Author Topic: Pics from Saturday at Dixon's  (Read 14426 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Pics from Saturday at Dixon's
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 04:14:00 AM »
My experience of the weekend was beyond expectation. Many wonderful things came together, which I am still processing. The best of all was to get together again, and see everyone, even Ian Pratt. Even Roger Fisher. What a pleasure.

Thursday afternoon, I stopped by at the WestPoint Military Museum. They have some fabulous historical guns. Militia guns. Muskets, captured arms, issued arms from all the different wars. Unbelievable stuff.

I got pretty good marks on my little Lehigh, and also got good suggestions for improvements for the next time. This was worth the trip just for that.

Long John invited me to stay at his place Thurs nite. He said he had a pool. I even packed my shorts. The plan was to hit the road early Fri, be at DIxon's by 7:30.

The weather on Thursday was 95 degrees, and 90% humidity, so by the time I left West Point, and had driven thru the sticky hot fug, I was looking forward to the swim.

I had the idea I could just submerge myself in cool water, and all the heat and stress of the day would just evaporate.

Did you ever have a friend that you don't speak to anymore?

Anyway, as I said, I was looking forward to the swim.......

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 04:14:51 AM »
I still like John very much, but let me say, I am wary now.  ;D

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2012, 04:15:56 AM »
He's pictured with the ALR mascot, Ollie, and across John's knee is his first rifle. It has beautiful wood.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2012, 04:26:05 AM »
Here's that last decline approaching....anyone homesick yet?

going down the hill and around the bend......

Here's Barbie Chambers and Teddy Martin. I think Barbie is having more fun than Ted. Wait, maybe Ted is having more fun than Barbie!

Long John shows how to sharpen a scraper.... again....and again.......

A future gun builder on my bench, trying his hand at relief carving. I am relieved he did not stab himself!

My neighbor Dave Sharp, who wanted me to show him how to incise carve. I told him to draw the curve he wanted to cut, then I put the chisel in his hand, and away he went. He must have worked at this for half an hour. I think he may be addicted.

And then, the prerequisite downpour.....Sunday afternoon, which sent the show packing....
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 04:26:44 AM by Acer Saccharum »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2012, 02:48:59 PM »
The weather on Thursday was 95 degrees, and 90% humidity, so by the time I left West Point, and had driven thru the sticky hot fug, I was looking forward to the swim.

I had the idea I could just submerge myself in cool water, and all the heat and stress of the day would just evaporate.

Did you ever have a friend that you don't speak to anymore?

Anyway, as I said, I was looking forward to the swim.......
Well don't keep us in suspense, who went first you or the dog ;D
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Michael

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2012, 04:25:06 PM »
I was there only on Saturday. The boss was doing genealogical research on Friday so we were in Sunbury,Pa all day. Thanks to those that attended my trade gun seminar. I had a complete suprise Friday evening when we arrived at the hotel. I was given a hand forged wrought iron rifle barrel blank!! This is something I worked out with a friend in exchange to bore, ream and rifle his barrel blank when he gets it finished. Looks like a winter project!!

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2012, 11:37:46 PM »
I was there on Friday for four or five hours.  Great seeing guys I haven't seen in three years.  My 12-year old son accompanied me and took home a pipe tomahawk head and haft for his first real project other than leatherwork.  I think he will be back.

Larry Luck

Offline cmac

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2012, 12:11:32 AM »
I was there Saturday. My first time there, been wanting to go for years now. I was not let down. A great fair. Picked up parts for another build, got to see all the great builds, talk with folks, etc.... One day was not enough

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2012, 12:14:52 AM »
Three days was not enough...and too much, all at the same time. I still feel like the moth who spent the night at the porch light.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:15:09 AM by Acer Saccharum »

Offline Telgan

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2012, 12:26:43 AM »
I have to say that it never seems like enough time at Dixons. Really great to get fully engrossed with the rest of the tribe - and to let down what little hair I have left up top. Enjoyed visiting with ya Tom.

Offline mountainman

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2012, 03:06:21 AM »
anyone know who the guy was, that won the best of show, in the competition of rifles?

Online tpr-tru

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2012, 04:08:09 AM »
  I witnessed a new product discovery on Sunday morning.  In the future after all the details are worked out our own
Tom (Acer) will be marketing glue on stock carvings.  This is something he discovered when preparing for carving demos.  He even passed out a few samples. 

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2012, 04:33:53 AM »
Cat's out of the bag. Serves me right for not being able to keep my mouth shut. $#@*! Before the product has been given the test of time! If the 'Peel 'n Stick Carving' makes it thru the seasonal changes without coming off, then it's a winning product. Maple color, stain and finish! Order yours today in Lancaster, Reading, Berks or Virginia.