Author Topic: Southern Boy from Alabama wanting to hunt in Alberta  (Read 6664 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Southern Boy from Alabama wanting to hunt in Alberta
« on: September 05, 2008, 01:56:39 AM »
I am hoping that some of the Canadian builders can help me out on this. Or anyone that has had experiance with this.

I am thinking of booking a deer hunt for Nov. 2009 and want to use my flintlock. I know the Airlines will not let me take my BP with me so I was wondering on the availability of BP in Alberta? Is this something the guide service could provide?
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Leatherbelly

Re: Southern Boy from Alabama wanting to hunt in Alberta
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 03:25:58 AM »
 I'm quite sure if you book with Alberta Native Guides, Ken Steinhaur will supply you with B/P. Google him,he has a web site.

Try this site, www.albertanativeguides.com
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 07:30:54 AM by Leatherbelly »

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 07:25:30 AM »
does black powder burn slower up there in da cold?? ::) ::)
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 05:00:35 PM »
Oh yeah - powder up here burns so cold you have to warm the barrel first by rubbing it with heavy sheeps wool or the charge barely gets out the muzzle.  That is, if you can get the lock to strike a spark - hammer fall slows with all the ice and frost that forms in the internals of the lock. As well, flints generally shatter instantly on hitting the frizzen, releasing only a couple sparks at best - hope they land in the pan - not to mention trying to keep a springs from breaking from the cold. Frizzens breakin half, - etc, etc. ::)

ottawa

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 02:15:44 AM »
so cold you have to put what you say behinde the stove to thaw  out so ya can hear what cha said ;)

jim m

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 02:56:34 AM »
sounds like our northern brethren are good at blowing hot air. or is it methane gas from all the bull excrement they are spreading

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 04:40:16 AM »
I heard tell that a feller was campin up in canada and found a brown patch in his bedroll in the morning, threw it in the fire and 10 minutes later heard poooooot. :D
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 07:09:36 PM »
How the question about how to get black powder once in Canada turned into a conversation about frozen !@#$% is mighty strange, but then I have heard them boys from the far north had to be creative in finding ways to amuse theirselves.

Yes Sir mighty strange, must be the cold, I'v heard that it can affect one's mental capacity!!!! Ha, just funning boys.

Once a few years back it got down to below freezing here in good old Bama and snowed 33" why folks around here went plumb crazy. You couldn't find a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk nowhere, the women folk had made a mad dash on the stores and I can tell you for a fact that you did not want to get in their way for fear of life and limb. The good old boys had to get their high dollar 4x4's out to play in the snow. Now you ain't seen nothin until you witness a redneck with a 4x4 and 33 " of snow to play in. Needless to say the tow services made lots of money and the women and children were not safe outside.

Yes sir that cold weather will make you go plumb crazy. I hear yall get below freezing up there on occasion, reccon I need to pack both pairs of my long handle underware.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

buffalo

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 03:53:28 AM »
I DO NOT REPLY MUCH,,PRETTY MUCH LURK,GETTING READY TO GO OUT FOR BOW(DEER)I DON,T THINK IT WILL FREEZE YET, COME NEXT MONTH WE WILL PROBABLY HAVE OUR FIRST SNOW AN MORE IN LIKLEY IT  WILL LAST TILL MARCH,OH YEH I,M ABOUT 5 TO 6 HUNDRED MILES NORTH OF MINNIAPOLIS,WE CELEBRATE A KINDA  REDNECK FESTIVAL UP HERE IN FEB,CALLED FESTIVAL DU VOYAGEUR, ON THE MONDAY IT WAS -30 AN THE PLCE AT THE FORKS WAS PACKED,WITH MY GRANKIDS I HAD TOWAIT A 1/2 HOUR FOR THE HORSE DRAWN SLEIGH RIDES,AN THIS YEAR IT IS FORCAST IT MAY BE A COLD WINTER, HOW COME THE GUYS THAT WHINE BOUT GLOBAL WARMING ARE FROM THE DEEP SOUTH,WE SURE COULD USE SOME UP HERE,WE MAY BE JOSHING YOU A BIT BUT -30 TO -40 AIN,T NO PICNIC ,PUT YOUR FLINTER IN THE FREEZER PULL IT OUT AN GET ER READY ,THE TEMP IN THERE IS BOUT 20 TO 30 DEG HIGHER THAN OUT WINTER DAYS  YOU ALL COME UP HERE FOR A FINE WINTER HUNT,

BuffaloGun

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 12:59:25 PM »
I do love the American South but what I really find funny is the boys down South trying to drive when they get 2" of snow on the roads.
 ;D
"I don't care where 'yer from, that there is funny."
I was stationed in NC for a few years and a few hours of freezing rain and 2 inches of snow brought the town of Goldsboro to a stand still.
A hunt in Canada or Alaska is something you owe yourself.
I want to get back to Alaska at least once more in my life.

Evil Monkey

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 04:36:01 PM »
Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't usually get all that cold up here. We can get cold, but it's unusual.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 04:37:01 PM »
Bama,
 Give Ken a call. I'm sure he'll make room for ya!