Author Topic: Lester Smith  (Read 5120 times)

Offline 44-henry

Lester Smith
« on: August 08, 2013, 06:46:09 AM »
I was having a conversation with a friend the other day and he mentioned having recently seen a rifle signed by Lester Smith. I remember reading about him in one of the Foxfire books years ago, but not much else. He sounded like an interesting person and I am curious if there has been anything written about him. Someone said that he died at a young age, just curious if anyone here knows anything about him.

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 05:00:32 PM by Fullstock longrifle »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Lester Smith
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 07:09:43 PM »
That pierced wearplate had to be the most complex inlay of all time.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 02:16:15 AM »
Look closely, are the patchbox, wearplate, etc, inlaid, or on top of the wood? They appear very thin.

Kuntz used thin metal, very complex in design, heavily nailed down.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 06:13:47 PM »
Tom,  I was just told they were inlaid, but I've not had them in my hand.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Habu

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 02:24:17 AM »
The one I've handled was inlaid, though not as heavily pierced as the one on comtemporarymakers.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 04:25:18 AM »
I have handled one as well... not quite as elaborate as that one but by far the most elaborate "modern" rifle I've ever handled. Everything was inlaid with an astonishing level of precision. I suppose because it was all that was available at the time, the lock was very mediocre.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 04:27:18 AM by JV Puleo »