Author Topic: Chunk Shooting in Iowa  (Read 15712 times)

Offline okieboy

Chunk Shooting in Iowa
« on: June 07, 2010, 04:16:57 AM »

Here is a picture of me shooting with the Iowa Black Powder Federation on June 6th. These are great people and it is a beatiful place to shoot. I shot poorly this day, but still had a great time. After the regular shooting they have a one shot match for a dollar with the winner getting a pie, Boston cream pie this time. Lots of fun!
Okieboy
Okieboy

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Chunk Shooting in Iowa
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 06:29:42 PM »
Well now Okie, any photos of the spotters used and the different chunks and of course the best string measure assuming 10 1 shot matches ??? 

Nosey minds need to know. ;D

Online RonT

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 06:47:38 PM »
Yes, also would like to see the various "chunk" designs.  I see the one to the left of the shooter has a cradle...do all (most?) ranges permit this?
R
Spes Mea in Deo Est

northwoodsdave

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 07:04:46 PM »
Don't know about most ranges, but these are called "over-the-log chunk guns" for a reason!  Them barrels are heavy!

Dave

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 07:13:16 PM »
Ron,
Most ranges I have shot at do not allow the rifle to be held in a "cradle" type rest. The barrel must not be locked down but be able to move forward and back as well as side to side while on the chunk.
Mark
Mark

Online RonT

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 08:32:24 PM »
Thanks Mark.  Thought that I saw something to that effect on the York webpage as not allowed there...may have been mistaken...
I will most likely build one but wish to see others efforts.
R
Spes Mea in Deo Est

Offline b bogart

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 09:07:02 PM »
But a "cant bar" can be used if part of the gun???? Am I wrong?

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 09:16:57 PM »
But a "cant bar" can be used if part of the gun???? Am I wrong?
Cant bars are pretty much a 'given' to my understanding.  Most clubs allow sand bags under the forearm but not the toe, various rules apply club to club to shoot to shoot....be prepared and stay loose except when sighting on the target. ;D

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 11:24:29 PM »
Bruce,
As Roger said, "cant bars are a part of most rifles" some fellows, and gals, don't use them but they are at a very distinct disadvantage. I can't post pictures but can send some if you like, or can print them for me.
Mark
Mark

Offline b bogart

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 03:53:02 AM »
That would be nice if you'd send me some Mark. I have been thinking of trying my habd at it. Are there any matches in our area???

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 04:28:14 AM »
Bruce,
I will get some pics out to you in the next day or two. I am not familiar with what may be taking place in your area but will try to find out.
Mark
Mark

Offline okieboy

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 04:51:55 AM »

Here are some more pics. Rules vary from the basic ones shoot by shoot and that is part of the charm of chunk shooting.
 I want to say that you can start chunk shooting with any muzzle loader you've got; my current gun is a 7/8x42" 45caliber.
 I would like to have a chunk shoot in central Minnesota, anyone interested is welcome to contact me.
Okieboy
Okieboy

Offline b bogart

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 05:41:27 AM »
Looks like a good time okie!!

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 03:11:23 PM »
Okie,

What's your thoughts on your 7/8"x42" barreled chunk gun?  

I built a 1 1/8" x 42" half stock cap-lock chunk gun years ago and have never really been that happy with it (performance wise), though I don't shoot it enough if the truth be known.  (Really need to work up a good load for this rifle).

I have often thought about using my Dickert 7/8"x42" barreled flintlock in its place at our local annual chunk shoot as this is a rifle I shoot much more.

Do you find the weight acceptable with the 7/8x42" barreled rifle?  Appreciate your thoughts on this.  

Online RonT

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 04:23:18 PM »
Aaaahaaa!  Thanks for the pics.  Next step for me is a trip to Carter Lumber for a treated 2 x 12.
Spes Mea in Deo Est

bob243

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 05:35:59 PM »

Here is a cant bar built into my stock. 

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 05:59:12 PM »
Okie,

What's your thoughts on your 7/8"x42" barreled chunk gun?  

I built a 1 1/8" x 42" half stock cap-lock chunk gun years ago and have never really been that happy with it (performance wise), though I don't shoot it enough if the truth be known.  (Really need to work up a good load for this rifle).

I have often thought about using my Dickert 7/8"x42" barreled flintlock in its place at our local annual chunk shoot as this is a rifle I shoot much more.

