Author Topic: friendship in june  (Read 12784 times)

Online Bob Roller

Re: friendship in june
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 04:41:53 AM »
It ain't what it used to be that's for sure.Declining membership,high fuel costs
and a weak,uncertain economy do not bode well for any hobby groups unless
they are those who can spend millions on a major classic car.
Bob Roller

Dogshirt

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 05:38:10 AM »
I was there on Friday with a friend but most of the vendors were not there or just
getting set up when we left.That flea market came into being in 1969 and presnted problems
with thieves coming to the range and I recall one big van load of ladies of the evening coming
from Cincinatti to ply their "trades".The Indiana State Police arrested some of them and their customers
so that was taken care of.
The NMLRA has lost a huge number of members for whatever reasons and according to Muzzle Blasts
there are now fewer than 16,000 members and few new ones signing up.I saw a lot of Geezers like me,
old !@#$% in their seventies and beyond.

Bob Roller

The first thing that comes to my mind is treating the entire west as a redheaded stepchild! They don't seem to grasp that this country goes coast to coast. That and the magazine has nothing to offer us out west. Just what do WE out west get for our money? Nothing as far as I, and many others can see.

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 06:42:23 AM »
I don't expect the magazine to include much of us out west. Look at the state membership numbers. I would focus on those area also. We have a short history out here simply the Fur Trade era. Shortly after that the breech loader came west. Everyone I have dealt with at the NMLRA have treated me great. That includes all those I deal with here and the cottage vendors. I will make it to Friendship as soon as I retire. I'll also not miss another Dixon's Gun Fair. Bob

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 02:53:53 PM »
Has this lack of interest in the Western part of the country been brought forth
to anyone who might be able to do something. I heard at one time that the
buckskinners got mad about something and quit the NMLRA enmasse. Does
anyone know what really happened. I can remember when the primitive camps
were loaded and I remember some of the best meals I ever ate were on that
side of the creekThe NMLRA must be remade into an atrractive idea for the younger shooters
because they ARE the future of ANY organization. I have heard more than once that the only
thing "National" about the NMLRA was the Muzzle Blasts magazine so maybe if more westerners
would be willing to submit articles that would get it out of the 18th century and into the 19th
which was the first focus of E.M.Farris,Bill Large,C.R.Ramsey and the others that ponied up 50 cwnts each in 1933
and got the whole thing going.

Bob Roller

Offline b bogart

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 04:27:20 PM »
I attended Saturday. Was it perfect? Nope! But it is a gathering of like minded individuals. And most had the same color hair as mine (gray). But I did spend some time watching a couple young men (late teens) shoot at the offhand range which was great. As far as vendors, I heard what booths cost and am not suprised that more don't set up there anymore (I remember when they were full). Seems if they were to make the price less to rent space more would try to ply thier treasures or wares. The thinking of charging more for space because there is less vendors seems counterproductive but there are things going on that I am not aware of behind the sences.
 I probably should just be quiet about this issue.

Iloco, these gatherings were originated as the Spring and Fall SHOOTS.   They evolved into a shopping venue. I enjoy  the shopping aspect, because I can always find something I need.I go more to see the craftmanship and to replenish any supplies I may be low on, and to talk with old and new friends.

As far as western

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2013, 04:36:38 PM »
Bob...........I first went to Friendship in 1977, the year we got into the barrel business.  I did it twice each year for a week at
time, spring and fall shoots.   Did a lot of business there, but the greatest things I got out of these shoots was the number of
friends I made, many of them are now gone.  The drop in membership kind of follows the tremd of many organizations.  Even
our Masonic Lodge keeps keeps going down.  If I was still shooting, it would be a fun place to go for a week, if you had a good
campsite.  Like you Bob, I sure had a lot of fun doing it...............Don

Offline bgf

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 05:52:55 PM »
I got back yesterday after camping Friday and Saturday night.  I attempted to shoot chunk and had a good time on the woodswalk on Saturday.  I've gone to F'ship for several years, but never camped or shot.  I found it was much more fun camping and shooting, even though I should have camped another night or two, so that I was in better shape to do more matches and/or be better at the ones I did -- it takes some time to adjust to sleeping on a rock, even with an air matress :).  The campsites seemed pretty full on Saturday.

