Author Topic: flint to percussion adapter  (Read 4532 times)

camerl2009

flint to percussion adapter
« on: February 04, 2012, 06:56:33 AM »
i remember a bit back there was a adapter for sale the made use of the frizzen mount and a piece in the flint jaws to turn a flit lock into a percussion id like to see some pic's of these to copy from for times when the good black stuff is hard to come by(so i could use pyrodex if i have to or homemade sulfurless bp )

Offline SCLoyalist

Re: flint to percussion adapter
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 05:00:51 PM »
This what you're thinking of?

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=17465.0

And, seems like Dixie Gun works used to sell a convertible mountain rifle. Never saw one up close, so I don't know how they did the conversion.  Possibly a vent liner that was threaded identically to a drum & nipple for the barrel, and a separate lock to handle hammer and frizzen issues.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:42:43 PM by SCLoyalist »

camerl2009

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 09:06:18 PM »
This what you're thinking of?

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=17465.0

And, seems like Dixie Gun works used to sell a convertible mountain rifle. Never saw one up close, so I don't know how they did the conversion.  Possibly a vent liner that was threaded identically to a drum & nipple for the barrel, and a separate lock to handle hammer and frizzen issues.

yep thats it with this its still keeps the antique class of a new made flintlock if its not on longer then 30 days

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 09:41:33 PM »
This is mine and it works good. Just change the frizzen and the flint in the hammer to the
piece of steel you see that strikes the cap.

The Pistol Shooter

blunderbuss

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 12:23:13 AM »

Is this the one your looking for?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:25:31 AM by blunderbuss »

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 07:22:18 PM »
Couple hours or 3 to make that, Blunderbus - if you had the lock for proper fitting, that is?  I'd make one for about $80.00. The hammer nose would be another $20.00.

blunderbuss

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 08:40:31 PM »

Daryl

If I had the lock I'd have to know where the touch hole was located or have the buyer attach the part that diverted the flash.
 These need no priming just a cap
  Dennis 

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 04:29:13 AM »
More problems than are/were anticipated.  It's not just a bolt-on part.  Not difficult at all to make - with gun in hand.

Just for the heck of it, I might try making one for my .40 - just to test this hypothesis.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 04:31:13 AM by Daryl »

blunderbuss

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 12:23:00 AM »

Let me know if you get stuck

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 12:50:28 AM »
I'll do that.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 06:12:54 PM »
I had one of the Dixie rifles. The drum and liner were the same thread. You screwed one out and changed to the other lock. Sounds like a lot better idea than it really is. I ended up just leaving it flint and still have the old percussion lock stuck away somewhere. If I ever find it again I might try to build a rifle around it but then again, maybe not.

blunderbuss

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 06:23:14 AM »

I've seen those type conversions in fact I made one for a fellow once. The problem is a fellow needs two locks. These converters were used back in the day in places where they might not have caps.