Author Topic: Where to go from here ...  (Read 6981 times)

Offline B. Hey

Where to go from here ...
« on: June 14, 2010, 05:03:57 AM »
I've never approached a project from this end before ... I purchased one of the 46" octagon to round 20GA bbls that Barbie had for sale. The question is: Where do I go from here? I'd appreciate any thoughts/comments concerning what gun might make the best use of the bbl. I have building experience, but all revolves around flintlock rifles of various schools. If you had the smoothie bbl, what would you build? Thanks in advance for your guidance. Take care ... Bill    PS ... The PA Fowler on Jim's website seems interesting to me, but I'm open to ideas.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Where to go from here ...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 05:18:19 AM »
Bill, you can't go wrong with the Chambers' PA Fowler.  It makes up into an excellent fowler, and round ball shooter.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 05:39:55 AM »
Any number of fowling pieces.....Simple style or ornate as pleases you!!  Or a smoothrifle..... Look at the smooth rifle kit Jim has.its made for that barrel I think.  I know it has a 46" barrel... It is a long and very skinny gun!! a beauty
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 05:42:38 AM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Online David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 07:08:36 AM »
Taylor is correct.  The Chambers PA fowler is one of my favorite handling guns.  I don't own one but the couple I have handled make me want to build the kit.
DMR

Michael

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 02:26:46 PM »
Bill,

Peering into my wife's crystal ball!! I see a 20 bore type'G' English trade gun.
I also ordered one of those barrels from Barbie for a customers copy of the Bumford trade gun. Hope it comes today so I can get it set into the stock this afternoon.

Michael

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 02:36:35 PM »
I think one of those barrels would make a dandy fowler.  I guess if you can't make up your mind, get another barrel and build 2 ;D
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 02:52:50 PM »
I see a gun based on that cheap Wilson fowling piece (Williamsburg Collection) in Jim Mullin's book  "Of Sorts For Provincials"

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 03:34:12 PM »
I see a gun based on that cheap Wilson fowling piece (Williamsburg Collection) in Jim Mullin's book  "Of Sorts For Provincials"

If you do that you can get a fine Wilson trade lock from Caywood for it. It is big like a Chambers English Round faceed lock....very fast and tight for a big lock.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 06:08:13 PM »
Those barrels (and every regular run barrel) are just a little thicker at the muzzle than was common on trade guns, but will really shoot a round ball well.

A 20 ga, 46" barrel is also good for a New England fowler from 1775 on.  Before that, the barrels were longer.

It would make a nice, plainer Bucks County gun, many of which were smoothbores.

If you have the Grinsdale fowler book, you'll find plenty of inspiration.  Look at the Fainot guns- they are really high on my dream build list (I dream I'll have time to build guns, but it ain't happening lately).
Andover, Vermont

Michael

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 09:39:35 PM »
Rich,

That's what they make files for ;D. It takes me the better part of a day to reshape the barrel to a more correct form and move the wedding bands to the correct location.

James,

The gun you are talking about is the beech stocked John Bumford trade gun. Neat gun slim and light when done right. I'm starting my third copy of it now.

Michael

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 09:55:39 PM »
Rich,

That's what they make files for ;D. It takes me the better part of a day to reshape the barrel to a more correct form and move the wedding bands to the correct location.

James,

The gun you are talking about is the beech stocked John Bumford trade gun. Neat gun slim and light when done right. I'm starting my third copy of it now.

Michael

That extra thickness at the end of the barrel is so you can cone it out like the old fowling guns.  ;D

Actually I am not talking about the Bumford trade gun but the Wilson piece on page 53. It 's a step up but still a fairly plain gun.

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 09:59:50 PM »
Thanks for all the great ideas. Looks as though I'll be buried in "fowler research" for a while. With two other rifles in process, I have time to ponder the 20GA. Again, thanks for your help and suggestions. Take care .. Bill

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 02:16:35 AM »
This close to your rifle building experience but  a smoothbore I t is one of my favorites and the original is so slender it took my breath away when I first saw it

http://www.flintlocks.com/rifles03.htm
Stock Dimensions: Barrel Dimensions:
■Trigger Pull: 13 7/8"
■Drop At Heel: 3 1/4"
■Butt Width: 2"
■Drop At Comb: 2"
■Butt Height: 4 13/16"
■Cast Off: 1/4"
■Overall Length: 62"
■Weight in 50 cal.: 7 1/4 lbs.
■Lock: Colonial Virginia
■Brass or Steel Hardware
 ■46" Octagon-to-round
■Standard barrel is 20 ga. smooth bore
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 02:21:09 AM »
Thanks for the info Tim. I'm but a couple hours away from Jim's place and I plan to visit soon. My thoughts are leaning heavily toward his PA fowler. Take care .. Bill

Leatherbelly

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 03:24:08 AM »
Dr. Tim,
  Yep, I'd like one of those also! I'm leaning toward a 28 ga. rifled. Real slim gun.