Author Topic: S.M. (Halfstock) 100713-1  (Read 11431 times)

Offline nord

S.M. (Halfstock) 100713-1
« on: August 01, 2010, 04:15:23 PM »
Tiger maple with quality brass furniture. Ferrule is engraved inlaid pewter. Patchbox engraved and mounted in releif.

S. M. engraved in script on barrel flat . There is an intertwined engraving 1 in. before and after rear site. Cheek peice a scroll carved in releif ending in a tendril , looks like a vine.

Pg. 300, plate248 of Kauffmans     PENN  KTKY RIFLE There is a very similar rifle attributed to Mier. Some have suggested it may be a Samuel Miller but I'm guessing it was made 1860-1870 which would be late for Miller.

Any help in pinning it down further would be appreciated.  Kaufman spells his name Meir probably a typo as his father and brothers are spelled right

Comments:

I'm not really sure what to think about this rifle. I wish I could examine it in person, since pictures only go so far. There are things about it that make me wonder whether it is entirely old....or old at all.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 12:10:11 AM by Dennis Glazener »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

wjgreene

Re: S.M. (Halfstock) 100713-1
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 08:34:05 PM »
I neglected to mention that it is about a 30 caliber match rifle. A sport very popular in 1800,s. I am not an expert but the patina on the barrel and pitting on lock plate indicate old to me. I am quite sure the stock was hand carved. I have a feeling the brass has been cleaned and polished. The engaving also appears to me as hand work. The similarity between this rifle and the one in Kaufman,s book seems more than coincidence.

As I said I am not an expert . I live in the Albany N.Y. area and would be glad to drive a reasonable distance to show it to someone with more expertise than I. :)

scooter

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 03:44:34 AM »
I can state unequivocally that the gun was made by Sam Mier of Somerset Co, PA. One of his medium to letter pieces w/ the commode seat PB.

wjgreene

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 01:55:39 AM »
Hi  Thanks for comment < but you lost me , What is the commode seat . Doosn,t sound complimentary . :-\

oakridge

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 04:25:11 AM »
wjgreene, Commode seat is the term used for the round or oval  cap box lid found  usually on later rifles.   

wjgreene

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 03:49:31 PM »
Thanks for patchbox info. You learn something everyday. Out of curiosity , how did you identify it as a samual mier other than the initials? Do you have an opinion on when it was made . I guessed 1860-1870. Mier would have been 30-40 years old.

chuckles2011

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 04:07:46 AM »
hey i'm a newby, just joined yesterday 'cause i bought a half stock with S. Mier on the barrel.  so i googled Sam Mier, and up you folks came.  and i clearly am the proud new owner of a Sam Mier half stock.   it is stunning how closely mine matches those you have posted in your archive. (especially the one picture set over the chair arms)  same false tigermaple, same signature.  and it shoots really well!!!  which i find particularly interesting as it doesn't visually have a great bore.  i guess old sammy just got it right.  it has a lot of punch markings near the sights, same signature,  (the S is slightly different), commode patch box, double sets, etc and with a "leman" lock stamped "lancstr pa.   so where is there more info on him and how does one use your site?  i feel a little cyberdeficient....chuckles2011  i'll get pics up if some one replies and tells me how to do that...great link!!!   my first signed bp firearm...!!!!!

circuit rider

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 04:25:52 AM »
hey, I too am new to this. joined yesterday also.  like the meir posts.  Trying to identify a brokem back lock percussion Bedford County style longrifle been in the family for 100+ years. 41" barrell around 36 cal.  Full style patchbox, which had a small peice of wood with half a dozen nipples for percussion caps.  ( so I was told)  Would appreciate any help in identifying this old piece.
Blessings

wjgreene

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 01:54:21 AM »
This rifle is for sale if anybody is interested  You can look on gunbroker or contact me .