Author Topic: Proper Kit For Period  (Read 4841 times)

2ndCharter

Proper Kit For Period
« on: August 04, 2010, 10:20:09 PM »
I've browsed around for a few days to try and find this with no luck. Could someone point me to a reference or description of what the proper shooting bag, horn et al would be for 1760-1770 Virginia Tidewater or Eastern Shore? This would be for fowling mostly but probably would go out with a rifle on early muzzleloader season for deer as well.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Proper Kit For Period
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 11:26:26 PM »
It's mostly conjecture.  There are so few documentary paintings or descriptions, few surviving early shot bags from anywhere, and few dated horns from the area that would be considered "sporting" horns.  For a gentleman fowling in that time and place, a plain black bag that looks like it was made by a saddler/harnessmaker would seem right to me, paired with a shot snake and a nice horn that throws a measured charge.  If you were a tidewater rat/bayman, perhaps something less genteel but sturdily made would serve well in a bag.  I think a shot snake, home-made or professionally made, would be used when fowling, perhaps paired with a plain, largish horn.  Generally I think of time, place and station in life as much as intended use when designing a kit.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 12:14:52 AM »
Take a look at the horn on the "VA Horn" thread from a couple of days ago.... that would probably be OK..  I agree with Rich that the bag would probably look like some thing made by a harness maker if you are out with a nice fowling piece.  Wearing Breeches?? Frock Coat and Westkit??  Buckle shoes or boots....Course you could go Native American dress if you wanted. breechclout and leggins and moccasins with a linen hunting shirt..then your bag might be a little more homemade looking...horn could be just plain and simple or with some scratchng.........So you have a lot of room to play wiith... Who do you want to be??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 02:08:17 AM »
Fowling pieces ran from el cheapo for the po folks to fine custom ordered pieces for planters so
 more information on station in life and occupation is needed.

Flasks were being brought in on ships earlier than that so don't rule them out.
Snake belts seemed to be gaining popularity with the gentry in England about the late 1760's. I have not been able to pin those down that early here.
Comination shot/powder chargers were being ordered here in the early 1770's. They work well to carry a handful of them in the pocket along with some tow for a go at the birds.
I would stick with a natural colored or blackened harness maker type bag of vegetable tannage and avoid rings, scabbards, loops and gazillions of pockets.
A belt pouch is certainly a great possibility as well. A plain turnscrew and a scour worm of iron.

For the average joe, a small leather or cloth bag carried in the pocket to hold shot would do well along with a plain utilitarian horn and again a harness maker made bag. A pipe bowl for shot measuring, or a cheapo tin measure. A wad of tow for cleaning and wadding.

Pockets were often used and are often forgotten in our modern "bat belt" type of thinking.

James

2ndCharter

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 02:52:29 AM »
I'd say country gentleman is what I'm after. Can you recommend someone who would do that kind of work on consignment? Since the people on this forum are soooo nice and helpful, I'd like to help out the craftsman here.

- Steve

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 01:54:14 PM »
Steve,

I sent you a PM.

James

Offline Collector

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 07:52:05 PM »
You MUST  MUST  make the pilgrimage to the CLA show 20 & 21 August, 2010 in Lexington KY.  See second link (events) below for details.

http://www.longrifle.ws/

http://www.longrifle.ws/events/

If you  DON'T  do this, you will spend the next year subjecting yourself to undue eye stress, loss of sleep, aching back muscles and the unrelenting pain of carpal tunnel syndrome, from doing Internet search after Internet search in the vain pursuit of 'things' and 'stuff' (code words used by women who think the world would be a better place if we all read Ladies Home Journal, listened to Barry Manilo albums and collected cooking recipes) for your first flint fowler... and the next... and perhaps a nice flint double for the next.

When leaving your house, bring two (2) large suitcases (one for clothes [partial] and the other one MT) to belay suspicion and to have room for "accoutrements," otherwise called 'rigs' and 'gear' or 'kit.'  If more room is required, ship all clothing, by FedEx, to a trusted friend/co-conspirator where you can retrieve them later.  Remember, true 'ownership' begins once they cross the threshold of your front door.  Don't be sneaky and try to use the side door-it's too obvious; a dead giveaway.  If your stash is found-out before you can secret it away, claim that you were just letting everything acclimate to the homes temperature and regional humidity, before bringing it out.  Avoid the phrase, "before showing you,"- it's viewed as an admission of guilt.  KEEP TO THE CODE!   

Go forth and bring CASH.  Linger at the tables, meet others with the same affliction(s).  Be forewarned-second thoughts about purchasing something off of these tables, doesn't yield second chances, very often.  Wander no more... your search is over and you'll be amongst friends.

You will not regret it, I guarantee you that.  Great SHOW-Great PEOPLE-Great STUFF (tons of everything) and such a deal at US$20.00, for admission.

Oh, we'll all be right behind you, supporting you all the way-at a safe distance, of course!  ;D ;D

2ndCharter

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 09:03:26 PM »
Mr. Hansen, you are a man who has been in my shoes before. I've gotten the comments "it always seem like Xmas around here for you" because UPS makes daily deliveries. Then I had to split up the shipments to my office. I find household honey do projects that suit my needs to purchase a new tool. I've denied something being new as to my thoroughness in keeping my "kit" clean.

All very good advice. I'll try to attend next year.