Author Topic: Butcher/Skinner Knife  (Read 17712 times)

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
Butcher/Skinner Knife
« on: June 26, 2008, 11:39:40 PM »
Here are some pictures of an old knife I picked up a couple of days ago. I don't know what I am going to do with it because it doesn't exactly fit into the French & Indian War period that i do. Maybe I will pull the scales off it and make some new ones?

It is probably a 19th or early 20th century knife. I believe the handle scales are walnut. It would probably go good with one of those southern style hunting pouches that my buddy Tim Albert makes. The blade is almost 10 inches long and the handle is 5-1/2 inches long.

Randy Hedden
www.harddogrifles.com

« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 09:54:59 PM by Ky-Flinter »
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
Re: Butcher/Skinner Knife
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 12:08:40 AM »
I'd make a sheath, sharpen it up and take it hunting.  Would be great for boning out an elk or other large animal in lieu of carrying all those inedible bones!
Mike Lee

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 12:43:01 AM »
I think that the "old file" brand was introduced by by a pair of brothers (?) in Havana illinois...
they had a 6 pin version early on about 1906 ish.....and "Old File" went under as a company
about the mid 1960s...that one pictured might have had "old File" embossed on the handle as well, and
looks like a later one?

As is, an "old file" kitchen knife can fetch about $20~30 bucks to a collector...they are very
good working knives.
T.C.Albert
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 01:03:34 AM »
Tim,

just looked up "old file" brand knives. 1906-1966 in Hanana, IL. Funny that I didn't know about them as Havana used to be one of my old stomping grounds. Nice knife anyway and in a shape that I don't see very often. I picked up another old knife at the same time, but it is not marked and is the classic "butcher" shape.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

FlintRock Rob

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 07:43:24 AM »
I wouldn't change a thing. Just looking at the knives pictured in James Johnston's "Accouterments II, or III, and the Madison Grant "Hunting Pouches" books there are ones that have similar blade shapes.