Author Topic: Ballistol  (Read 21649 times)

cowboys1062

Ballistol
« on: May 12, 2015, 06:09:48 AM »
 I've read about alot of good things on the use of Ballistol. I heard that the German Army used it to maintain and protect their rifles during WW1. Alot of guys use the stuff on their muzzleloaders. I have never used Ballistol and want to know more about its use and why people are using it over other products on the market. So I have some questions I hope you can answer to educate me on Ballistol. Can you use it to wipe between shots at the range?When you get home and give your muzzleloader a good general cleaning after use, can you add Ballistol to your soap and water when cleaning the outside and inside your barrel and bore? After cleaning and wipeing out the excessive moisture out of the bore, can you use Ballistol to coat the inside of the bore for final storage and rust protection. Can it be used to protect the bore for long term storage? I also read that Ballistol does'nt hurt wood. I was wondering if you could wipe down the outside and inside of the entire muzzleloader with it. I use Birchwood Casey's Barricade in all my muzzleloader bores as of now and have never had a problem with rust so I seem to like Barricade for general cleaning and long term storage. I was just wondering if Ballistol would work better or just as good. What are the Pros and Cons of using Ballistol and what purposes do you use it for? Thankyou, Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
Re: Ballistol
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 06:26:55 AM »
Cowboy, I have been using it for years.After cleaning up my smokepole I coat the inside of my barrel and have noy had any rust show up. If planning to put my gun up for a long while, I use rig grease on the inside of my barrels. Its well known in the muzzleloading world. I have no complaints.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 06:57:45 AM »
It can be used mixed with water as a wet patch lube (about 1 part Ballistol to 5 or 6 parts water works for me).  Also the same mix works as a cleaning solvent.  And Topnot shared, full strength it makes a rust preventative.  Unlike most liquid cleaners it will not harm most finishes including leather.  Smells like $#@* though.  I use it for bore solvent and for oiling metal once clean.  Another note, leave the soap out of your mixtures.  Room temp water is perfect solvent for black powder residue.  Wipe the bore dry and put in the ballistol which will interact with any dampness.  I wipe a second time and run a second Ballistol patch through as insurance for water removal. 

cowboys1062

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 07:39:22 AM »
 Thankyou for the replies and information. Very informitive and helpful! Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 11:27:04 AM »
I love Ballistol and I even like the smell.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 03:33:59 AM »
I also use Ballistol on all parts of my BP rifles. The only difference is when I put them away for any period of time I always use RIG grease in the barrel.

I watched dad treat the barrels on all his weapons with RIG while growing up so the tradition kinda stuck.
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

Offline lexington1

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 04:04:39 AM »
I too think Balistol is great stuff, and have been using it for quite a few years now. I haven't tried it but I think it might be a good idea to give a light coat of RIG to the bore, as sometimes the Balistol will dry up.

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 07:24:11 AM »
I've been using Ballistol for several years.  When I was still shooting rifles I used the Dutch Schoultz method of using 6:1 (6 parts water to 1 part Ballistol) to create "dry patches".  It worked very well.  When I transitioned to flintlock smoothbores I used the same 6:1 mix as a bore solvent to wipe between shots.  It's sort of a reverse "dry patch" technique in that the Ballistol is leaving a slight film of lube in the bore.  Wet patch followed by a dry patch.  I then load with powder, an over powder wad, ball or shot, and a thin over shot card.  It has worked well for me.  At the end of the day I remove the lock and scrub it under hot water from the tap.  I use compressed air to blow away the water and follow it with a liberal dousing with WD 40.  More on that later.  Then I wrap a paper towel around the barrel and stock to cover the vent.  It's easy to stuff the ends into the lock mortise.  This absorbs any solution that comes from the vent during the next step.  I clean the bore with patches wet with the same 6:1 solution I've been using all day.  It usually takes about 5 patches before the last one comes out a light grey.  A couple of dry patches are followed by two patches soaked in WD 40.  I remove the paper towel from around the barrel/vent area and wipe down with 6:1 solution to remove fouling followed by a pipe cleaner through the vent.  I wipe down the exterior of the barrel with WD 40.  Finally, I soak one last patch with WD 40 and run it down the bore on the jag leaving it against the breech.  To be clearer, the rod, jag, and WD 40 soaked patch are left in the barrel.  The entire cleaning process takes less than 30 minutes and I have had absolutely no rust show up anywhere.  I have a Dutch Club Butt 20 gauge fowling piece and a Pedersoli Brown Bess musket that get shot often.  No rust. 

