Author Topic: Trigger Problems and Solutions  (Read 8732 times)

Offline Herb

Trigger Problems and Solutions
« on: May 22, 2010, 11:49:05 PM »
I am building two flintlocks with lengths of pull about 13.5 and 13.75 inches.  Two friends are interested but want a shorter LOP, which I also prefer.  So I set the trigger back.  I used Muzzleloader Builders Supply Davis York Model 005, in the stock, but made a new blade for it.  Track's York County on top, with a shorter bar showing the 13.5" LOP I first made.

Here is the guard and the modified trigger.  I soldered a plate onto the top for a longer tang bolt engagement, and soldered and pinned an extension on the front of the plate to set the original trigger farther to the rear for more finger room and to reduce the weight of pull.  But then I replaced the blade by making a new one.

The sear bar hits .27" behind the pivot pin for a weight of pull 12 ounces, safe but too light.  I prefer it 5/16" away.  I may fit a leaf spring under the blade.  There was no lock modification and the sear holds under dropping or bumping the hammer.  I have made my own triggers and blades and probably will do that from now on.  The tang bolt holds the trigger guard and plate together, I pin the rear tab.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 02:09:45 AM by rich pierce »
Herb

Offline Herb

Re: Trigger Problems and Solutions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 05:04:12 AM »
Here is the second rifle, a Stonewall Creek Outfitters stock, .50 Rice 42" B barrel, L&R Classic lock (stock was inletted for it), same York trigger as above.  LOP 13 3/4".

New trigger and plate made from 1/8" x 1/2" steel from Tru Value Hardware.

Detail of trigger and plate.  The blade hits the sear bar .25" behind the pin.  If I make another one, I'll bend the trigger to the side to accept the finger. The front of the plate fits under the tab so that the tang bolt holds the plate and guard into the stock.  This allows another 1" longer ram rod hole.

Completed job.  There is so much friction in this lock that the weight of pull is still five pounds.  The sear and tumbler scour the plate, had to file them and polish the plate and reduce the sear spring tension.  Should probably get a new sear, but expect I can file more clearance and reduce pull weight.  This was a poorly fitted lock.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 04:27:50 PM by Tim Crosby »
Herb