Author Topic: Set Triggers  (Read 2916 times)

brokenflint

Set Triggers
« on: August 13, 2018, 05:41:19 AM »
I've never made a set trigger and would like to give it a shot.  Anyone have knowledge of good reference material available on building one? I have Dixons book and Recreating the ALR anything else I should get my hands on?

greybeard

Re: Set Triggers
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 06:28:50 AM »

Study the picture it might help a bit Not all that hard once you get them figured out, Bob

Offline KC

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 02:17:20 PM »
See if you can get your hands on  "Triggers" by Pryor Mountain Bill Newton. It's a small (something like 8 pages) booklet that has some good info to get you started. TOTW used to sell it but it looks like they're out right now. The tutorial section probably has just as much or more info if you search it.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 03:24:36 PM »
Peter Alexander's book has a section on making them.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 06:18:27 PM »
James Webb produced a 200 page book titled "Drawings of a Rifle Gun." It has a section on double triggers that is pretty detailed, along with drawings of other pieces of rifle furniture accompanied by his notes on the items. Pretty interesting.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

brokenflint

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 11:04:11 PM »
Dave, thanks for the info on the Webb book, about how old is this, 70s 80s book?

Somewhere stashed in the moving boxes are Alexanders book, used to have a copy of the Pryor Mtn Bill booklet but lost track of it over the years, have to keep my eye out for a replacement.

Greybeard, I thought about buying an original a decade or so ago, regretting I didn't pick it up  :-[ but maybe looking for a new set as a reference at cla may come into play.

brokenflint

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 05:53:20 AM »
Anyone have any photos of originals they could post up?

galudwig

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 02:10:52 PM »
My copy of Jim Webb's book (Drawings of Rifle Gun Triggers, Locks & Fittings & Etc.) is from 2009, so it is pretty recent. There were only 500 copies printed, so they could be tough to find (I highly recommend it though). I got my copy from Ian Pratt. He was selling them for Jim a while back, so you might send him a PM (he's on the ALR site) to see if he has any left.

Here is a good step by step from the Tutorial section:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=4616.0

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 04:16:50 PM »
Here are some shots of a simple set triggers.  Note the multi leaf front trigger return spring :o

Dave Blaisdell

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 02:49:43 PM »
Brokenflint: A lot of old original set triggers had only one bar which would keep the sear bar up until you set the triggers again.  I find this to be a safety issue.  I like the double bar triggers which only knock the sear bar up to release the tumbler. This means that you do not have to "set" the triggers to pull the cock to half cock.  Just a thought - Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 04:27:41 PM »
Brokenflint: A lot of old original set triggers had only one bar which would keep the sear bar up until you set the triggers again.  I find this to be a safety issue.  I like the double bar triggers which only knock the sear bar up to release the tumbler. This means that you do not have to "set" the triggers to pull the cock to half cock.  Just a thought - Hugh Toenjes

The lock must be set into the stock and then the triggers and final clearance filed or ground
into the spring driven release bar or the driving spring must be tensioned to attain the
not having to set the triggers to cock the lock.
The doubled forward trigger spring on the antique triggers is an obvious,expedient driven
repair and nothing more.
Bob Roller

Offline PPatch

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 04:55:58 PM »
Dave, thanks for the info on the Webb book, about how old is this, 70s 80s book?

Somewhere stashed in the moving boxes are Alexanders book, used to have a copy of the Pryor Mtn Bill booklet but lost track of it over the years, have to keep my eye out for a replacement.

Greybeard, I thought about buying an original a decade or so ago, regretting I didn't pick it up  :-[ but maybe looking for a new set as a reference at cla may come into play.

2007 is the latest date on my copy but it looks as if 2009 was the last publication. You might try an interlibrary loan. This website lists two library sources

http://www.worldcat.org/title/james-webb-his-journal/oclc/466083124

Hope you find a copy.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

brokenflint

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 03:32:38 AM »
Sorry for the delay in replying to the thread.  I just rolled in at the house after attending the CLA show.  Thanks to those of you who posted up photos.  James Webb was at the show, so I won't need a copy of his book  :).   I looked for an original at the show, didn't find one. A couple of the vendors had variations on the theme, but I didn't pick up either of those.  Going to do my homework and if I need to pick up a modern on I know who has them!

Again thanks all