Author Topic: Original Priming Horn  (Read 6138 times)

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
Original Priming Horn
« on: July 01, 2010, 10:15:27 PM »
Recently ALR member hawknknife offered an old priming horn for sale in the ALR "For Sale" forum.  I was able to purchase the horn and was pleasantly surprised when I received it.  For those who didn't see it in the "For Sale" forum, I am posting pictures here.  The horn is a bit over 4-1/2 inches, not counting the spout plug.  At the butt end the horn is oval and measures 1-1/4" by !-3/4".  The horn has a rough scraped finish.  In several places you can plainly see chatter marks from a knife or scraper.  The only decoration on the horn is some drill tip holes with concentric rings around the holes.  It is scraped very thin and has a wonderful patina that only comes with age.  The interesting part about this horn is the butt plug.  The butt plug was originally made to a press fit to the horn and has no pins holding the butt plug into the horn.  It appears that over the years the butt plug has become loose and someone wrapped the working part of the plug in paper to maintain the slight press fit.  The paper is now old and yellowed.  The paper is broad ruled tablet paper like  school children would use and has some mathematics calculations written on it.  There are two leather tabs sticking out through the butt plug and provide a "handle" to pull the butt plug for refilling.  All in all a really nice old priming horn.  Thanks Carl for offering this horn for sale. 

Randy Hedden

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 02:26:52 AM by Ky-Flinter »
American Mountain Men #1393

eseabee1

Re: Original Priming Horn
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 10:23:42 PM »
Very interesting thamks for sharing ..I seen it fro sale but you jumped on it before I even had a chance ;D

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 04:52:09 AM »
Randy
Thanks for posting the pictures. We all need to see all the originals we can.
Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 06:35:39 PM »
That is very interesting. 

Coryjoe

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 08:06:05 PM »
What a little dandy!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 10:12:38 PM »
How much powder you reckon it holds??  I wonder if it was really a priming horn or just simply a small hunting horn for a squirrel gun???
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 12:52:48 AM »
  Thanks for the pics and the right up. You were quick on the draw on that one.

Tim C.

Offline Artificer

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 12:28:41 AM »
Enjoyed the pics and the write up.  Thank you.

I may be entirely off track, but I can't help but wonder if this was originally intended as a salt horn or other container of some sort and then used as a powder horn?  I look at the horn and wonder how tight the butt plug was originally.  The reason I ask is because of the leather strap on the butt end seems to suggest it may be for easy and/or frequent filling.  Of course, it may also have been for frequent emptying to dry out damp powder. 
Gus

hawknknife

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 12:00:08 AM »
Randy, I'm pleased you like it.  I have owned it for a number of years and had no idea the base would pull out.  It's just been on a shelf with several others...Carl

digger

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 03:12:13 AM »
Very neat little horn, it is nice to see some original stuff to keep it all in perspective.

double hunter

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 07:42:04 PM »
really nice

Offline Rick Sheets

• HCH Master Horner and Web Guy
    • Proud Journeyman Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 09:57:51 PM »
Love the little horns. That is a nice one. Check to see if the math calculations on the paper shim are correct. That might help you pin down the date of the "repair."
Rick
Proud Master Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
     http://www.hornguild.org
My personal website:
     http://patriothorns.com
Like me on facebook:
     http://www.facebook.com/patriothorns