Author Topic: Solder question  (Read 3272 times)

Offline wattlebuster

Solder question
« on: March 30, 2012, 04:31:09 AM »
Hello All... Im in the middle of a early virginia build an Im making some of my own stuff an need a lil advise.  Im making my front sight out of a old silver quarter that I want to solder to a copper or brass base. I've never done any soldering but already have a mapp gass torch, so my question is what kind of flux an solder do I need to get. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Dave B

Re: Solder question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 04:45:08 AM »
If you type in that subject on the search you will get more than enough info that you are looking for. He is just one of the many responses provided by a search on soldering metal.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=17182.0
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 06:28:36 AM »
Hello All... Im in the middle of a early virginia build an Im making some of my own stuff an need a lil advise.  Im making my front sight out of a old silver quarter that I want to solder to a copper or brass base. I've never done any soldering but already have a mapp gass torch, so my question is what kind of flux an solder do I need to get. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me ;D

You need high temp silver solder (silver braze) 1100 degree or so.
Soft solder will fail if the joint is stressed.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Online Leatherbark

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 12:54:54 PM »
Mr. Phariss is definitely right on using a high temp solder. You may get by with a softer solder if you fashioned the base to where the quarter you will be using will set into a nice square tight notch for side support and then solder. That is if your sight is not real high. If it is just going to be a butt weld you will need a high temp silver braze for sure. Try to find the thin strips of silver braze like HVAC persons use if you are using a mapp torch and good luck.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:59:49 PM by Leatherbark »

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 07:38:07 PM »
Both pieces must be clean, clean, clean, clean/ie; no oils - degreased completely - perhaps a few more 'cleans' to emphasise the cleanliness needed. No finger prints allowed- for a perfect solder joint. "Hard" silver is quite easy with the correct flux.

Many of us have had very good luck soldering up sights using low temp silver - 4% silver, high % of tin- no lead, I think it is. That is what I used on my 14 bore rifle's front sight in 1986.  It has a low bead of Purdey's pattern and has not failed - yet. The bead is a tapered piece of brass rod, soldered to a low angled vertical rib rising up from the steel base.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 06:11:11 PM »
a butt joint is a weak design, would need real silver "solder"   Best if sight is down into base so the solder/braze joint is loaded in shear. Hmm. Butt joints lousey, dunno common term for a joint that's loaded in shear - lap joint? Too long a metallurgist.

Offline walt53

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 06:22:29 AM »
DAN is right on the money,silver solder it is.  WALT