Author Topic: Flintlock Survival Rifle  (Read 1797 times)

Offline maudite

Re: Flintlock Survival Rifle
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2024, 03:03:00 AM »
Joe S., I think you missed my point. In survival gun I meant one that could be relied on if society totally collapsed to the point modern ammunition no longer available. Just conjecture on my part. Wasn’t very long ago we had “supply chain issues” and certain things were hard to come by.
Just thinking out loud.
I like the image shared of poacher’s gun. Could come a time when we would be forced to poach the state’s game to feed hungry mouths.

You're absolutely right in your thinking. Having lived for decades in places that are just what the average American imagines when he says "SHTF", i.e. power grid inexistent or collapsed, empty fuel stations but thriving black market, bands of armed miscreants roaming the countryside, undrinkable water, close to zero healthcare available, limited supply of drugs, and so on, I can tell you that: 1.) It's not as bad as one could think, and by far (unless you are in an area of open war or genocide, of course...), 2.) One gets used to it quite rapidly, and 3.) Forget about finding ammo, unless you pick it from the enemy or from friendlies, and that's not hunting ammo. There won't be any spares either.

In this context, a flintlock rifle makes perfect sense: you don't depend on anyone for your supply of ammunition, and can feed yourself off the land. If you have any mechanical skills at all, even rough, you'll be able to keep that piece going as long as you live.

This. A lot of "survivalists" or 'preppers" envision some fantasy world akin to the "Walking Dead," "Lights Out," "The Postman" and other fictional works where the survivors will be engaging in daily gun battles. If it's like that, the poster who commented that survival won't be about finding something to eat is probably correct because most of the would-be survivors won't even live long enough to die of thirst, much less starvation.

There are plenty of survivors who have and continue to survive for years and decades under conditions that most modern people can't even imagine. Those people don't have Glocks, ARs and AKs, and wouldn't be able to feed them if they did. Instead they have single shot shotguns (and reload the shells with black powder), or even "Dane" guns. In that situation a flinter would be a great survival gun. I would also like to have my .22 caliber Benjamin pumper air rifle. Not only do I have a good supply of pellets for it; I also have a pellet mold.
I would probably use that pellet gun more than the muzzleloader because it would be less likely to draw unwanted attention.

In reality in an end of civilization type survival situation the best way to survive would be 
becoming a ghost and have as little interaction with others as possible.Even ganging up with other survivors would not be ideal as that could quickly turn into a Lord of the Flies  situation where the weaker members are ruled by the stronger ones.In my opinion the one thing a lot of survivor enthusiasts ignore would be the fact that most would probably either commit suicide or go completely insane do to the mental stress of  living in a world that everything and possibly everyone they knew is gone and not coming back and having to live to day to day in a dog eat dog world.How many of us would love to live in a world like that.Saving ones family would give one a strong incentive to live but losing or seeing loved ones die would put most people in a mind set that would probably be counter productive to long time survival.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 04:50:09 AM by maudite »

Offline Ravenshurst

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2024, 04:54:26 PM »
Wow, two of my favorite subjects.....IMnotsoHO, the early colonial muskets WERE survival guns. You need a round all big enough to kill a bad guy or a deer, a shot charge for suitable for turkey, pigeon, rabbit or squirrel......barrel length suitable for terrain, a sling....a big lock with a big rock...anybody have anything like this?

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2024, 03:19:41 AM »
Hey David, keep watching the mini mall for a great deal on a good m/l barrel like you found there several years ago ;D
Dave F