Author Topic: Bucks Co. influenced rifle  (Read 16687 times)

Offline Bill Ladd

Re: Bucks Co. influenced rifle
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 10:06:26 PM »
Let's try this:

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2015, 10:47:40 PM »
Wow !! That's beautiful.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 01:54:56 AM »
Hugh, I for one am glad you took the doctors advice and got back in the saddle. Very beautiful rifle, you work has always amazed me . It is so crisp and neat and classy, with the best finnishes that I honestly know of. Your just getting started. Exquisite.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2015, 02:22:45 AM »
That is gorgeous work for someone who HASN'T had a stroke.  Doing that after a stroke is a lesson to us all.  My compliments good sir.   Marc

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2015, 03:40:49 AM »
Great looking piece Hugh. You got great advice from the doc, and I am glad to see you've still got "it"!  By the way, send that doctor a link to this thread. I suspect it will make his day.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2015, 04:55:23 AM »
Beautiful Work Hugh,  I especially like the molding you put around the patch box. I have never quite liked how the patch boxes looked with the hinge hanging down below the finial of the lid on the northhampton school rifles. The molding helps to break up that awkward  line.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2015, 06:23:20 AM »
Once again thanks everyone for the kind words!   Some one asked "what's next"?  I already have another rifle started on the bench.  It's another Bucks Co. style but with a little more Lehigh in it and a little later period.
I will try to post a few pics. as it progresses.    Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2015, 02:52:49 PM »
Hi Hugh,
Happy to hear that you are doing well.
Mighty fine work, if I may add.
Could I trouble you for your doctor's name.
I need all the help I can find to help me in my gun building skills.
Perhaps if he works on my eyes, hands, and brain...........
I could improve.
Hope to see you at Dixion's this year.
All the very best!
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2015, 03:53:10 PM »
Inspiring background story, beautiful gun. Thanks for sharing!

sweed

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2015, 12:47:45 AM »
 :o Mr. Toenjes 
You sent me an old lock you had layin around a few months ago! I have just been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. They are gona try to zap it or kill it with chem. That is still up in th air! Your  rifle is quite an inspiration to me, that thing is beautiful! If I can just get that lock you sent me to launch a ball from something Ill be very happy. Thanks for postin, and thanks for the inspiration!
sweed

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2015, 04:39:34 AM »
Beautiful work, Hugh!  Especially considering the circumstances, you haven't missed a beat.  Love the wire work.

Ed
Ed Wenger

obsidian

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2015, 09:43:46 AM »
Nothing short of amazing!....never say never.

blackjack

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2015, 02:17:27 AM »
SDG indeed!

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2015, 05:44:23 AM »
Fantastic Job, Hugh!  Very nicely done.  I am glad you picked up that chisel again, it is truly inspiring what you achieved here.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline rjpalmer

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2015, 08:45:43 AM »
An outstanding rifle built by an inspired and determined man. What a wonderful lesson for all. I wish you much success for your next inspiring build.

kaintuck

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2015, 12:06:58 AM »
AAAA+++++ ;D

LIKE that nose piece............was  it formed from one piece?

marc n tomtom

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2015, 06:09:31 AM »
Kaintuck:  The  muzzle cap was formed out of sheet brass with a thicker muzzle end soldered on with brass solder.  You can obtain brass colored solder from Rio Grand jewelry supply house. It flows well before the melting temp of brass.   Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline FALout

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2015, 12:42:08 PM »
Hugh,  I was wondering how that shapely tang of the entry thimble stays in place?  Is there a hook soldered underneath, I don't see any pins?
Bob

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2015, 02:46:58 PM »
That's a beautiful rifle Hugh.  What will the next build be?  Sounds like the MRI did it.  MRI=Magical Recovery Instrument.  I sure wish that was true.  Anyway, all of us are waiting for the next one.  Keep on going.
Curt

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2015, 06:11:26 PM »
Hugh,this is a wonderful piece of work and quite a testimony to your determination. I understand how you felt and the desire to return to your work. In 2012 I woke unable to use my right arm ,while telling my wife that I thought I had had a stroke I lost my ability to speak.I regained my speech and use of my arm by the time the got me to MUSC. Tests showed I was 95 percent blocked in the left carotid artery and had had three strokes This caught everyone by surprise,since my cholesterol numbers were always great. Each year when I had my bloodworm done at work,they said they had never seen anyone my age with these readings that was not on medication.Obviously,these numbers are not all telling. They did surgery,said I could return to work in 28 days and I did. Worked 3 eve. shifts, came home, bathed and went to bed. Woke up around 3:00 am, no use of left hand and arm and dragging left leg. Tests had only shown 60 percent blockage on that side and they don't usually doe surgery if not more than this.This is the side that got me.Tests showed two more strokes.I was in therapy twice a week for eight months before being allowed to return to work. I was fortunate to have the support of a loving wife and family through all of this. Hugh, I know that you and I have been Truely blessed to be able to continue to do this work.To all of the members of this site,during my recovery I found this site. I backed up and everything I could. Did not know how to get in the archives. Ya'll helped keep that fire burning. Looking forward to your next build, Hugh.Thanks to all of you.                    Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2015, 01:30:51 AM »
Hi Hugh,
Please make it a practice to post your work on this site.  You can make a very valuable contribution.

Your friend,

dave
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 01:31:24 AM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Billy52

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2015, 04:59:02 AM »
I am truly in awe of your craftmanship and inspired.  Great job.

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2015, 05:31:33 AM »
FALout:  Thanks for asking about the entry thimble tang - it is held in place by the cross pin that holds the thimble and two brass screws, one on each side of the widest part of the tang, then the heads are filed off so the brass amalgamates with the brass of the tang.   Hope that makes sense,    Hugh Toenjes
H.T.