The elephant in the room is the demographic, but I actually saw some signs of hope.  Yes, the average age is high, but there were several young families with two or three kids each in the campsites around us and the woodswalk seemed to attract a little younger crowd (which makes some sense).  The shooting lines seemed a bit sparse compared to what I've observed in the past, but it could just be the schedule I was on.  My observation firsthand and from talking to other people in the "less than 65" group is that you need to know/go with someone older several times to get full benefit of friendliness from many participants and most vendors (they are the worst for it, with several notable exceptions) -- my impression is that everyone under 60 is treated like a criminal until proven innocent or vouched for; maybe they do spend money on feeding and clothing their children rather than at your booth; if you treat them as cheap or shifty, they won't be back when they have money and time for what you are selling.  My suggestion for that is for everyone to take a little time to guide the "youngsters" and try to make them feel welcome, not to treat them like they are breaking into some kind of exclusive club and soiling the carpet...  Risky, yes, but I know that if I had not had the guidance of several F'ship experts, I likely wouldn't have even considered going back a second time.  It simply isn't worth the hassle to go and buy stuff you can (for the most part) find on the internet, it needs to be an experience and learning opportunity, esp. for those of us with the most to learn... 

PS. Totally unrelated.  L&R has gone to forged springs on new production and the locks they had in their booth are looking a lot better than a few years ago -- seems like they are addressing past issues in an honest manner.

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 07:30:48 PM »
Yea,verily,bgf speaks the truth and speaks it well.
The comment about L&R is a truthful one as well.
They are trying their best within the limits of whatever
foundries they deal with to upgrade their products.
Also,sometime ago I ordered some parts from them,sent a check and that was that or so I thought.
Bill Cox sent me a $14 refund check about 3 months later and I called and asked him what was that for.
He said he was going over his paper work and found he had made a math error on my order and the check
was a refund.They are trying to address past problems and I for one wish them every success in this endeavour.
I use their external parts for the Ashmore,Manton and Egg locks and the quality of the parts I get is excellent
and I don't hesitate to tell anyone what I use. Bill Cox and I have a good arrangement,mutually beneficial and
I hope to use it for a long time.

Bob Roller

Slow2Load

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 09:29:48 PM »
I used to go years ago when I was younger and had more time. Its been about 30 years since I've been. My youngest daughter has a fancy for gun and bow shooting. I told her last winter that we should run down during the spring shoot because she would get a kick out of it. So we're going Wednesday.

From my recollection, there also used to be primitives/reinactors across the road from the range behind the parking lot. Is this still there? I remember seeing tipis set up back there. Is this area open to the public or do you have to bee NMLRA members to get in?

Online T*O*F

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2013, 10:19:54 PM »
If you're not a member, you will have to pay a daily admission fee.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2013, 05:55:37 AM »
BJF is spot on about needing someone one whos been there done that! I went alone 3 years ago...
Never got that warm fuzzy feeling while there...No problem with vendors it was more the shooting end of things.
Glad I went once but never again!...I'll save my nickels for the cla show in Lexington.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 08:23:39 PM »
Has this lack of interest in the Western part of the country been brought forth
to anyone who might be able to do something. I heard at one time that the
buckskinners got mad about something and quit the NMLRA enmasse. Does
anyone know what really happened. I can remember when the primitive camps
were loaded and I remember some of the best meals I ever ate were on that
side of the creekThe NMLRA must be remade into an atrractive idea for the younger shooters
because they ARE the future of ANY organization. I have heard more than once that the only
thing "National" about the NMLRA was the Muzzle Blasts magazine so maybe if more westerners
would be willing to submit articles that would get it out of the 18th century and into the 19th
which was the first focus of E.M.Farris,Bill Large,C.R.Ramsey and the others that ponied up 50 cwnts each in 1933
and got the whole thing going.

Bob Roller

I always thought or heard it was the in-lines that wanted a part of the NMLRA and the traditionalist wanted to keep them out. 

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2013, 08:57:15 PM »
I don't know about any "Modernist/Traditionalist conflict but I remember
one former NMLRA president saying that "If it loads from the muzzle,we represent it".
We need ALL the help we can get.I'm a traditionalist but won't condemn a newby on
his/her choice of guns.

Bob Roller

nosrettap1958

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2013, 09:48:03 PM »
I thought that a state out west was in an argument over their ‘muzzleloading' season.  The in-lines wanted in but some traditionalists were saying that it was a ‘Primitive’ muzzleloading season and in-lines weren’t welcome.  Idaho maybe?  I remember one game official saying that the animal “still lives in the stone-age and has little chance of getting out of it” and voted overwhelmingly to keep the in-lines out of the season. I think that the NMLRA took the in-lines side in this argument @#$$%&* some traditionalist off over their stance.