Author Topic: Brass ramrod source  (Read 4776 times)

ironsights1

Brass ramrod source
« on: September 10, 2008, 10:48:40 PM »
My .25 caliber flintlock has arrived and, after reading several posts concerning small diameter wooden ramrod hazards, I'm looking for a source for a brass ramrod.  Who makes these? Thanks, Tom

Daryl

Re: Brass ramrod source
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 10:58:24 PM »
I would check welding supply outfits for brass, or simply get a 48" piece of 3/16" drill rod and cut it to length.  Industrial supply outfits should have the drill rod. I'd drill a hole and thread for either a 6x32 or 8x32 for jags and worm.  I would not use a hickory rod for loading or in the gun. I know it isn't period correct, but having a rod that will allow a descent ball and patch to be used is more important to me.  You could always use a split hickory rod in the gun. A ground dowel probably won't last longer than 1 loading.  You'll have to push the patched ball down in very short steps- about 3" at a time with a hickory rod. A 3/16" drill rod sounds best to me.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 10:58:58 PM by Daryl »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 11:16:59 PM »
Tom,
I've got a couple of Pro-Shot .22 cal. range rods that are 42" long.  Already threaded on one end and a handle on the other.  If you didn't want the handle, you could cut it off and still have sufficient length.  They are stainless, but could probably be cold-blued.

Contact me off board if interested.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

roundball

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 01:30:30 AM »
My .25 caliber flintlock has arrived and, after reading several posts concerning small diameter wooden ramrod hazards, I'm looking for a source for a brass ramrod.  Who makes these? Thanks, Tom
I've had several made by owner 'John' at October Country...just call him and tell him the diameter and finished length, and whether you want 8/32" or 10/32" threaded ends.

He also chucks them in his lathe and lightly scribes a cross-hatch weave into the brass for about 1.25" on the end under the muzzle for a non-slip grip.

www.octobercountry.com

mykeal

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 02:39:26 AM »
I second the advice on October Country. Bought one a few months ago for my GPR. Very nice product.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 02:42:22 AM »
Check mscdirect.com they can furnish brass rod in 6 ft lenths.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine