (Research shows it possibly closed in 1994?)
Mowrey Gun Works,
Deer Creek Products,
and the Hopkins & Allen line of underhammer rifles and pistols.

So, from what I have garnered, they have a good selection of supplies, attend Friendship, and do not sell via the Internet.

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles: George Washington, President and Fisherman
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 05:23:58 AM by Albert "Afghanus" Rasch »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 05:04:21 AM »
Erwin Fagle has owned or owns the following:
Wilderness Rifle Works, (Research shows it possibly closed in 1994?)
Mowrey Gun Works,
and Deer Creek Products.

And the Hopkins & Allen line of underhammer rifles and pistols.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline James

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 05:57:08 AM »
Tip Curtis has an ad in the classifieds of the Aug. Muzzleblasts, appears to have quite a pile of barrels.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 09:17:18 AM »
I believe Howard Kelly is Still in the business.  He makes excellent barrels as well as stock finishes.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2011, 10:15:35 AM »
Howdy all!
Does anyone have anything on Mr Kelly?
How about John Goodein?

And ummm, I don't suppose someone would be kind enough to scan and send me Mr Tip Curtis' ad... Please.

Best regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Mexican Fiesta Pt I

Offline Charlie B

• fcibarrels
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2011, 03:38:54 PM »
Jim Goodein has been retired for 4 years. I purchased his equipment to start my business.
Charlie