Author Topic: Sterling silver for inlays  (Read 12394 times)

Offline Captchee

Re: Sterling silver for inlays
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 05:42:30 PM »
  Myself I cant r really see a difference in coin silver and sterling

most any of the jeweler supply retailers  carry sterling in plate form .
Santa Fe  lists a 1x6 x 10 gage at  just under 34.oo

But it should also be noted that all sterling silver is not the same
 Traditional sterling is silver and copper . But a whole lot of  todays sterling is Argentium sterling
 Which is a mix of silver ,copper and metalloid germanium
 Both can be re melted . But you need  to be able to melt at around 1650 deg  for traditional sterling ,in order to reach fluid temp Argentium a little less
 Is there a noticeable difference between the to ?
 That depends on what your doing with it . But for inlays and such . Myself I don’t see any real differences

Inlays don’t really need to be overly thick unless  they are  part of some  functional item
  For just  decorations 14 gage is thick enough .
 For   items that get a lot of use  or I need to be able to  shape and relieve then I use  10 gage .
Castings are normally way thicker then   use requires .
  Mostly their thickness is dictated by the casting process  though

Offline James

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 06:28:54 AM »
Bama posted a link for Surepure metals as they sell coin silver sheet. I'm confused (some would say "what's new about that") because they have 4"X4" .17 gauge for $197 and  .20 gauge 4"X4" for $230. Why is the thicker material cheaper?
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 08:32:40 PM »
Jim I'm with you, I can't tell the difference in color. There is so little difference in Silver content between old silver coin and the sterling sheet that can be bought today that I don't believe the difference can be see with the naked eye. I have used old coins and sterling sheet on the same rifle and could not tell the difference after finishing.

Anyway, I get sterling sheet from Rio Grande. These are good folks to deal with and they have some pretty niffty tools that can be used for gun making. You do have to set up an account with them though but that is no big deal.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Glenn

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 02:02:39 AM »
You can try Thunderbird supply.  They been compettitive in their pricing in the past.  Always seems to be based on the market value.

Here's a link:  http://www.thunderbirdsupply.com

I hope this is of some help.  :)
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.