Author Topic: half stock  (Read 10275 times)

Offline conquerordie

Re: half stock
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 02:17:48 AM »
A lot of half stock European fowlers dating as early as the 1720's. Especially German guns. Might be a neat project.

Offline little joe

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 04:36:05 PM »
H.E. Leman rifles. Thousands of them, from late flintlock to early cartridge times.  Many half stocks.

Some in our library or otherwise posted.   

Lon

Lon, could you reference for me a Leman rifle, originally made as a halfstock that was originally flintlock?
In my limited research capabilities I have found no Leman half stocks in flint. All the flintlocks were full stock.

Offline little joe

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2015, 04:45:35 PM »
Little Joe, irregardless of the historical precedence of some New England rifles and the 1803 Harper's Ferry, the question is do you really want a halfstock flintlock gun? Unless you do, building two of them because you have some short pieces of maple on hand seems like a lot of work just to use some materials up. You could trade your maple to someone who doesn't mind building percussion rifles for a long piece of wood and build a rifle that you didn't have to search out historical precedents for.
 More plainly, life is too short (at the Age most of us are at :)) to build things other that what really excites us.
  I do not enjoy building a cap lock, however I do like to try to stay hist. correct if I can. As near as I can see there are several that were full stock and shortened most likely because of wood failure in the fore arm.