Author Topic: A couple of old horns  (Read 4412 times)

Offline B.Barker

A couple of old horns
« on: September 30, 2010, 09:59:45 PM »
Here are a couple of horns that I have in my collection. The top one has a border around the base and has A Smith January 28 1827 on it. The decoration and inscription is done in very small dots. It is hard to see in person and I'm not good enough with a camera to show it here. It has a horn screw in the base that can be removed to fill the horn. The screw has what looks to be hand filed threads but the base plug has very neat threads in it. They fit very snug togather when the horn screw is all the way in. I'm not sure how they put the threads in the base. The other horn has some engraving on it but no date or name. There is a bird, an anchor and some unidenifialbe stuff besides the border at the base. Both horn have iron staple's for strap holders at the rear of the horn. I like the top horn the best and used it for a couple of years before I retired it again.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 06:43:40 PM by rich pierce »

eseabee1

Re: A couple of old horns
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 11:09:24 PM »
I really like the bottom one. But that top one has a neat feature with that plug ..THanks for sharing

Gun Butcher

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 11:44:12 PM »
  Very interesting and very nice. I appreciate you posting them for us
Ron

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 12:57:02 AM »
 Two great horns, the top one especially! Is that ring at the neck part of the horn or is it applied? Part of is my guess. Looks like it has a couple of panels on it. That screw is really neat, wouldn't you like to have been looking over the shoulder when that was made!

Thanks For Posting, Tim C.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 01:04:21 AM »
Brian great looking horns and thanks for sharing them with us. 

Now here is a great example of a horn looking like wants to be worn on the left (top, tip area leaning into the body), but is set up to wear on the right so the tip points up and out?  I base this observation by noting the way the rear staple is set up.  The original owner must have worn this on his right? 

And I love that horn screw idea. 

Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 05:52:08 AM »
Those are great looking horns!  I especially like the threaded "plug". I've never seen anything like it.  Any idea where they came from?

Bill
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 12:36:43 PM »
The ring is part of the horn and it is set up for right hand carry. The top horn I was informed when I got it came out of Ontario Canada. Tim if your going to be at Log Cabin next weekend I can bring the horn and you can take a look.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 02:00:27 PM »
 Thanks Brian, that would be great.

Tim C.