Author Topic: Flintlock / percussion hammer conversion  (Read 4779 times)

McLeanWelsh

Flintlock / percussion hammer conversion
« on: February 24, 2013, 03:57:29 PM »
Hi there, so i remember a year or so ago seeing a hammer conversion someone had that would switch a flintlock to a percussion.

It switch out the top jaw of the cock ans the frizzen.

Anybody remember this ? Or know where to find one ?

Cheers, McLean

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Flintlock / percussion hammer conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 04:29:58 PM »
 I don't remember that one, but have seen examples (mostly done by Native Americans) that use this system. Basically they take a chunk of iron, and drill it to accept the jaw screw, then recess it for the nipple. Once screwed in place, and butted up against the back of the cock, to keep it from swiveling, your ready to go. I have seen examples that had a piece of iron substituted for the flint, with a recess for the nipple, that was forge brazed into the jaws of the cock. I made one of the latter ones from an old Dixie kit gun, who's flintlock had such poor geometry that it wouldn't work at all. It works just fine as a percush.

Hungry Horse

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 07:20:37 PM »
Not sure this is what you're looking for but this is on an original new England rifle in my collection.

Mitch Yates

McLeanWelsh

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 11:43:39 PM »
similar to that but the one I saw on a forum was being made and sold by someone. it replaced the frizzen and hinged on the frizzen screw with a nipple that screwed into it then the top jaw was replaced by a hammer for hitting the cap.

I was wanting to get one for one of my guns so the gf could shoot it ( she doesnt like a the fire in the face with the flinter yet haha)

thanks for the input though!

cheers, McLean

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 11:49:33 PM »
The only one I can think of is Jim Chambers golden age percussion.Scroll down a little http://www.flintlocks.com/locks3.htm
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:50:00 PM by aka tallbear »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 01:43:12 AM »
 I remember seeing what you describe, I think. It was a block of metal that fit in under the open frizzen, and wedged down over the pan, with a nipple screwed into it. The flint was removed, and a small square hammer face replaced it. The pan was primed just like a flinter, but was ignited by a cap.
 I think, whoever was making them, quit after about the third running gun battle erupted at a rendezvous, when somebody shot the flint trail, and then put one of these contraptions on, and shot the percussion trail with the same gun.

Hungry Horse

McLeanWelsh

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 01:46:58 AM »
ahh well that sounds awful then, perhaps ill just have to sell something and find her a light smaller sized gun like a kids rifle. they seem to be hard to come by though.

cheers, McLean

Offline Tim Harrison

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 05:40:15 AM »
Here is a previous topic that discussed this type of conversion.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=17465.0

tim

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
 Tim;

These are all early conversions, the one I referred to was modern, and pictured in either Muzzleloader, or Muzzleblasts, some years ago, and produce a big uproar. There were some safety concerns as well.

Hungry Horse