I wish I could claim credit for all of the above but I got all my ideas from Dutch Schoultz.  I just adapted his ideas to smoothbores.  I also need to point out that I only shoot flintlocks.  I don't know if the cleaning technique I use will work on percussion guns because I've never tried it.  Percussion guns have a much longer and more convoluted flash channel than a flinter.  There's more places for fouling to hide.  And before folks start screaming about the evils of WD 40 let me say that there was a time when I agreed with you completely.  I was a full time gunsmith for a fair number of years.  I shot mostly black powder but worked on modern firearms because that paid the bills.  I won't even guess how much money I made thanks to WD 40.  I warned my customers against its use.  But there's a difference between the average modern shooter and us black powder types.  I made money thanks to the fact that modern shooters will all too often shoot their guns, hose them down with WD 40, and put them away without cleaning.  WD 40 will form a gum over time and that gum will attract and hold smokeless powder fouling and all the other dirt that ends up in a firearms action.  The eventual result is a firearm that simply ceases to work thanks to accumulated crud.  We black powder shooters clean our guns thoroughly each and every time we shoot them.  For that simple reason we can get away with using that bad ol' WD 40.  It does what it was designed to do, displace water.  No moisture in contact with steel, no rust.  At least that's what has worked for me.  I'm not trying to convert anybody.

Storm     

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 07:54:29 PM »
I used to use ballistol and it works great in the environment that I live and shoot in. I love it. However I have heard from folks that live in other environs that it does not work so well for them. I ran out of ballistol a few years ago and decided to try simple wd40 like some others on this board use, and found that it worked just as well for me and it was easier to find locally---probably cheaper too.

K

Galations 2:20

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 12:38:21 AM »
I used to use ballistol and it works great in the environment that I live and shoot in. I love it. However I have heard from folks that live in other environs that it does not work so well for them. I ran out of ballistol a few years ago and decided to try simple wd40 like some others on this board use, and found that it worked just as well for me and it was easier to find locally---probably cheaper too.

K

Ken,

Do you mean straight WD-40 as a patch lube?  That's interesting.  Do you use a wet patch technique with it, do you wipe between shots, or can you shoot all day without wiping the bore?  Thanks.

Mole Eyes
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 02:51:08 AM by moleeyes36 »
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline heelerau

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 09:35:17 AM »
 I bought my first can of Balistol the other day, to help with an old PH Naval rifle, with a cruddy bore. I have been using olive oil for a long time, and found I don't need to cap muskets and cap and balls off. My mungery .451 Volunteer is another matter !. I did use wd 40 for many years but since using long rifles found it wanting.   I have not had a chance to try it as a dry patch lube as yet. I normally use spit patch.

Cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 11:15:23 PM »
I do not use wd-40 for patch lube--- just for bore care. I use spit when target shooting and if I am hunting I use mink oil or a home made bear oil and beeswax mixture.

K
Galations 2:20

rfd

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 01:52:12 AM »
another big fan of ballistol here.  i should buy stock in the company. 

i use it in a 5-10% solution with softened water for barrel, lock and action cleaning of all my muzzle loaders and bpcr rifles.  after cleaning out the bp residue, i'll use either wd40 or break free as the oil preservative.  i also use the same solution for between-the-shot bpcr fouling control via patch wiping. 

for muzzle loader prb's i use either a 1:6 ballistol:water dry patch strip or sheep tallow wiped on a patch strip.

lately i've also been using the 5-10% ballistol solution for cleaning out my 1911 .45acp (w231 white powder) - does a great job, followed by break free for preservation.

love the ballistol.  8)

nosrettap1958

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 05:07:54 AM »
I can't handle the smell of Ballistol.  When I started shooting muzzleloaders there wasn't any Ballistol so I've always used WD-40 after cleaning with soap and water.  But a lot of people swear by it so and it does do a great job, but I just can't handle the smell.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 05:09:45 AM by crawdad »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 05:33:38 AM »
Anyone interested in Ballistol should see the other threads already posted up here wrt Ballistol  Here is four pages worth: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=13594.0  which runs from 2010-2013.  77 posts.

and-http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=4450.0
and-http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=14305.0
and-http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=12751.0
and-http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=12059.0
and-http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=16838.0

Wipe between shots?!  Only if competing at the top end of benchrest would i even consider wiping between shots, it's simply proven absolutely un-needed with proper ball/patch/lube combinations-for average competitions and any number of shots.

