Author Topic: Herman Rupp for Brian  (Read 4932 times)

Offline guido

Re: Herman Rupp for Brian
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2020, 02:25:34 PM »
incredible craftsmanship ! ultra fine work!

Offline alacran

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2020, 02:52:10 PM »
That is truly masterfull work. Even more impressive considering this was one of three rifles you built in a year. Some might take three years to build a rifle with such fine details, and not come close.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2020, 07:05:57 PM »
Alacran:  your comment gave me pause for thought.  This was my fifth Lehigh styled rifle and its serial number is 114.  With this many rifles under one's belt as it twere, one gains a confidence so that there isn't so much time spent pondering and more time paring away wood.  Along that vein, I bandsaw the wood right to the profile line - I don't leave much extra wood 'in case'...1/32" max.  Building a rifle to to point of being able to shoot it takes "X" amount of time.  But finishing it...engraving, inlays, carving, scraping and sanding etc. takes at least "2X" or twice as long as the actual build.  But it's nice to build a rifle like this without having some time constraints - I was able to lavish as much time as I needed to finish each of the elements that make the whole.  Also, although Brian had an idea of what he wanted, he left it entirely up to me as to how far to take it.  The engraving is an example.  those who have followed some of my builds know how much I like to lavish a piece with engraving, and this one could have easily followed suite.  But I chose to follow Herman's lead and gave the rifle a more historically accurate treatment.  In retrospect, I believe that was a wise choice.
I'm pleased that you all are enjoying this rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2020, 08:18:46 PM »
Exceptionally nice. Several details I like: the wriggle engraving on the star. I don't think we use that enough, the old timers used it quite a bit. I like the copper nails. I also am very impressed with your file work on your pipes, very nice, that sort of thing is not easy. Your wire work is very well done. I'm wondering how much drop you have at your comb and heel? I find these are hard to fit properly...I made one that fit well but now I don't know what I did with the pattern! ::)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

• Member 3
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2020, 11:28:45 PM »
I'll give it a measure Mike, and post the data.  thanks for the endorsement.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Daryl

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2020, 08:47:14 AM »
In shooting this rifle, not a single BARK on the cheek bone, Mike.  That design can be difficult (I am told) with a LeHigh.
Taylor has no trouble in the regard.
It could also be we don't crawl the stocks like some folds are "want" to do.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

• Member 3
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2020, 07:15:53 PM »
Mike:  some dimensions...Drop @ heel - 3 1/2",  drop @ comb/wrist transition - 1 1/2", lop 13 15/16"  Sights are very low, yet no cheek slap, shooting from the bench.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2020, 08:27:01 PM »
Mike:  some dimensions...Drop @ heel - 3 1/2",  drop @ comb/wrist transition - 1 1/2", lop 13 15/16"  Sights are very low, yet no cheek slap, shooting from the bench.
The 1 1/2 measurement is the important one. Anything less and you get cheek slap. But, when drawing out the pattern it's hard to get 1 1/2" and have the gun look right. You on the other hand made it work.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

R.D.Metcalf

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2020, 01:44:14 AM »
That is a spectacular piece  8)