Author Topic: Flint Shotgun  (Read 13478 times)

northmn

Re: Flint Shotgun
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 03:23:56 PM »
Roundball, load some BP cartridges and hunt with the Colt.  That is one of my past times and I enjoy it very much. I now use a very tight stevens 16 gauge but have used a couple of old 12's.  One I had to reglue and fill in cracks on the stock.  It was tightened with a hammer at the lock up point.  It is the same as shooting a percussion double only you can unload and clean easier at the end of the day.  Shot a lot of ruffed grouse with these guns.  One would just about cover a car door at 25 yards. To load BP cartridges all you really need to buy is a roll crimper and a few wads. You can make the decapper and primer seater.
As to using modern barrels for the flinter, it is a matter of determining whether you want to build a iron mountain Southern rifle or a Golden age engraved and carved flinter.  I would suggest that for a first try you might be better off building with a modern style set of barrels as it takes a couple to learn how to do it.  As to the chamber flare that is very true on modern barrels but I have a Stevens 311 taht does not have one.  Also Taylor S made a good point about gauge.  For quick use in the field, on pheasants for instance, unless you have large hands, a smaller gauge like a 16 is nicer to reach across for cocking.  A 14 gauge makes a lot of sense in this type of gun as it has about as much hit as a 12 and is more compact.  They used to make a 14 gauge cartridge for this reason and us die hard 16 users do so for the same reasons.

DP

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 05:42:24 PM »
I use paper, plastic and brass, they all work fine.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

doug

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 08:03:15 PM »
..tumblers have no half cock notches, full cock only..

I am guessing they have no half cock notches because they are rebounding locks which means than the hammer has to over ride the spring tension to strike the pins then rebounds back so that the pins do not drag when you open the gun.

cheers Doug

northmn

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2009, 04:33:24 AM »
If you have a loading machine use star crimps.  Federal plastic cases have worked fine for me.  I picked up piles of these from a local shooting club that has a trap and sporting clays range.  They throw away garbage cans full of cheap Federals, Remingtons and Fiochi.  They are good for about one or two reloads.  A good load for the old shotgun would be about 85 grains of 2f and card wads to fill the case for the same measure of shot.  These threads tend to get off track once in a while as now, but sometimes the questions they raise are also interesting.  I still hate to see an old BPC shotgun broke down or modified for another use as I have restored one "wall hanger" for use and enjoyed it.  I plan on making a flintlock double also and have been looking for a deal on regular barrels.  May even go with a set of 20 gauge as my hands are smaller, although a 12 would be better on roosters or Mallards with a good non lead sub.  Getting a ruffed grouse with a flinter, on the fly, would be either great skill or pure dumb luck.

DP
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 04:34:49 AM by northmn »

Offline t.caster

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2009, 01:54:25 AM »
This thread sure got off course talking about cartridges & modern stuff!

Hasn't anyone heard of Ray Fortenberry out of Napa, Ca???
Used to make dbl. flintlock shotgun barrels & parts. Is he still active?
Tom C.

Dave K

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2009, 02:10:30 AM »
Don't know about him. I did talk to Chuck Lindsey a month ago or so. He is still making 12 and 20ga. barrels, triggers, trigger guard, standing breeches, butt plates and R.R. entry. The barrels can be had "plain" or with an etched damascus finish which looks pretty darn good. I would personally go with the etched damascus finish myself, if I couldn't get the real deal.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2009, 03:13:05 AM »
Suggest you take this question over to DoubleGunshop.com where the experience with damascus barreled doubles, market values, preservation and restoration, proper loads for these guns is all available.  It is a quality board as qualified in that area as this board is in muzzleloaders.