Author Topic: English Style L & R Locks  (Read 17006 times)

ironwolf

Re: English Style L & R Locks
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 02:27:40 PM »
  I agree Birddog, it is a fantastic little lock.  But if there were "one" change I would make,  it would be the addition of a stirrup.  But it would then become a different lock. 

Kevin

Offline Frank

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
I would never use an L&R lock on anything I built.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 05:59:58 PM »
  If the Chambers 'Late Ketland' had a mainspring stirrup it would be the 'King' of the English style locks for shure. 
  Kevin

Why ?  It is a great lock just as it is & you can't see a stirrup from the outside.

Its a matter or function and being correct. By the late flint period the mainspring bearing on the tumbler was the hallmark of a cheap export lock. English locks, the better ones, stopped using this method circa 1770s according to J. N. George "English Guns & Rifles".
The link makes the mainsprings action on the tumbler about as frictionless as it can be. Thus a lighter faster spring will do what previously required a heavier spring.
In percussion guns a properly designed link/tumbler produces the "heavy first lifting" that holds the hammer on the nipple better. At the same time amount of force on the tumbler at full cock is significantly reduced and this makes it easier to get a light trigger pull. On flint locks the mainspring force increases as the hammer falls and thus the cock is less likely to slow as it scrapes down the frizzen.

If you get the chance cock a good quality English lock even the later cartridge locks this is all readily apparent.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2008, 06:37:18 PM »
The top lock is one offered by Tip Cutis.  I wish I could remember who was making it.  It started out as a MG lock but I think someone else is making it.  Zorne (sp) maybe?
The bottom lock is a Chamber's Ketland.  One of the finiest locks made in my opinion.  If it will work fo the project you will not go wrong.

Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Evil Monkey

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2008, 06:50:09 PM »
Ken, the bottom lock is the Chambers in the first photo but in the photo showing the internals, the Chambers is the top lock. The photo showing the internals shows clearly why Chambers locks are head and shoulders above the rest.

lew wetzel

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2008, 10:15:03 PM »
just remember,without a functioning lock all you have is a nice club,and what fun is clubing something!!!!

ironwolf

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2008, 10:22:53 PM »
  There's functioning locks, and there are locks that are lightning fast and super sweet.  The flints just go on forever. 
  However those are the ones that we've "tinkered" with,  i.e. now worth $300.

Kevin W