Author Topic: I hated to do it. Time for a new approach/ NEW PICS ADDED  (Read 29583 times)

LURCHWV@BJS

Re: I hated to do it. Time for a new approach/ NEW PICS ADDED
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2010, 03:22:26 AM »
I honestly don't know how to thank everyone for their comments some good, some bad, but each and every one wisdom.  I know I have made people angry,  That was not my intent.  I had hoped to buid a beautiful rifle the first time out of the gate. Actually I'd be happy with functional and is not mass produced.  I am going with a kit on my next build. 

I didn't know until recently one of our members offers kits.  I like the early Virgina mainly since it is what would've probably what was use in my neck of the woods.  Actually We have two that I know of.

I also have had several PM's offering help (The Silent Majority)  Thank You All   

Rich ;D

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2010, 04:29:06 AM »
Rich,

I've been on the road so much that I haven't had time to respond until now.

All these guys have your best interests at heart.  We all took our own path to learn what we did and I would bet that most of us are still learning.  A few years back I was at the Gunmaker's Fair and a bunch of us were sitting around Acer's tent critiquing my mostly finished squirrel rifle when Taylor said, " I really like your carving around the tang.  The problem is it is sitting on top of an 1/8th inch of wood that shouldn't be there."

I had labored numerous hours on that bit of carving!  I was mortified!  But when I got home and took a hard look at my "masterpiece" I had to admit he was right.   I took my Nicholson 49 and, tearfully removed both the carving and the 1/8th inch of wood.  I then re-did the carving (it went faster the second time around) and got the gun finished by the next Fair.  I got a yellow ribbon for - you guessed it_ carving.  Thanks Taylor.

On your riflegun, you have to think of a rifle as a functional scupture that has embellishments applied after the fundamental form has been designed, executed and, at last, arrived at the point where it is ready for the finishing touches.  That means, for example,  that the wrist is carved as an arcing cylinder that flows into the lock panels.  The lock panels are actually perched on top of the portion of the cylinder that flows into the forestock.  Peter Alexander's book deals with this the best, I think. 

There is a lot to learn before you build a good rifle.  My first has been mistaken for a fence-post!  I sawed the blank out of a tree!  The curve of the trunk looked about right.  But it wasn't in reality.  It took me 10 years of attending the Gunmaker's Fair and 6 entries before I got it right (and "Journey" isn't perfect - there are 20 points of deductions on that tally sheet!)

So, if I were you I would start saving up for a kit.  Look at Barbie Chamber's kits. While you are saving up keep practicing on the stock blank you have.  Eek as much useful experience out of it you can!  Also, get your hands on one of the books like Recreating the American Longrifle or the Gunsmith of Grenville County.  They are great references  I still refer to them from time to time.

Remember, most of us do this for FUN!  And as you have a question, remember, too, that you ar3e amongst friends.

Best Regards,

JMC

California Kid

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2010, 06:01:22 AM »
I think you learned a lot on your first attempt. The idea of a Chambers kit with good architecture already in place is an excellent idea. You then have an example to go by to redo your first project. Its not easy and there is a great learning curve. Take your time. Patience is the key! A lot of us have been learning for 30 or more years and the learning never ends. Some compare it to an addiction. Maybe we need to start a Longrifles anonymous group!

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2010, 06:46:43 AM »
Some compare it to an addiction. Maybe we need to start a Longrifles anonymous group!

Addiction is putting it mildly for me,  I can't quit thinking about it.  All the time.  It has become an Obsession.  All I want to do is Build.  I know what Isee in my head.  just don't know how to produce those into tangible results.

Rich

California Kid

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2010, 06:52:30 AM »
You will get there. Stick with it. You have the energy and dedication to do it. I think that obvious from all the responses you have gotten to your posts. Start with a pre- shaped stock to learn the architecture from, then you will have something to go by. Best solution if you don't have an experienced builder to help you.

Offline Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2010, 07:24:50 AM »

Here it is, and me, at 16. Proud as a peacock. I am guessing this would be 1970.

