Author Topic: socal rondezvous  (Read 8462 times)

karwelis

socal rondezvous
« on: September 05, 2008, 05:21:41 PM »
we just had our Big Horn Mountianman Rondezvousup here in big bear over the labor day weekend. what a good time! met up with old friends, made new friends, had a good time! sat around swappin lies at the fire, and made a bunch of smoke!

karwelis
my daughter rhiannon

my buddy tj balck

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 07:36:09 PM by karwelis »

Offline Beaverman

Re: socal rondezvous
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 07:00:34 PM »
Looks like the Holcomb Valley area? havnt been up there since 95

karwelis

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 07:34:15 PM »
lol,,,,,,,,,yeah its holcomb valley! west of the boyscout camp

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 09:11:48 PM »
Hmmm seems like someone closed her eyes when she pulled the trigger!! :o

A pair of shootin glasses would prevent that and maybe some other things!! ;D

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 09:15:07 PM »
lol,,,,,,,,,yeah its holcomb valley! west of the boyscout camp

Im surprised they let ya shoot being how dry it is up there this time of the year, maybe if I ever make it back to so cal round labor day Ill drive up from visiting the kids in Corona and check out the doins!

karwelis

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 09:37:46 PM »
well  they let us cuz its private property! and we had fire extingushers and buckets of water. and please do! its a real good time. heres the web site for the rondy http://www.bighornmountainmen.com/

karwelis

karwelis

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 09:38:40 PM »

no, we both have squity eyes

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 02:59:11 AM »

I agree with Roger. When it comes to shooting flinters, I MUST wear protective glasses or I'll flinch for sure. I can see the squinty-eue sight picture she and you have, karwelis, but am certain she closed her eye when the flash erupted.  Besides, flinters, mine and almost everyone elses I've shot bounce particles off my forehead at times - without glasses, I'd be about hopeless - well, less more hopeless, anyway.
; That looks like a most favourable surrounding for a rendezvous. Nice!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 04:03:47 AM by Daryl »

karwelis

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 05:11:37 AM »
well i'll clear this up, she didnt flinch! she hit her silloutte at 75 yards on that shot. she and i go shooting at least 1 day a week practicing and she shoots between 60-80 rounds a session

karwelis

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 05:39:18 PM »
karwalis- that's great!  I still  think she should be wearing protective glasses, though. Thanks for posting the pictures.  Looks like a great time. Some of the trial walks at Hefley are in the bush too as is the trail walk at the Prince George rendezvous in June.  We have a 56 round course of fire, sometimes split into a 2 day event to allow socializing for most of the day, along with some other events like trap and pistol events.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 09:27:22 PM »
karwalis- that's great!  I still  think she should be wearing protective glasses, though. Thanks for posting the pictures.  Looks like a great time. Some of the trial walks at Hefley are in the bush too as is the trail walk at the Prince George rendezvous in June.  We have a 56 round course of fire, sometimes split into a 2 day event to allow socializing for most of the day, along with some other events like trap and pistol events.
  Yes, a great set up for a woods walk.  Ol' Daryl made his point and managed to be very polite.  We hope that you take the advice freely given on this site in the spirit which it is intended.  Most of the advice given here is from the voice/voices of experience!  It isn't always flint or cap fragments from the shooter's own piece it can be from a neighbor's firearm in particular during a line shoot...!
Get the girl shooting glasses and yourself while your at it!! ;)

karwelis

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 10:18:33 PM »
our rondy has a NO plastics rule

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 10:30:32 PM »
Protective tempered glass lenses work too, especially when installed in period-corect frames. Actually, the only way to tell the glass lenses from plastic, is to handle them. I'm sure they wouldn't bite at protectvie plastic lenses in wire frames.  If so, then when they are sued, perhaps the rules will change, if they are still a club.  Their plastic rule must have perameters, if not, that's just plain stupid.  that girls eyes are more important than trying to meet the rule book.  I'd not let my daughter shoot there if they rules against protective lenses. This is my honest opinion, not a personal slam. Please don't take it that way.

California Kid

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 10:57:24 PM »
At the local rendevous in the San Diego area, some type of shooting glasses are required. Never been to Big Bear, but have heard about it.
Doesn't make sense to me either.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 01:05:22 AM »
I do agree that shooting glasses should be part of everyones shooting tackle.  It may not be period correct at many shoots and gatherings, but we're only born with two eyes, and some in this sport are down to one eye.  Why risk injury to what eyesight you have?  I to do not want to come across as lecturing, but shooting these flintlocks and caplocks without eye protection is rather like playing Russian Roulette.

I will admit it took me 20 years to wise up after several close encounters with flint & cap fragments at times flying back and hitting close around my shooting eye.  The last straw was eleven years ago when a fragmented piece of RWS cap lodged in the corner of my eye (tear duct side) and from then on I've worn shooting glasses.  I did get a pair that would pass as period correct specs from Mountain State all those years ago that I still use today for PC events.  Otherwise I just use regular shooting glasses.  I also feel it improved my accuracy as I haven't had that worry of; "will this be the shot that fragments and ruins my shooting eye?"

Just my two cents worth.

Enjoyed the pictures very much.  Thanks!  It looks like a nice area for sure! :)

Offline mdtnhunter

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 07:03:11 PM »
Great setting for a camp!