Author Topic: Powder Tins  (Read 5273 times)

Offline Feltwad

Powder Tins
« on: August 05, 2010, 11:16:03 AM »
Enclosed are a couple of images of old powder tins which are now collectable most older shooters of muzzle loaders will remember them
Feltwad

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 01:55:40 PM by Feltwad »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Powder Tins
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 06:32:38 PM »
Nice, I just picked up some antique powder cans, got no idea of the value , but I suspect they aren't cheap any more.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 07:58:48 PM »
You mean powder doesn't come in those tims anymore?  I'm still shooting powder I bought on 1975.  My .32 cal doesn't require much powder as you can see!
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

oldiemkr

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 08:06:42 PM »
Somewhere along the line I came across two of those oval Dupont powder cans w/ original powder in them.

Anyone know what they are worth? Good shape 2f I think.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 08:52:28 PM »
Nice, I just picked up some antique powder cans, got no idea of the value , but I suspect they aren't cheap any more.
Mike,
You need to give your neighbors, the American Pickers, a call.  They'll give you a price and probably have a field day going thru your stuff.  Maybe they'll even put you on TV.

You just have to remember one basic tenet:
How come your junk is stuff and my stuff is junk.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 10:07:34 PM »
I've got two of the red Curtis & Harvey cans with the powder in them.

Online smokinbuck

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 10:25:10 PM »
Oldie,
Around here, central Ohio, a set of  F,FF,FFF,FFFF in good condition can bring up to $200.
Mark
Mark

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 10:40:33 PM »
I looked up the Dupont cans on Gunbroker and ebay.  Minty (like mine) are "listed" at $80. I don't know what they actually sell for. "listed" and "actual" sale price are usually different numbers. ;)
 I have a friend that is a bottle picker. He says those pickers in Le claire aren't as smart as they think.... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

oldiemkr

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 09:40:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies on prices.

Its about the same as the last time I "found " these cans in my treasures.

Saw one empty at OGCA show years ago for $75.  I know the guy and it reappeared on his table. He said it was the same one and never sold.

Now that you bring it up I like the idea of a set from 1f to 4f.

Denny

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 10:03:31 PM »
A Number of years ago when I did the Studio photograph for Goex's 80th year Anniversary poster I was privy to a whole bunch of antique powder cans. Of course I choose the ones most artistically illustrative of their 80 years of business.However there were some real beauties that escaped the photo!
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Ben Gorey

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 02:50:21 AM »
Back in the 1950's-60's I purchased powder in the oval Dupont cans for $1.25.  Along about 1980 I got $20.00 each for the empty cans. Can't beat that for total hobby enjoyment.