Author Topic: Chunk Shooting in Iowa  (Read 15708 times)

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Chunk Shooting in Iowa
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 03:15:01 PM »
Candle Snuffer,
I use light 1" copper pipe for my shader and the same for the barrel clamps.
Mark
Mark

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 03:21:26 PM »
Thanks Okie.  I agree with your estimate of 80% shooter & 20% gun.  I do think a person needs to practice this chunk shooting to become good at it and to become as familiar with their chunk rifle as they can.  It's a discipline of shooting I should devote more time to.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 03:26:42 PM »
Thanks Mark, I never thought about going with the copper.  I know what I use is far from traditional as I use 1 1/4" PVC pipe spray painted with black Krylon.  I believe I'll give the one piece copper a try.

Offline b bogart

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 04:48:18 PM »
Thank you Don.

bob243

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 06:03:27 PM »
Bruce Bogart.............we have a chunk gun shoot coming up on the 10th of July in East Waterford, Pa.   You can find this
little town by looking at a Pa. map.   About mid-way between Harrisburg and State College, on Rt. 322......look for Rt. 75
which goes kind of SW, starting at Port Royal, and is about 20 miles from Rt. 322.   Roger will be there, also Art DeCamp
won last years shoot.   I'll bring a flyer along to the KRA show and leave them with Art DeCamp.   Port Royal is kind of
famous for  1/2 mile dirt track racing.   Port Royal was also the home of Jed Cooper, the gun collector of years past..........
Don

I met Mr. Singer at the Sgt. York shoot this year, and he was also telling me about this shoot.   I am hopeing to make it down as well.      I am looking at the map and see an East Rutherford, with an East Waterford cemetary slightly north of it.   Is this about where I would want to be?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 06:07:36 PM by bob243 »

bob243

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 06:06:46 PM »
I never took into consideration the light change between the two shaders.  Certainly something to address I would think.  Where did you guys get your
one piece brass tubing?

Roger, I think I recall something about a gal winning the Trammel shoot some years back with a standard weight rifle, but I have no details, nor do I even know if there's any fact to it?

Last year at our local Chunk shoot I used my Ed Rayl .40 cal x 7/8" x 36" and did
pretty good with it.  Came in 2nd and that rifle is only 8.25 pounds.  Two piece shader is what I used.

I picked mine up from MSC Industiral Supply.   This was before the price of brass when nuts. 

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 10:16:45 PM »
It lays about 15 or so miles west of Port Royal which in turn lays on the Juniata River.   Can't tell you exact miles, since I just turn at a dead pine tree.

Try it you'll like it.  And you won't go away hungry.  I've been after Singer to cover at least some of the range and have another chunk shoot in fall.  All he says is Sure and you probably want elephants and dancing girls also!!!.  I sez, $#*! forget the elephants. ;D   Old guys sometimes need something to keep their (spirits) up :D ;)  ::)

bob243

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 10:41:11 PM »
Should be able to find it,   What is the start time and when does everyone usually show up?  I am near Wilkes-Barre,  I am deciding if I should stay in Mifflintown or just make the drive in the AM.  ???
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 10:42:08 PM by bob243 »

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2010, 01:03:02 AM »
Bob........If I were you, I would drive down the evening before the shoot.   The guys will probably start practicing on the
range about 8:30, with the shoot starting about 10 am.    If you are coming down from Wilkes Barre, there are several
ways you can come, however, give this some thought.   While this may appear to be farther, I think you would make better time by coming down Rt. 81, all the way to Harrisburg, then take Rt. 322 North to the Port Royal Exit, Rt. 75 west.
I know if you look at the map this will appear to be longer, and it probably is, but you will be traveling on four lane roads
all the way to Port Royal.  One more thing about the shoot........a great feast after the shoot.  Singer always roasts a pig
and has all the fixin's to go with it, no one goes away hungry.   Great prizes too.............Don

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2010, 01:54:26 AM »
Bruce,
Our local club, Ohio Valley Muzzleloading Gun Club, will be holding an informal chunk shoot on June 26th at our Centerburg range. Hunting and offhand rifles only at this one since a lot of the fellows don't have chunk guns, but it is fun. We'll have several of the top 5 York shooters there. I have several chunk guns here ranging from 15# to well over 40#. Even have one flinter that is on the market.
Mark
Mark

Offline b bogart

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2010, 02:17:12 AM »
I may not be able to get things together by then but I will try! Thanks for the heads up Mark!!

Oh and so we don't veer too far from the thread, I used to live in IOwa. ;D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 02:18:10 AM by Bruce Bogart »

bob243

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 08:57:41 AM »
Thanks Don,  I was thinking that would be the best route as well..