Do you find the weight acceptable with the 7/8x42" barreled rifle?  Appreciate your thoughts on this.  
The chunk shooters I know gravitate to a heavy barreled rifle, although it is not unknown for a light rifle to win.  Never shot there due to distance; but I do recall a young lady winning Trammel's log shoot around 5 or some such years ago.  If she beat them since with her offhand rifle I have no idea.  (Maybe they never left her come back ::)

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 06:03:42 PM »

Now Bob ol boy you opened another question regards that tube sight of which I happen to have one.   Have you noticed a better sight picture with the long tube (contrast) compared with 4 or 5 inch short shaders one over each sight?? We need to know or read nosey! :D

bob243

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 09:14:37 PM »

Now Bob ol boy you opened another question regards that tube sight of which I happen to have one.   Have you noticed a better sight picture with the long tube (contrast) compared with 4 or 5 inch short shaders one over each sight?? We need to know or read nosey! :D

I've never tried the two short pieces, I cannot do a fair comparison on the sight picture.   I picked a long brass tube for a little extra weight.       

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 10:39:38 PM »
Roger,
That is not a "tube" sight, it is a shader. Absolutley no optics are allowed to be used. The sights are open with shaders, either one piece or two, allowed. You would be surprised at how much clearer a sight picture you can get using a shader. Most of them are  "U" shaped over the top of the barrel, whether one or two piece. The one I use is one piece that is a complete tube. It is almost like looking through the aperture of a camera.
Mark
Mark

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 01:56:54 AM »
Roger,
That is not a "tube" sight, it is a shader. Absolutley no optics are allowed to be used. The sights are open with shaders, either one piece or two, allowed. You would be surprised at how much clearer a sight picture you can get using a shader. Most of them are  "U" shaped over the top of the barrel, whether one or two piece. The one I use is one piece that is a complete tube. It is almost like looking through the aperture of a camera.
Mark
Yup, I knew that, using wrong term maybe for a full length "tube" shader.
I have both and used both.  Stood the full length tube shader in a corner since it was a pain to on and off and was a problem getting in to my rifle case.  So, yes I've been down that road once or twice.  Am still wondering if the full length gives any better contrast than 2 shorties ???  I do doubt it. Thanks for responding. :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 04:49:06 PM by Roger Fisher »

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 03:02:53 AM »
Roger,
There are a lot of believers in both, 2 piece and 1 piece. For me I find it distracting haveing the light level change between the shaders as opposed to haveing a constant light level in the 1 piece. I guess it is as much what you get used to as it is whether one is better than the other. I've been beat by both!
Mark
Mark

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 03:46:04 AM »
I never took into consideration the light change between the two shaders.  Certainly something to address I would think.  Where did you guys get your
one piece brass tubing?

Roger, I think I recall something about a gal winning the Trammel shoot some years back with a standard weight rifle, but I have no details, nor do I even know if there's any fact to it?

Last year at our local Chunk shoot I used my Ed Rayl .40 cal x 7/8" x 36" and did
pretty good with it.  Came in 2nd and that rifle is only 8.25 pounds.  Two piece shader is what I used.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 03:48:25 AM »
Bruce Bogart.............we have a chunk gun shoot coming up on the 10th of July in East Waterford, Pa.   You can find this
little town by looking at a Pa. map.   About mid-way between Harrisburg and State College, on Rt. 322......look for Rt. 75
which goes kind of SW, starting at Port Royal, and is about 20 miles from Rt. 322.   Roger will be there, also Art DeCamp
won last years shoot.   I'll bring a flyer along to the KRA show and leave them with Art DeCamp.   Port Royal is kind of
famous for  1/2 mile dirt track racing.   Port Royal was also the home of Jed Cooper, the gun collector of years past..........
Don

Offline okieboy

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 06:10:32 AM »
Candle Snuffer,
 I wrote a long complicated response to your Question, pressed post and watched it disappear into cyberspace. So I'll write concise this time. I think a 7/8x 42" is fine. I think each shooter has to find what works best for him, irregardless of what works for others. I also believe that the gun is about 20% of shooting and the shooter about 80%. I think that my gun was perfectly capable of winning last weekend, but the shooter was doing something wrong.
 I am going to build to build a couple of longer guns (.45x1x48 and .45x1-1/4x48) because I really enjoy building guns, but I think honing my shooting techniques is more important towards winning a match.
 Okieboy
Okieboy