Author Topic: Contemporary Makers Blogspot - Anyone looked at the Potter rifle?  (Read 9764 times)

Offline RobertS

Contemporary Makers Blogspot - Anyone looked at the Potter rifle?
« on: September 11, 2008, 01:18:46 AM »
There is a George Potter rifle on the contemporary makers blogspot site today that is really something else.  I just can't stop looking at it.  The patchbox side moldings have a wavy line along the edge that I can't figure out.  It may be engraved, but really looks more like filework, maybe with a thin wavy strip of the wood showing through, and a thin secondary border on the outside of that, which may be a separate piece of brass.  The same theme seems to be repeated on the oval surrounding the cheekpiece star.  If you haven't seen it, it's worth a look (or two or three or more) in my humble opinion.   

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
Re: Contemporary Makers Blogspot - Anyone looked at the Potter rifle?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 04:52:28 PM »
That is a beautiful rifle...Mr. Potter is a wonderful craftsman and a very nice guy to boot. His work is truly "art" thats for sure. I agree, you need to look at his rifle on the Makers Blog...
T.C.Albert

"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 05:17:11 PM »
There is a George Potter rifle on the contemporary makers blogspot site today that is really something else.  I just can't stop looking at it.  The patchbox side moldings have a wavy line along the edge that I can't figure out.  It may be engraved, but really looks more like filework, maybe with a thin wavy strip of the wood showing through, and a thin secondary border on the outside of that, which may be a separate piece of brass.  The same theme seems to be repeated on the oval surrounding the cheekpiece star.  If you haven't seen it, it's worth a look (or two or three or more) in my humble opinion.   

Flat chisel (graver) IMO. This appears to be a variation of what McKenzie calls a nick and dot border without the dot.
Its pretty common technique and the basic cut is shown in both McKenzie's videos and Guslers. This is enlarged somewhat but the same cutting technique.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 07:50:13 PM »
That rifle is crazy nice.  There's a lot to love there.  exquisite carving and the engraving designs are terrific and well executed.  Great architecture; it has it all.
Andover, Vermont

don getz

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 11:29:33 PM »
Yeah, I saw that gun too, kind of took my breath away.  I think it is a fantastic "contemporary" gun, different carving,
just like everything about it......Don

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 01:03:27 AM »
 That is one beautiful piece of work, makes ya wanna slow down and see not just look.

Tim C.

PS: What kind of lock is that?

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 07:13:05 PM »
I may be wrong as usual, but I think Mr. Potter said he cast all the brasses himself etc...as well...?
T.Albert
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline sz

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 06:59:50 AM »
For those of us that don't understand our way around the computer world (that would be me)  can you post a link?

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 03:08:30 PM »
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/

This link will get you to the site.  It has tons of photographs of contemporary makers works.  At the bottom of the page click on "Older Post".  You can also do a search for specific makers at the top of the page.

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline art riser

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 03:56:56 PM »
You can touch on the photos and they will enlarge. The colored copy in the text block is a link to the makers web site.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 03:57:32 PM by art riser »

Offline RobertS

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 12:58:05 AM »
The Contemporary Makers website is more addictive for me than anything out there on the web.  Thanks, Mr. Riser, for making available.  (I think my wife is getting suspicious though.)

Offline sz

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 07:47:18 AM »
Thank You.
:)

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 02:55:41 AM »
I remember seeing George Potter's first rifle, many years ago. It looked more like the 200th rifle by some mighty fine makers. His work is second to none. Having a background as an art intstructor at a university certainly has something to do with it.