Sooooo, you know you were 16 years old but are GUESSING that it was 1970????? Perhaps your artistic prowess came at the expense of mathematical ability. ;D

Offline Rich

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2010, 07:32:31 AM »
If you're interested in learning to build and plan to continue in the future, an option is to build a pistol first. It's cheaper and is just about as complex as a rifle. Nose cap, barrel inletting, pipes, forestock shape, lockpanels, lock inlet, sights, triggers, pinning the stock to the barrel, etc are all about the same as on a rifle. My first build from scratch was a pistol using a $19 barrel, and $25 stock. Trying to get some mentoring while you do it would be great.

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2010, 09:44:43 AM »
I agree with Rich. I'm still working on my first project which is a pair of kentucky pistol built from scratch. I live in Norway and have no originals to look at or anyone here who can help.  So what I did was to practice all the steps several times before I attempted to do anything on the real stocks. (I made 4 practice stocks that I dissected on a bandsaw to check my work.) Every time I got stuck I posted questions here and got alot of good help. I would not have been able to do this project without the help from the members here.  These links show some of the steps through my project.
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=4752.msg44622#msg44622
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=7214.msg68123#msg68123
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=7631.msg72352#msg72352
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=8175.msg77358#msg77358
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=8758.msg82598#msg82598
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=9799.msg92444#msg92444

I'm about 3/4 finished with these pistols. Hope to be done by xmas. My next project will be four long barrel pistols with double settriggers. This will give me needed exprience with swamped barrels and making settriggers (and inletting, lockpanel shaping, ect). When they are finished I think I'll be ready to start on the lefthand Beck rifle I want to build from scratch. I also plan to get a lefthanded quaker stock to study. I already got the stock blank and barrel for the rifle.

Best regards
Rolfkt
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 10:21:47 AM by Rolfkt »

Offline Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2010, 04:18:21 PM »
I'm going to finish it out, shoot it, be proud of it, kill something with it then probably replace the the stock. Either way I will be learning the whole time. 

I think you're on the right track Rich. I haven't seen anything that would suggest that you can't still make a functional and safe rifle. There's alot more to learn and this stock is a good place to do it. In fact, you may want to ramp up your original plans (whatever they are) and perhaps try a bit more complex patchbox than intended and add both relief and incise carving. Still make every effort to do a pleasing layout, not just adding elements for the sake of adding elements because layout is a HUGE part of this game and often more difficult than the execution. Judging by your posts, it seems that you have more time than money to invest so this is how you can get the most from your current $80 investment. Whether you replace the stock now or a year from now, it still gets replaced. Keep asking questions and carry on. The important thing is that you understand what what's wrong and listen to these guys regarding how to improve later. It's apparent that you are very well liked here for if people didn't like you, they would just say you are doing a great job and leave it at that. Try not to fret about misunderstanding previous direction. Much of this stuff is VERY difficult to explain in the written word without having you hold an example to verify the description. Much like describing the sound running water makes to someone that's never heard it before. BTW, regarding the guy that wouldn't help for fear that you may take some of his business, that's likely a blessing since if that truly is his concern, his work likely sucks anyway. Anyone wanting to build for customers and builds GOOD rifles will have more work than he can handle and will know that it will take a newcomer a long while to get to that stage. Take Mike Brooks for example. he builds these things for a living and yet takes the time to put together a tutorial on how to do it properly and posts it for all the world to see. That's confidence.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2010, 11:18:22 PM »
Hacksaw that side panel off, glue on a slab from the forestock, re-inlet the lock, and start over again.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

robert gene

« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2010, 11:42:27 PM »
Hacksaw that side panel off, glue on a slab from the forestock, re-inlet the lock, and start over again.

And go ten times slower this time. Most mistakes happen when your in too much of a hurry. 

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2010, 02:53:39 AM »
Lurch, I think you could be the poster child for perserverence and detirmination,remember the sun comes up in the East every day and you will get better at what your trying to do. I dont think I have to tell you to never give up.  Take a break and do some study and maybe some hunting or some such, relax and best of wishes.    Gary