Author Topic: Chambers English Fowler  (Read 21236 times)

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: Chambers English Fowler
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2015, 10:26:31 PM »
 That's pretty good Mike but not all of the Engravers looked the same. None of the English Gun makers did their own engraving and some of them were very shabby at it. The one thing I noticed that seems to be fairly common is they were mostly all small. The ones on the gun of Tallbear are much better than average.  Actually if they are perfect they look too good for an original. Nick and dot is not easy to learn for most guys.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2015, 10:32:37 PM »
I dont know english from chinese but I know when a gun catches my eye and this one has got the LOOK. OUTSTANDING WORK. Whomever Mitch built this for should be a very happy camper ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2015, 11:31:11 PM »
Bill 52

The barrel treatment is as follows,first I polish to 320 and the coat with Wahkon Bays browning solution twice a day for four days without carding in between.I keep the barrel in my damp box which is just a box with a damp car wash sponge in the corner.after four days I clean off all the rust with a scotchbrite pad ,apply cold blue and rub that back with a scotch brite pad.

The lock was polished to 1200 mostly with stones and wet/dry sand paper backed with files.I then coat with cold blue and iodine and let sit overnight.Then I rub that back with scotchbright.

Jerry
Thanks for chiming in again especially about the lettering.It's the part that scared me the most and other than the spacing on the S I was pretty pleased.You are correct about my limited library in regards to English works but that will change over time.

Just to further the disscusion I posted below the inspiration for the floral designs .It is a compilation of a couple different guns from different periods which may have been a mistake.The first pic is from a gun in Williamsburg,the last three pics are from a gun [posted here a while back.

Thanks again!!!

Mitch Yates

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2015, 12:14:18 AM »
Mitch,
I think the pics of the originals speak for themselves in authenticating your overal engraving design plan.
Also as far as hook breeches are concerned on fuzees (I would classify this as a fuzee and not a fowling piece even though not fitted for a bayo but having a sling swivel)....... A lot of these round barreled fuzees which in many ways mimic the fowling pieces of the same area did have standard breeching like yours. A few (3 I think) can be seen in Jim Mullins' "Of Sorts for Provincials"
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 12:35:32 AM by James Rogers »

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2015, 07:22:16 AM »
 Tallbear
 Are those photos of a trade gun? That's pretty crude stuff. Some of the early English fowlers were pretty crude unless made for royalty.  Maybe I'm just used to looking at the royal stuff too long. You can find some good stuff in the W. Keith Neal books or auction catalogs. What's with the sling attachment on the trigger guard.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:01:24 PM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2015, 09:16:37 PM »
Not the highest grade English work, but certainly not the lowest.  This is huge amount better than some of the cheaper trade guns.  I personally find the designs quite appealing.  Their form and balance is very nice in my view.  From what I can see, the execution is pretty competent as well.  

Nice work Mitch.  I like your engraving.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:18:05 PM by Jim Kibler »