Cleaning?  not necessary.  Water is the perfect solvent for BP residue.  Your lube may cause a residue that needs more, but BP...never.  LOTS of threads on "cleaning" and the pertinent discussions previously posted.

Preservative-I have no clue.  Happy with a clean gun and a bit of oil in the bore.  All i need.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 05:46:28 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline hudson

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 05:44:41 AM »
Ballistol has worked well for me both for patch lube and final wipe down. Different rifles like a different ratio. Usually from 20/80 to 50/50 Ballistol/water, generally 20/80, no cleaning between shots in a twenty match.

Offline Molly

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
I don't want to make this a discussion about cleaning but I do find Ballistol appears to be an effective cleaning agent more so that other similar sorts.  After thorough cleaning I will "scrub" the bore with a brush, then hit it with a oiled patch.  I have used other products and after several swabs come out with a pretty clean patch.  THEN, I'll use a Ballistol followup and find that it continues to remove residue which the others could not apparently get.  I have also used it on modern firearms and smokeless and it seems to work better than just about anything else.  As far as a cleaning agent, WD seems to be the least effective.  BTW, I'm not speaking to actually using them as a primary cleaning agent, just one of the final steps following thorough and proper cleaning with water

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 01:14:12 AM »
Molly,
Just as an aside, if you use a brush make sure it is "looped" to the base and not crimped. They are buggers go get out of a bore when they come apart. If you have a proper fitting jag and patch a brush is unnecessary.
Mark
Mark

Offline Molly

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 01:40:33 AM »
Mark:  A proper fitting jag....ok how many variations of 40 cal are there?  But I bulk up the jag with a small 22 cal patch of light weight material under the larger patch.  Fits so tight the vacuum often sucks the bigger patch off the jag as it pops out the barrel!

As to the need for a brush, let's put it this way.  I can swab till the cows come home and all looks perfectly clean.  ZERO residue on a patch.  So, it's clean, right?  But then squirt a small blast of Ballistol down, brush and swab again.  Out comes a patch with adequate residue to be call "dirty". 

But lets say rather than Ballistol you squirt WD.  Out comes a clean patch...no residue after brushing.  Basic point is that Ballistol seems to remove residue that other similar products does not.

Once again not going to make it a how to clean discussion cause I know EVERYONE has their views on that.  But I'll add one more Ballistol and WD comment.  I have had the little red tube on the Ballistol can squirt down the bore.  Surprisingly hard to get that out.  WD has a fixed tube...so if you use Ballistol, hang on to the the little tube (or maybe use the non aerosol product).

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 02:39:36 AM »
Never tried it.  Probably never will, because I don't have any problems that need addressing.  Traditional stuff works just fine for me.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 03:35:46 AM »
Molly,
As was said, everyone works to a different standard. Just saying that brushes are devils to get out, be careful.
Mark
Mark

Offline Molly

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 04:19:30 AM »
Thanks Mark, I had the misfortune to experience that once.  I was using a "shotgun" brush on a 58 cal.  It required an adapter for the threads.  I thought I had the right one....but not so.  About 18 inches from the muzzle it came off.  I honestly don't recall how I managed to get it out but I "learnt my lesson".

BartSr

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 09:30:45 PM »
Molly,
Just as an aside, if you use a brush make sure it is "looped" to the base and not crimped. They are buggers go get out of a bore when they come apart. If you have a proper fitting jag and patch a brush is unnecessary.
Mark

Yes, that's so right on.  ;D  I had one come loose and it was the crimped type, never again.

C. Cash

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2015, 05:14:43 AM »
It's great stuff.   Supposedly, not as harmful to human body as many cleaners with petroleum distillates.  I use it 1/2 ballistol 1/2 water to clean, full strength to protect bore and outer metal surfaces.  The smell will grow on you.  It is not a long term protectant and I would advise that when humid to run a ballistol moistened patch down the bore and over the metal surfaces every 3 weeks.  I've not had rust ever doing this.  I use it now on both BP and smokeless, with no regrets.    Another plus is that despite my best efforts, it does not damage wood.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 11:15:15 PM by C. Cash »

Hessian

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2015, 08:23:42 PM »
For me its Ballistol all the way!
I clean with it and lube with it. Occasionally I use a little WD40 for water displacement when I clean with water after shooting blanks.