Author Topic: Building a Chunk Gun  (Read 129453 times)

Offline okieboy

Re: Building a Chunk Gun
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2011, 04:45:23 AM »
 The browning is done, every thing has been soaked with WD40 and will start being assembled tomorrow. Here are a few photos to bring things up to date.
 I always engrave the date on the bottom flat of the barrel and I sign on the top. All of my engraving is chased with a small mallet.
 The next two photos show the barrel with browning and the small parts after browning and oiling.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 12:03:56 AM by okieboy »
Okieboy

Offline okieboy

« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2011, 04:38:32 AM »
  Run a few screws, drive a few pins, and bang you've got a rifle gun! I will pretty much let the pictures do the talking, but will mention that in some photos the barrel looks reddish, where as in person it is black.
 I got it out to the range yesterday and fired seven shots (it was 85 degrees out), three for spotting and four with targets. My fourth target was the best. I am sure it is going to take some serious time at the range to get gun and shooter working as a successful team, but I think that I am off to a good start.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 12:19:23 AM by okieboy »
Okieboy

Offline okieboy

« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2011, 04:12:41 AM »
 Thank you one and all. Sorry if I have been a little slow responding, but our internet was out for a while. The gun is pretty much what I wanted, a long sight radius, heavy enough to shoot steady, but light enough to manage. It came out trimmer than what I had expected and that's OK with me. Generally I feel that it is a good enough gun for me to determine how good a shooter I can become. I wanted plain and it is very plain, but  tight and solid.
 I will shoot in Iowa in a few days and although I won't have enough practice under my belt, hopefully I can produce one target that I won't be embarrassed to post.
 I appreciate everyone who has encouraged me and I appreciate everyone that has offered different views of how to do things. There is no doubt that I have gotten more than I have given in this experience. Thank you all once again.
Okieboy

Offline okieboy

« Reply #128 on: September 04, 2011, 06:33:38 AM »
 First off, let me explain that I am tardy in my replies because I went on from the Iowa shoot to Oklahoma and just got back tonight. For those of you that have not had the pleasure of shooting with the fine people of Iowa or of getting to meet Mr. Bookout, I will recommend both experiences without reservation.
 Thank you Steve, you are too kind.
 I will post some pics of the Iowa's Original Chunk Gun Shoot tomorrow under the shooting section.
 Thanks Deano. My next project will probably be a squirrel rifle, so that I can focus on forging the hardware, but right now I am going to put some effort into living up to my new gun's potential.
 Thanks jmdavis, the coach and I have to choose which events we can attend each year and there are many temptations to choose from.
 Thank you mbokie5. I would not use a table saw, as a rip needs to be guided and the shape of a stock makes this difficult. Some people on here have good success with jig saws (good ones, not cheap ones). I own a table saw and am very careful about its operation, table saws and pedestal or bench grinders are generally the two most dangerous tools in most home shops. My father no longer plays the fiddle because of a table saw event that took less than two seconds.
 Here is a pic of Mr. Bookout giving my new gun his scrutiny.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 12:28:06 AM by okieboy »
Okieboy

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #129 on: September 13, 2011, 11:17:22 PM »
Well now Okie you gave us a darn nice tour while you were abuilding.  We await more pictures of the results...  We watch every item as you can tell.... ::)

I must ask (a constructive question)  Have you noticed any fliers at 1 O'clockl??
Most of us noticed that hard wood rest you lay your cant section of stock on to shoot her, with no sort of a pad and you rest her well out there on the stock??
Or have you found the sweet spot right off from the get go?

Inquiring or nosey minds need to know...... :D ;)

docone

« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2011, 04:56:19 AM »
I have just joined the forum, and it is my honour to be here!
The pictorial on the build is absolutely wonderful! Good detail, good explanation, just seeing how it grew from parts is amazing.
I am planning on building a full stock Hawken. I got a lot to learn. I am a jeweler, so I do have some skills.
To all, thanks for letting me in, and to this builder,
Awsome!
Great job.

greybeard

« Reply #131 on: October 27, 2011, 12:35:49 AM »
I have just joined the forum, and it is my honour to be here!
The pictorial on the build is absolutely wonderful! Good detail, good explanation, just seeing how it grew from parts is amazing.
I am planning on building a full stock Hawken. I got a lot to learn. I am a jeweler, so I do have some skills.
To all, thanks for letting me in, and to this builder,
Awsome!
Great job.
docone;  You are in for a real treat on this site.Welcome. Just have to ask for help aand advice . Theres a wealth of knowledge to be gleaned here.   Bob

docone

« Reply #132 on: October 27, 2011, 01:56:37 AM »
Thank for the welcome!
I feel it is a privilege to be with such artisans.
Can we say Breatheless? Sure.
I am looking forward to learning, and I suspect I can learn a lot here!