Author Topic: Another Banded Horn 1/6/10  (Read 5680 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Another Banded Horn 1/6/10
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:20:17 PM »

I got the idea for this horn from the Jan '10 issue of The Horn Book, there was an article in it about North Carolina banded horns, with it were pics of three horns. This is not a copy more of an interpretation, the other two will be along shortly.
  It is about 12 1/2"s around the outside curve, the Walnut base is about 2" and is held with 4 steel pins. The bands are also held on with two steel pins each.

Tim C.

Jefferson58

Re: Another Banded Horn 1/6/10
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 10:41:04 PM »
Very nice Tim. I love the tip, but I don't even want to think about carving that pattern.

Great job, as usual.

Jeff

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 12:33:19 AM »
Tim,

What did you use to get the red wash effect?

Mark E

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 12:46:10 AM »
Tim,

What did you use to get the red wash effect?

Mark E

Hey Mark,
 I started with a couple of coats of AF until I got a good base, then on the last coat and while still warm, I coated it with Saddle Tan oil based leather dye. It was only on as long as it took me to cover the horn, wiped it off and covered it with brown shoe polish. Wiped/buffed it of and that is what I got. Repeatable??  Some depends on the horn.

Tim C.

PS: I am color blind, predominately Red and Green, that may explain some of the weird shades I end up with,TC 

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 01:56:25 AM »
What is the story on these horns, Ive always liked them, but was not doing a virgina/carolina white guy thus have never picked one up.  Do any of the surviving examples  have a solid rev war collection history, or are they a 1790's thing?

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 07:24:07 AM »
Tim,

If you are color blind, then you probably don't know that a lot of original horns have a red tint to them.   This one looks a lot like the coloration I have seen on some originals.   I have other problems with my sight, but color blindness isn't one of them  :)

Mark

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 07:28:31 AM »
Luke,

I am aware of at least one banded horn dated to the French & Indian War.   Thus, I assume that at least Virginia banded horns are correct pre-Rev.    I made a pre-Rev outfit with a large one.

Mark E.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 01:27:39 PM »
Mark,
I am very interested in the early banded F&I horn. Can you point us to a source of specifics as to it's origin and provenance?
Thanks
James

Jefferson58

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 02:46:19 PM »
I would be curious about that real early horn as well. Is there a photo of it anywhere?

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 06:08:09 PM »
You will have to ask Dennis Glazener about the horn.  He is the one that told me about it.   He said someone had it at the 2010 TN/KY show in Norris.  I wanted to see it but never got the chance.  Hopefully Dennis will chime in hear with the details.

Mark

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 04:09:55 AM »
I know two people that have early single banded VA horns. Both are ALR members so I will leave it to them whether they wish to reveal their ownership. Both originated from the western part of VA. I will have to see my notes on the dates but if my memory is correct one is early Rev war and the other one is late F&I war. What I thought so interesting about them is both are single banded horns.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 01:49:14 PM »
Thanks Dennis. Sure would like to see these guys chime in with some information.
I would love to be able to justify a single banded horn for my kit.  ;D
I was always under the impression they were later.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 04:22:21 PM »
 The earliest one I know of and has  provenance is 1774. Pictures maybe forth coming. I am always looking for pic/info on banded horns, especially early documented examples.

Tim C. 

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 10:35:59 PM »
Tim is correct, one of the horns is dated 1774 and is from a Shenandoah County VA man. Passed down through his family. Single band. The other is Rev War and I think it is dated but not 100% sure. I was thinking the 1774 one was F&I time frame but its too late for that.

Both VA, both single band.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson