Author Topic: Beginning Relief Carving  (Read 3538 times)

J Hollis

Beginning Relief Carving
« on: October 05, 2015, 03:26:34 AM »
What would be a good assortment of chisels, let's say 6 - 8 pieces, for someone wanting to learn relief carving?  I have watched a few videos, read several tutorials, and often they list upwards of 20 chisels.  I am looking for a starting place.  Thanks.

Hollis

Bear62

Re: Beginning Relief Carving
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 07:40:28 PM »
Look at Wood Craft, they have an inexpencive set by Remelson offered with palm handels or the longer handels. I think there are 8 in a set and they come in small, mini and micro sizes. They are pretty sharp out of the box but you should really sharpen and buff them out before you do any serious carving with them.
 Chris

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 10:47:32 PM »
First decision is whether you are planning on using a stabbing technique or a v chisel to outline the work. I made a few curved stabbing tools of very small to small radius quickly from flat stock. They work great. If you know how to shape harden and temper tools you will never lack fit chisels and you will only ever need to buy the largest gouges.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 11:39:15 PM »
Do a Google search on "powergrip  chisels".  They are made in Japan of good steel and are sharp out of the box.   A lot of different companies sell them at many different prices.  I started with a 7 pc set for about $40.  Then I bought individual gouges when I found I needed a particular size and sweep.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 12:34:58 AM »
Also look in our woodworking tutorial section. There are a number of simple carving tutorials that illustrate carving and the tools needed.

Avoid carving sets, because you'll end up buying tools you may never use. There goes the bargain.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 12:44:25 AM »
Avoid carving sets, because you'll end up buying tools you may never use. There goes the bargain.
Tom
Tom's statement is right on the money.  Even buying a recommended set can net some gouges you will never/hardly use.  I have a bunch of #9 sweeps in different sizes that I bought per a tool list from a carving instructor and many of them do not work for me.  That is the million dollar question, what tools work for your style of carving.
David

J Hollis

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 02:37:30 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations.  I figured out of the multitude of different sweeps, skews, or straight chisels there would be a handful that get used more than the others.  I have been a little shy about buying a set where I may never use some of the tools.  I will probably pick a few out and wade on in. Thanks.