Author Topic: New Pouch  (Read 4726 times)

g.pennell

New Pouch
« on: May 31, 2010, 11:32:25 PM »
I needed a new pouch for my current project rifle.  Work took me out of town for most of last week, so I packed an extra bag with some tools, one of Jason's cowhides, and a copy of Mr. Albert's book.  I figured my time would be better spent sewing than watching TV in the motel...

Anyways, here it is.  It's one of the patterns from the book, except I didn't do the piercings on the flap.  I did add the gusset to the bottom of the bag, and sewed a hem on the top-front edge to keep it in place.

The hides I got from Jason are a nice creamy white color.  I used a coat of Fiebing's mahogany dye, a coat of dark brown, and then went over it with the Antiquing Cream in black.

Greg

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
Re: New Pouch
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 12:10:13 AM »
I like it. The horn looks really good with it. I m glad you didn't add piercings. My understanding is that the piercings would have dated the bag to a rather short period, and that would not have really matched the time of the horn.
Skillman
Steve Skillman

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 02:58:32 AM »
Great job on that pouch.  I like the way the color plays off the throat of the horn, the buckle is a great one, and the sewing looks good too.
Andover, Vermont

g.pennell

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 04:58:49 AM »
Thanks guys.  I guess I just got lucky...the pierced flap just didn't appeal to me...I don't know enough about about dating these types of accessories to match things up on purpose... ;)

The buckle and linen thread came from one of the vendors at Martin's Station a few weeks ago.  I got a couple more small buckles for the horn strap, but haven't got around to making those yet.  I still need to make a matching knife sheath, too.

Greg

Offline Artificer

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 06:49:31 AM »
The flaps at the top of the bag with the "pining shear" cut ends are interesting.  That was done to hold the pouch so the flap would stay over the ends, wasn't it?  Never saw it done like that before, but it is neat.

Gus

jasontn

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 05:22:48 PM »
looks really good greg. i like the color the leather took, ill have to try that black cream.

g.pennell

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 05:03:10 AM »
Gus,

The little flaps are called "corner reinforcements" in Mr. Albert's book.  By the time you stitch through both sides of them, the front and back of the pouch, and the welt, it's pretty well reinforced!

Jason,

Those white hides are super raw material, and a bargain at the price!  They took the dye very well, and I really liked working them.  I used the Fiebings mostly because I'd used it before, but I'm going to make some of the steel wool/vinegar stain and try it on some test pieces.  I have enough for several more projects before I'll need a re-supply...

Greg

msw

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 02:54:03 PM »
Great looking bag!  I like, especially, the buckle and the color.

Ole Doc

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 03:54:04 PM »
looks very usable ... should lay well agin ya side
while stalking game.
Jason is a good fella ta know iffin ya needin hides.
Color is nice ... almost see a deep red in it.